Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2021, 10:33 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas Bus
Chassis: Allison MD 3060
Engine: Catepillar 3126B 210hp/605 ft lb
Good sam cancels bus conversions

Just got an email...I could cry, between insurance woos, now this

Our records indicate you have listed a commercial vehicle (bus conversion) on your membership file. Unfortunately, commercial vehicles (including vehicles originally designed for commercial use such as limousines, box trucks, and school buses) are not covered under the Good Sam Roadside Assistance membership plans.

Now I have a bookmobile, they cancelled that too!!

2 years ago I had a 120 mile tow in AK. Totally covered. Fuel runout 4 years ago. The same.

THEY ARE COMING TO GET US

matthews2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 10:35 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466 / MD3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthews2001 View Post

Our records indicate you have listed a commercial vehicle (bus conversion) on your membership file. Unfortunately, commercial vehicles (including vehicles originally designed for commercial use such as limousines, box trucks, and school buses) are not covered under the Good Sam Roadside Assistance membership plans.

2 years ago I had a 120 mile tow in AK. Totally covered. Fuel runout 4 years ago. The same.

Oh no! I feel for you friend, insurance was giving me stress until I got my Good Sam / Nat General policy. I'm starting to think I'm waiting for a cancelation notice instead of waiting for my docs in the mail. . .

What state are you in?
A_Bus_Called_Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 11:09 AM   #3
Skoolie

Engine: CAT 3208 NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthews2001 View Post

I just got the same letter. I've had coverage from them since 2004 and NEVER used it except to jump start my daughter's car when she was at school. Seems my 1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Hearse is not covered either as it was also built as a commercial vehicle.

Oh and if your state doesn't mandate the ability to cancel auto-renew for the credit card charge you have to call member service and wait in the queue to do it.

Any suggestion for alternatives?
Old 10-27-2021, 11:40 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Oshkosh
Engine: 5.9L 6BT / MT643
Rated Cap: 26
I got the same notice.

I'm in WASHINGTON state where AAA does not cover skoolies.

My bus is registered as an RV , though I'm in the middle of coverting, so not actively driving it...
From what I gather, I don't think I have any other options-

Any suggestions?

NovaTRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 11:54 AM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: T444EIEIO
Rated Cap: 8 window?
Same here

Just contacted GoodSam for a refund of the remainder of the policy. My insurance company offers a roadside coverage plan and we have AAA for the cars. Guess I need to see who will provide coverage.
mrpincher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 11:56 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Has any body actually read their policies and if so does it contain this statement in any way shape of form;

“commercial vehicles (including vehicles originally designed for commercial use such as limousines, box trucks, and school buses) are not covered “

If the policy does not contain this then could there be a legal challenge for discriminatory practices?

I mean if it registered and an RV, then legally it’s is no longer a “commercial” vehicle.

It appears they are trying to go retroactive on their position on what an RV is.
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 12:16 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Oshkosh
Engine: 5.9L 6BT / MT643
Rated Cap: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpincher View Post
Just contacted GoodSam for a refund of the remainder of the policy. My insurance company offers a roadside coverage plan and we have AAA for the cars. Guess I need to see who will provide coverage.
Did they give you a refund?
NovaTRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 12:22 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Crown by Carpenter
Engine: 230 HP DT 466e/MT 643!
Rated Cap: 16
Yea, we just got that email too. Bastards.

Heard that Coach-net is a good alternative...anyone here have any experience with them?

Thanks!

John
johnbloem1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 12:30 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 41
yup, me too, just now

maybe we need to start a Good Sam Sucks campaign on any social platform you have access to???

They sure were happy to take my money for renewal a few months ago.
rv8flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 12:49 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Probably just too many people with poorly maintained buses that abused the system making it no longer profitable for Good Sam to cover skoolies.

Sucks, but it goes hand in hand with the insurance situation.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 12:59 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Engine: DT466 / MD3060
Are they canceing roadside assistance plans, or insurance? Or both?

I haven't heard anything from National General about our insurance . . yet?
A_Bus_Called_Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 01:17 PM   #12
Skoolie

Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: T444EIEIO
Rated Cap: 8 window?
Hey NovaTRON -

I called to ask the status of my Roadside Assistance policy. They confirmed a letter was sent and asked if I had an RV / bus conversion and then said they were cancelling the policy. Asked if they were planning to refund the balance of the coverage. They confirmed my CC# and said the refund would appear in 3-5 days.

I never actually used their towing service. I called them in June and discussed the option of a tow and they did a good job sourcing services in the area I was sitting in. It was a good experience, working with their agent. Will find another service provider.

I have all new tires and the engine / transmission is checked out yearly by our local International garage. Only reason I should need a tow is because of an accident or I get stuck in the mud.
mrpincher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 01:23 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 41
Just called as well

(cross post here)

on the phone right now, GoodSam is playing pass the ball, as they are bouncing around and nobody seems to wanna talk about this cancelation.

"andrea" informed me it has always been like this, after which I asked why they have been taking my money since 2016? no good answer forthcoming, asked if they knew since 2016 they are not insuring my vehicle despite me telling them every year what the vehicle I am insuring? And would that not constitute fraud, to which "andrea" commented, the system is slow... 2016 slow? seriously?

"andrea's" next updated response: oh no, you always been covered, its a change in the last 30 days.

so now I am on my 4th transfer, trying to get money back, cancel auto renewal, etc.

now talking to "brenda" who told me there are a 1000 or so members affected. She has no clue what or why this rule chance, but 'brenda" restituted the 10 remaining months of the roadside assistance, and after some poking, also the full amount of the club membership.

i would suggest, flood the phone lines with complaints.

I would also drop a line to your local State Insurance Commissioner about GoodSam's cancelation practices.

and oh by the way, GoodSam's new and improved website does not work nicely with Chrome or Safari, please use other browsers, according to "brenda", so if yer having log in problems......
rv8flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 01:35 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Wait!!

The OPs post indicates roadside assistance

THATS NOT INSURANCE

Does anyone know insurance status? They are different things
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 01:45 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIbluebird View Post
Probably just too many people with poorly maintained buses that abused the system making it no longer profitable for Good Sam to cover skoolies.

Sucks, but it goes hand in hand with the insurance situation.
I believe this train of thought also covers Walmart's recent hesitancy to allow overnight parking (in some locations). Too many unkempt bosses taking advantage
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 02:06 PM   #16
Skoolie

Looks like coach-net is familiar with and accepts skoolies, at least as of 2016.

https://blog.coach-net.com/2016/03/0...ith-coach-net/

I queried them this morning via their Contact Us form but have not yet heard back. I suspect they are getting inundated.
Old 10-27-2021, 02:24 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
This Post is BS

I called NG/Good Sam. They are actively writing policies for buses/persons that meet their criteria. Nothing has changed.

Please, let’s keep our conspiracy theories limited to microchips in vaccines
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 02:31 PM   #18
Skoolie

Coachwork: Thomas Bus
Chassis: Allison MD 3060
Engine: Catepillar 3126B 210hp/605 ft lb
ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE IS CANCELLED BY GOOD SAM

Insurance always a PIA
matthews2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 02:32 PM   #19
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
I called NG/Good Sam. They are actively writing policies for buses/persons that meet their criteria. Nothing has changed.

Please, let’s keep our conspiracy theories limited to microchips in vaccines

I talked to them this morning. If it used to be a school bus they will not cover it for Roadside Assistance. The gentleman I talked to said it was a new policy as of this year. The email I received from them was quite explicit:
Our records indicate you have listed a commercial vehicle (bus conversion) on your membership file. Unfortunately, commercial vehicles (including vehicles originally designed for commercial use such as limousines, box trucks, and school buses) are not covered under the Good Sam Roadside Assistance membership plans. You can rest assured, however, that your membership does cover all of your non-commercial household vehicles as listed within your Member Benefit Brochure. If our records are incorrect and you do not have a bus conversion, please give us a call to update your vehicle information.

Please review your Member Benefit Brochure, which can be found at www.goodsamroadside.com/mbbs, for a complete explanation of your coverage and for any future services you may require.

Thank you for choosing Roadside Assistance. If you have any further questions or would like to make any adjustments to your membership or the vehicles listed on file, please contact Member Services at 800-234-3450.

Sincerely,

Roadside Assistance Coordinator
Old 10-27-2021, 03:12 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Honestly, while I understand this is a big bummer and let down for the people that were using this service (and roadside assistance is an invaluable service to have), I think it makes some sense from their perspective.

Buses, Delivery trucks, etc, are used long and hard and sold off at auction often when the fleet managers deem the likelihood of mechanic issues/breakdown/etc to outweigh the additional cost of replacement.

From the 10,000 ft view, covering these vehicles is probably a money loser, or at least a risk, considering the higher probability of breakdown compared with your average RV.

Cancelling abruptly and refunding the money (prorated) with little warning or explanation while shitty to be on the receiving end of is fairly standard with insurance/cc's/big bureaucracies. I dont think 'complaining to the insurance commisioner', starting angry FB groups, etc will have any effect. And I'm sure there right to cancel at their discretion was explictily stated somewhere in the reams of fine print we all must sign these days.
dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote