Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2016, 01:38 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3500 vandura
Engine: 6.5L GMC
Rated Cap: 16
Unhappy Help! Can't find insurance in Cali. for my school

Hi all. I'm running into a problem finding insurance for my new schoolie in California. I was a shot down by Progressive, AIS, Good Sam, and the partner companies they use. Good Sam said they no longer insure short school bus conversions. National General said they cover conversion but only when completed. Im kinda stuck. Not sure what to do as this point. I got a yes from my insurance company (Ameriprise) before I bought it but upon further questioning after I bought they said no they don't do school buses. Any suggestions to get around some of this and get it insured? It's not converted yet but I can't legally move this anywhere until I get some kind of insurance on it. Will I need to insure it as commercial? Any one have experience with that?

I've tried to find information in older threads but the dates I find are from 2004-2014 and I guess the rule have changed since then.

Thanks,
Jenny

jennynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 03:19 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Progressive should insure it as a commercial vehicle for personal use. It's a bit more expensive but not terrible. After the conversion is finished and you have it re-titled as a motor home, you can price shop again.
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 03:53 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3500 vandura
Engine: 6.5L GMC
Rated Cap: 16
Thank you Bus Fiend. You are correct! I was able to get it insured through an agent who was underwritten by Progressive as a commercial vehicle for personal use. Okay, deep breath. Now I can take a deep breath.

Jenny
jennynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 04:09 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Deep breath, indeed. Congratulations! Now you can get the bus home and start the fun part of making it a skoolie!
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:00 PM   #5

Porgressive has canceled me,

I told the agent about commercial vehicle non commercial use, can't find insurance.
hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california, commercial, conversions, insurance