Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2017, 08:55 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird All American Re
Engine: Cat 3126
Has anyone got a bus title changed to motor home in Mississippi?

Hello, has anybody successfully had a bus title changed to RV or MH for motorhome in Mississippi? If so did you do it when you first bought the bus and transferred it to your name or did you have to transfer it as a bus first then have it changed later? Were there any hoops to jump through or was it just a matter of asking them to do it?
Thanks!

bridg73988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 01:34 PM   #2

I tried in Yalobusha county. No dice.

After waiting on the clerk to make countless phone calls to Jackson, we were told that MS does not change registrations/titles. They said it must always be registered as a school bus.

I don't believe them.

I think our particular request was likely beyond the IQ capacity of these particular government workers, but instead of admitting this, they simply said we couldn't do it.

As for insurance, we have talked to our Shelter Insurance agent, and they've assured us that they will insure it when we're ready to do so. We're not moving it until next year, so we'll do it then. We'll most likely just re-register it wherever we end up.
SippiHippyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:30 PM   #3
Skoolie

My bus came from Mississippi already titled as a RV. I asked the seller if it was a northern bus because I didn't want a rust bucket. He said it was from a school district the next county over in MS.
The title HAD to be converted in MS. The only thing that resembles a RV is the couch & generator. That's it.

Good luck.
BigDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 03:36 PM   #4

😒 sigh MS

So did y’all ever get it switched over or nah? I didn’t figure those 🦃 in Jackson had enough sense to figure it out.
Svco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:38 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: FE Bus
Engine: DT-466 7.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 77
?

Oversized Vehicles – Titling and Lien Perfection

35.VII.06.16 Mississippi Administrative Code
Part 7, Subpart 6, Chapter16

Vehicles that exceed eight ( feet in width and/or thirteen (13) feet (6) inches in height are excluded from being titled under the Motor Vehicle Title Act. THIS EXCLUDES MOBILE HOMES.

A Security interest in such vehicles is perfected under the “Uniform Commercial Code by delivery of the required documents to the Chancery Clerk of a county of the State of Mississippi.
CMORGANSKOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 02:11 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMORGANSKOOL View Post
Oversized Vehicles – Titling and Lien Perfection

35.VII.06.16 Mississippi Administrative Code
Part 7, Subpart 6, Chapter16

Vehicles that exceed eight ( feet in width and/or thirteen (13) feet (6) inches in height are excluded from being titled under the Motor Vehicle Title Act. THIS EXCLUDES MOBILE HOMES.

A Security interest in such vehicles is perfected under the “Uniform Commercial Code by delivery of the required documents to the Chancery Clerk of a county of the State of Mississippi.
What does any of that have to do with a school bus?
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 02:35 PM   #7
Bus Nut

?

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
What does any of that have to do with a school bus?
A school bus is an oversized vehicle. Doesn't it fall under this code?
Old 08-15-2018, 04:01 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Quote:
A school bus is an oversized vehicle. Doesn't it fall under this code?
It's not over 13' tall or 8' wide, so how does it fall under this code?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:13 PM   #9
Bus Nut

?

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
96" bumper tip to tip is 8'
I know height varies especially with roof lifts.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/25276600@N04/9410194921/
Old 08-15-2018, 04:15 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
https://www.flickr.com/photos/25276600@N04/9410194921/
96' bumper tip to tip is 8'
I know height varies with model and roof lifts.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:51 PM   #11
Skoolie

Does a roof raise count?
Old 08-15-2018, 05:19 PM   #12
Bus Nut

?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridg73988 View Post
Does a roof raise count?
That's exactly what I was suggesting. A roof raise or body lift covers height and measure from the corners of the bumpers and you're in with 8' + wide.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:26 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Quote:
That's exactly what I was suggesting. A roof raise or body lift covers height and measure from the corners of the bumpers and you're in with 8' + wide.
I believe you are mistaken. I own 2 buses, an 87 and a 99. Neither of them have bumpers that exceed the width of the body. And no school bus that I know of is wider than 7'6" inside. My 37' Genesis is 2" short of 8' wide outside.
bridg, if the roof raise made it more than 13' it would apply in that state.
You would be legal to drive there if you were from out of state, but the rule would apply to you if you try and register it in that state. Correcting myself, the limit is 13'6" and not the 13' I mentioned before.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:44 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/Allison
Rated Cap: 74
Yes I believe if you are over 13'6" you are prohibited for going anywhere in the US as that is Federal height maximum and although most states allow 102" width I have not seen a skoolie that wide. My bluebird is 7'6" inside with 2" thick walls that makes it 7'10" 2" less than max legal width any where in the country with my 14" roof lift my bus is 11'4" a full 2' under legal max height. Gene
Old 09-19-2020, 02:01 AM   #15

Quote:
Hello, has anybody successfully had a bus title changed to RV or MH for motorhome in Mississippi? If so did you do it when you first bought the bus and transferred it to your name or did you have to transfer it as a bus first then have it changed later? Were there any hoops to jump through or was it just a matter of asking them to do it?
Thanks!
So were you able to get the title transferred, any tips. I am in Biloxi trying to do the same
edkiul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 09:03 AM   #16
Skoolie

Motor Vehicles Rules and Regulations
Title 35, Part VII, Sub-parts 1-4 of the Mississippi Administrative Code includes rules and regulations concerning Motor​ Vehicle registration and related topics.

35.VII.6.04 Mississippi Administrative Code
Part VII, Subpart 6, Chapter 04

Section 104

“Motor Home” means a vehicular unit, designed to provide temporary living quarters, built into as an integral part of, or permanently attached to, a self- propelled Motor Vehicle chassis. [U]The vehicle must contain permanently installed independent life support systems which meet the ANSI/NFPA 501 C standard, and provide at least four of the following facilities: cooking, refrigeration or ice box, self-contained toilet, heating and/or air conditioning, a portable water supply system including a faucet and sink, separate 110-125 volt electrical power supply and/or a LP gas supply.

Ok, so there is the legal. The real deal is this. You must call the Mississippi Department of Public Safety - Driver’s License Station on Hwy 67 and get an appointment to get your "bus motorhome conversion" inspected, these are the same officers that inspect rebuilt cars with salvage titles. They will be looking to see if it is "livable". "Livable" meaning it meets the requirements listed below...

The vehicle must contain permanently installed independent life support systems which meet the ANSI/NFPA 501 C standard, and provide at least four of the following facilities: cooking, refrigeration or ice box, self-contained toilet, heating and/or air conditioning, a portable water supply system including a faucet and sink, separate 110-125 volt electrical power supply and/or a LP gas supply.

I called and explained to the officer that my conversion was not complete but I could not complete the conversion without driving the bus to different places to get certain parts of the conversion done like spray insulation, some body work (like covering some of the windows and floor rust repaired), etc. and I didn't have a commercial driver's license (you don't need commercial license if it is titled as motorhome). My bus was completely gutted at this point and I had not started the roof raise, DON'T MENTION ROOF RAISE IF YOU WANT TO PASS INSPECTION. The officer set me an appointment and told me to bring it by so he "see what I had". Trying to be as prepared as possible....I put a futon (sleeping), a small propane camp grill (cooking), a 12 volt cooler (refrigeration), and a 5 gallon bucket "camp toilet", and a small generator (electrical supply) in the bus for the inspection. I also drew up a set of plans showing the floorplan, and separate drawings showing the layout of the electrical and plumbing. I went to my appointment and the officer did the inspection asking a few general questions, he then signed off on the form, gave me the paperwork, and told me good luck. You then take the form and bus title to the tag office and they change it to MH and send you a new title.

This is what got my bus titled as a motorhome in Harrison County Mississippi, I hope it helps some others out there as this site has been a valuable resource for my project and I would like to know I was able to give back to the skoolie community.
Old 09-19-2020, 11:52 AM   #17

Quote:
Motor Vehicles Rules and Regulations
Title 35, Part VII, Sub-parts 1-4 of the Mississippi Administrative Code includes rules and regulations concerning Motor​ Vehicle registration and related topics.

35.VII.6.04 Mississippi Administrative Code
Part VII, Subpart 6, Chapter 04

Section 104

“Motor Home” means a vehicular unit, designed to provide temporary living quarters, built into as an integral part of, or permanently attached to, a self- propelled Motor Vehicle chassis. [U]The vehicle must contain permanently installed independent life support systems which meet the ANSI/NFPA 501 C standard, and provide at least four of the following facilities: cooking, refrigeration or ice box, self-contained toilet, heating and/or air conditioning, a portable water supply system including a faucet and sink, separate 110-125 volt electrical power supply and/or a LP gas supply.

Ok, so there is the legal. The real deal is this. You must call the Mississippi Department of Public Safety - Driver’s License Station on Hwy 67 and get an appointment to get your "bus motorhome conversion" inspected, these are the same officers that inspect rebuilt cars with salvage titles. They will be looking to see if it is "livable". "Livable" meaning it meets the requirements listed below...

The vehicle must contain permanently installed independent life support systems which meet the ANSI/NFPA 501 C standard, and provide at least four of the following facilities: cooking, refrigeration or ice box, self-contained toilet, heating and/or air conditioning, a portable water supply system including a faucet and sink, separate 110-125 volt electrical power supply and/or a LP gas supply.

ETC

This is what got my bus titled as a motorhome in Harrison County Mississippi, I hope it helps some others out there as this site has been a valuable resource for my project and I would like to know I was able to give back to the skoolie community.
Thank you sooo much! They(jackson county) gave me contacts to call main branch in Clinton, MS. When I get a hold of people they just transfer me around
edkiul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mississippi, register, registration, title