Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2017, 12:29 PM   #61
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmic View Post
That sucks ECCB. I hope you are able to get them out of your hair soon.
They're telling me that even if I have it enclosed in a building, I'm not allowed to have a bus on my property even for an hour.
Apparently someone was living in a school bus in front of their friends house right in the damn street last year and ruined it for all of us. They made an ordinance and are being really really adamant about it. Apparently the school bus dwellers didn't move until the city made an ordinance specifically to "remedy" the situation.
They'll "consider" letting me keep it here if its registered as an RV. But then I have to lie to the state and hope Progressive doesn't drop me. And even then, there are no guarantees I can keep it.
SOB's!!!!!!!!

The code enforcer called me today, as well, to let me know I don't have "enough" trees in my yard.
None of this was an issue when the bank owned my house- it was grown over with vegetation and crumbling when I bought it. I put tens of thousands into it and make it a decent house and they come down on me with ordinances that didn't even exist when I bought the house.
I don't wanna back down, I actually wanna FIGHT someone over this.
But roxy and I are discussing our options. Not that we have many, but we gotta get a battle plan together.
The city wants $400 for me to have a hearing about this!!!!!

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:53 PM   #62
Bus Geek

I just got off the phone with my insurance agent. They're going to call Progressive and find out about the RV registration. I explicitly told them that I'm NOT converting them, I just need to change the registration to be able to park. My agent is SUPER cool. He's on the phone talking to progressive and is gonna call me back and let me know. Now I dont' have to gamble on it and possibly lose my insurance. That's the LAST thing I need!
If I can insure them registered as RV's I'll go ahead and park BOTH buses in my yard. DOUBLE down on the city vs bus fun!!!!
Old 05-05-2017, 01:01 PM   #63
Bus Geek

ANNNNND the word is in- Progressive doesn't give a rats ass what its registered as. They said as long as my stated purpose for the vehicle hasn't changed they don't care what the title or registration say!
WIN!
Now I just gotta go fill out two affadavits (one for each bus) and then I have to submit copies to the city. Then they say they'll consider letting me park as long as I'm within the RV parking regs.
I can get a steel shed big enough for both my buses for about $3500 installed.
That and some privacy fence and I should have no more worries.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:04 PM   #64
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
$400 just for a hearing... wtf
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
They're telling me that even if I have it enclosed in a building, I'm not allowed to have a bus on my property even for an hour.
Apparently someone was living in a school bus in front of their friends house right in the damn street last year and ruined it for all of us. They made an ordinance and are being really really adamant about it. Apparently the school bus dwellers didn't move until the city made an ordinance specifically to "remedy" the situation.
They'll "consider" letting me keep it here if its registered as an RV. But then I have to lie to the state and hope Progressive doesn't drop me. And even then, there are no guarantees I can keep it.
SOB's!!!!!!!!

The code enforcer called me today, as well, to let me know I don't have "enough" trees in my yard.
None of this was an issue when the bank owned my house- it was grown over with vegetation and crumbling when I bought it. I put tens of thousands into it and make it a decent house and they come down on me with ordinances that didn't even exist when I bought the house.
I don't wanna back down, I actually wanna FIGHT someone over this.
But roxy and I are discussing our options. Not that we have many, but we gotta get a battle plan together.
The city wants $400 for me to have a hearing about this!!!!!
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 01:21 PM   #65
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadsled01 View Post
$400 just for a hearing... wtf
Yeah, she could barely look me in the eye when telling me that.
Lake County FL in general is RIFE with local govt corruption. EVERY member of the commission are members of the mayors family, his business associates, etc.

I gotta get my house sold, get some land, and live FREE.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:47 PM   #66
Bus Geek

A song for fightin!
Old 05-05-2017, 02:01 PM   #67
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
good deal on progressive.. I got my renewal.. one of ny busses is reigstered as an RV and the other is a Bus, they havent said a word to me.. the conversation I had echoes what your agent said.. progressive asked me when I got the policy 'is this bus staying a bus?', "yep!". . and both busses have rows of seats to prove it.. we know your shorty is still a bus, as it still has rows of seats...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 02:02 PM   #68
Almost There

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Gensis
I offer a solution:

SKOOLIE CONVENTION! ! !
Where? The town where EastCoastCB lives
Duration? Until the streets are no longer blocked and the buses.. ahem Skoolies can drive away.

They dont like one? Wait till they get aload of tha skoolies!

*could paint United Airlines on the side of a few buses and watch em run!*
Old 05-05-2017, 02:51 PM   #69
Skoolie

That really sucks

Home ownership in not what it's cracked up to be. I am anxiously looking forward to selling my McMansion in the suburbs and living more free.
mysty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 03:01 PM   #70
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crozz View Post
I offer a solution:

SKOOLIE CONVENTION! ! !
Where? The town where EastCoastCB lives
Duration? Until the streets are no longer blocked and the buses.. ahem Skoolies can drive away.

They dont like one? Wait till they get aload of tha skoolies!

*could paint United Airlines on the side of a few buses and watch em run!*
IDk about forty footers, but LETSS HAVE A SHORTY PARTY HERE SOON!
Old 05-05-2017, 03:05 PM   #71
Bus Geek

So BIG news.
I took a ten min moped cruise to the tag office, handed them a handwritten "affadavit" on a small sheet of notebook paper. I don't even think I signed it.
They took it to the back office... about twenty minutes later they emerge with my new MH title. The REAL title will be here in 7-10 business days. FL is so easy when it comes to converting to "motorhome". They didn't even charge me anything. Not a dime! I was SHOCKED!!!!!!!
The code guy gave me an extension till the 22nd. I'm gonna put up some fence, anyhow, since Dixie will enjoy the space to run around.
Fingers crossed- I may have this solved.
I'm gonna convert the title on RYO too, and get a huge building to park it in here in my yard.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:24 PM   #72
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
You know when you build it you have to build the biggest, ugliest building that meets all the cities ordinances right? Or, maybe a giant mural on all sides of a photo realistic school bus would do?
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 03:47 PM   #73
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I wondered about that what if you built a SHED the shape of a school bus and painted it like that in the yard... LOL..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 03:56 PM   #74
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
You won't do well taunting the counsel with murals of a bus on your new building. It just doesn't pay to live in or near the city, unless you're a good sheep.

They're putting a lot of effort into irritating you. You can placate them for a while but this isn't going to go away. As a real estate appraiser, I see you currently being in a position of power to collect more than you currently believe your property is worth.

Consider the options.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:36 PM   #75
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
You won't do well taunting the counsel with murals of a bus on your new building. It just doesn't pay to live in or near the city, unless you're a good sheep.

They're putting a lot of effort into irritating you. You can placate them for a while but this isn't going to go away. As a real estate appraiser, I see you currently being in a position of power to collect more than you currently believe your property is worth.

Consider the options.
We do plan on buying land outside town. But I'm determined to have a daily driver bus at my HOUSE!
I've never been one to take things lying down. I'll fight to the end.
I think we may be making some good progress. The city said they're willing to work with me on keeping it if its an RV even on paper, which it is.
Putting up a privacy fence, re-titling, and painting the house should appease them.
We've also decided we need to occasionally attend commission meetings.
If they play nice and they're cool from here out and I win and get to keep my bus here, I'll even send em donuts.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:38 PM   #76
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughridge85 View Post
You know when you build it you have to build the biggest, ugliest building that meets all the cities ordinances right? Or, maybe a giant mural on all sides of a photo realistic school bus would do?
According to the development manager and code guy, if its titled as an RV I won't really even need a building. All I'd technically have to do is park it behind the frontline of the house.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:40 PM   #77
Bus Nut

Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Nice, that'll save you some money.
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 06:11 PM   #78
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughridge85 View Post
Nice, that'll save you some money.
They apparently will have a meeting to discuss and hopefully ok my request once I show them the "mh" registration.
I'm thinking a privacy fence around the place I'll be parking it could help me seal the deal, idk.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:33 PM   #79
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
I am glad that the only rule my town has is that it has to be parked on a paved driveway or slab, took the town over 3 years to tell me I could not park my cadillac in the grass next to the driveway, after I had already contracted to have a 10 by 80 slab poured next to the driveway
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:09 PM   #80
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
If you truely believe "they" are out to harass you until you sell out, why you gonna gamble your $$ ???
Deeper pockets will win.
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote