Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2021, 03:30 PM   #41
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzl_ View Post
Buses, Delivery trucks, etc, are used long and hard and sold off at auction often when the fleet managers deem the likelihood of mechanic issues/breakdown/etc to outweigh the additional cost of replacement.

From the 10,000 ft view, covering these vehicles is probably a money loser, or at least a risk, considering the higher probability of breakdown compared with your average RV.
School buses are the most regulated vehicles and have the fewest fatalities in our nation. They are inspected often and must be kept in a safe condition. They seldom carry full capacity loads and many aren't even used year-round. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a bus for my personal use.

BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 03:53 PM   #42
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
A lot of districts get rid of busses that are either having or show signs they soon will have mechanical issues.. sure some districts age them out but you often see people on skoolie Facebook groups with 2012,2013 etc busses.. schools aren’t aging those out. They are likely out because they had issues..

Often after purchase a skoolie sits a year or more while it’s being converted. Many times the original bus systems are modified or even compromised (how many.. “I’m on a trip and my bus won’t start “ posts so we see.. because wiring was distributed during conversion or cut and spliced etc.. vehicles parked for long periods are more prone to issues..

All things that might cause an owner to need roadside assistance much more than the bus would’ve had it been stock. Once good Sam makes enough roadside calls that it exceeds their intake in premiums then it becomes a no brainer to cancel that segment which caused the excessive call outs..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 06:13 PM   #43
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewo1 View Post
So this is what it says on their brochure….

https://images.goodsam.com/goodsamro...0MBB%20web.pdf

SERVICE LIMITATIONS
The Good Sam Platinum+ Roadside Assistance program does not provide reimbursement for the cost of parts (including keys), fuel or labor for repairs or installation of replacement parts. Other exclusions include expenses resulting from calls from cellular phones, storage charges, delays or displacement, or clean-up. Unless expressly listed in this benefit brochure, expenses incurred for hotels, meals, campgrounds, car rentals, taxi fare or airfare while a Member’s vehicle is disabled or being repaired are not included.
VEHICLES NOT COVERED BY THE GOOD SAM PLATINUM+ ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE PROGRAM INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
• Stolen, vandalized, or impounded vehicles.
• Utility trailers of any type being used for non-recreational purposes, animal
trailers, and vehicles used to transport show animals.
• Tiny Home trailers and Park Model trailers.
• Vehicles located outside the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin
Islands and Mexico.
• Vehicles in a repair facility, off-road area9, sand beach area, or any unattended,
unlicensed, or abandoned vehicles.
• Commercial/business vehicles and trailers (including but not limited to
limousines), vehicles specifically designed for commercial or business purposes.

So, a school bus was initially designed as a commercial vehicle. Once you change the title to an RV it technically no longer is a commercial vehicle.

So I would have to question them, does an MCI oR Prevost coach qualify for coverage? Those busses were initially designed as commercial vehicles!

I would argue that once you change the title to RV, the “Commercial”
Status no longer applies and since once it is converted, the change in usage clearly is no longer “ commercial”.

Sure would be nice if they modified their service plans to include the Skoolie community.
I reached out to them via their website:

I have a 1999 E450 shuttle bus converted to a recreational vehicle.... Does Good Sam cover converted shuttle buses if they are registered as an RV? I've heard there may be limitations.

Their response:
"Thank you for contacting Roadside Assistance. We do not cover bus conversions of any kind.

If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to email me back directly or Roadside Assistance at (800) 842-5351."

Pretty definitive, even if their brochure is not.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 10:34 AM   #44
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucker View Post
I reached out to them via their website:

I have a 1999 E450 shuttle bus converted to a recreational vehicle.... Does Good Sam cover converted shuttle buses if they are registered as an RV? I've heard there may be limitations.

Their response:
"Thank you for contacting Roadside Assistance. We do not cover bus conversions of any kind.

If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to email me back directly or Roadside Assistance at (800) 842-5351."
Follow-up: I called their number and explained that I have what amounts to a standard class C chassis. The person on the phone suggested I send pictures, which I did, with the following information:

The bus is a 1999 Ford E450 with about 127K miles, in great running condition. I’m just now finishing the interior. It has recent tires, so I’m pretty sure it’s about the same as any standard class C rig in terms of operation and reliability. The conversion didn’t touch any of the drive train or chassis electrical-I left that original. The only external changes I made were adding solar panels and a bumper extension. I expect to add an awning early next year.

The response:
Thank you for sending the picture it was reviewed and Good Sam don’t cover.

Maybe in their eyes it's Deadheads meets the homeless, and just too many sketched out claptrap bus conversions with multiple tows.

The skoolie community could use an advocate in these roadside assistance services.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 11:36 AM   #45
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Skoolie community needs a seat on the RVIA board too!
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 11:47 AM   #46
Skoolie

Chassis: 2000 Int Amtran
Engine: DT466HT
Rated Cap: 84
It's all but over. The non running busses are getting ready to go up in price. Because now the busses are just tiny homes you need towed to new location. My plan now is to take take the motor and transmission out, sell them and make it a 40 ft trailer. If I need it moved I will hire it done. Pay the insurance company, because if we can still find insurance in 24 months it will be cost prohibitive or pay somebody to transport it. It isn't the insurance companies, they love your money. The regulators are the problem. The last thing they can afford is for you to feel free and not tied to the SYSTEM. (They) will do everything possible to make sure that avenue is taken from you. I realized this 3 months after I dropped 1000's on a great bus! We all have to rethink this, obviously.
MacC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 12:23 PM   #47
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacC View Post
It's all but over. The non running busses are getting ready to go up in price. Because now the busses are just tiny homes you need towed to new location. My plan now is to take take the motor and transmission out, sell them and make it a 40 ft trailer. If I need it moved I will hire it done. Pay the insurance company, because if we can still find insurance in 24 months it will be cost prohibitive or pay somebody to transport it. It isn't the insurance companies, they love your money. The regulators are the problem. The last thing they can afford is for you to feel free and not tied to the SYSTEM. (They) will do everything possible to make sure that avenue is taken from you. I realized this 3 months after I dropped 1000's on a great bus! We all have to rethink this, obviously.
Well, did you read the thread entirely? It’s not insurance that Good Sam is canceling, it’s roadside assistance. Big difference.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 04:51 PM   #48
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466 / MD3060
Jumpin to the chaos, hopefully this helps??

I just recieved my Good Sam / National General INSURANCE docs in the mail. All good.
Good Sam / Nat Gen Insurance is still available for us.

I did not have roadside assistance with them - but enough people here and reddit have confirmed ROADSIDE ASSITANCE is canceled now for converted commercial vehicles.
Good Sam / Nat Gen ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE is a no go.

I'm calling Coach Net in the next few days to set up our roadside assistance, I'll report back my findings.
A_Bus_Called_Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 06:28 AM   #49
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaTRON View Post
Both AAA and Coach-Net do not service WA (or some others), which at this point it seems I'm out of options for getting Road-Side Assistance coverage on my skoolie.

Does anyone know of any other possible options???
Just keep some money aside for such situations where you might need a tow.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 07:33 AM   #50
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post

thats pretty much what i do.. make sure i have the funds and resources to handle a breakdown should ione occur..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 01:44 PM   #51
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
I recently re-registered my Crown as a Motor Home, and so far I have no notification from Good Sam that my roadside assistance is canceled. Maybe because Crown is not a current manufacturer, nobody at GS knows what Crown made? I always use the term "40 foot diesel pusher motorhome" when dealing with insurance and roadside assistance providers. We'll see.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 02:32 PM   #52
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
My one tow cost me $225. Not the end of the world, obviously.
Old 11-06-2021, 02:32 PM   #53
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacC View Post
The last thing they can afford is for you to feel free and not tied to the SYSTEM.
Happy birthday to the ground!
Old 11-06-2021, 04:38 PM   #54
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: Oshkosh
Engine: 5.9L 6BT / MT643
Rated Cap: 26
Cool

Quote:
Will that be Visa or Mastercard?
NovaTRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 04:40 PM   #55
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: Oshkosh
Engine: 5.9L 6BT / MT643
Rated Cap: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Not too bad compared to SAM's $175 platinum plan that I've never used.
NovaTRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 07:25 PM   #56
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
MY one tow was nearly $500.
cost of doing bus stuff.
Old 11-06-2021, 07:27 PM   #57
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaTRON View Post
Will that be Visa or Mastercard?
Or cash, or check, or one of any forms of payment.
Credit card is handy and if you pay it off when you're not in the emergency side of the road scenario then no harm no foul.
Old 11-06-2021, 09:47 PM   #58
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
MY one tow was nearly $500.
cost of doing bus stuff.
Sounds more realistic.

For at least full size skoolies... cost savings is not one one of their advantages.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 01:19 PM   #59
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1971
Chassis: Chevy C60
Engine: unknown... really!
Rated Cap: 69
So just to clarify, there are only canceling roadside assistance, not vehicle insurance. That said, is National General the last Skoolie Insurance option around? Now that we lost allstate?

I've heard of small communities banding together to create their own health insurance cooperative that keeps costs down for everyone involved. I suspect someday we'll need to do that for skoolie insurance, as our regular options are running out!
katix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 06:19 PM   #60
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by katix View Post
So just to clarify, there are only canceling roadside assistance, not vehicle insurance. That said, is National General the last Skoolie Insurance option around? Now that we lost allstate?

I've heard of small communities banding together to create their own health insurance cooperative that keeps costs down for everyone involved. I suspect someday we'll need to do that for skoolie insurance, as our regular options are running out!
I didn't lose Allstate.