Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2019, 09:24 AM   #41
Bus Geek

Working with a good agent, they should walk you through the various scenarios.

Not trying to put you off comprehensive, just saying get the details for a given policy, they vary widely.

john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:31 AM   #42
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
AIS. That’s interesting about Progressive. I got a commercial policy from them through AIS no problem.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:46 AM   #43
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
AIS. That’s interesting about Progressive. I got a commercial policy from them through AIS no problem.
I saw the comments about Progressive refusing renewal. I got my Progressive “Commercial for Personal Use” policy only a month ago. I was very clear with AIS that it was a former school bus. When did they start refusing to renew?
Old 05-22-2019, 10:36 AM   #44
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84lug
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Make sure you look at the fine print.

Keep all your receipts?

Agreed value is best, but do not expect to get comp'd much for your DIY time value.

Document the buildout publicly?

Otherwise just base vehicle, what is the payout? Depreciation rate each year?

A good policy is likely more than $44 a month. . .

All great points! I say this as an Insurance agent
Old 05-24-2019, 02:39 PM   #45

Help in NY too! Just bought a 2004 E-350 short school bus and progressive said NO, and then said everyone else they called said NO? Unless of course I PAY for a professional to install the list of REQUIREMENTS they have . I want to do myself, that was the whole idea!! Anyone getting INSURANCE anywhere? Seems to be an insurance (government)? movement to stop people from this conversion if you ask me. Will get insurance anywhere if anyone has advice. (my first post)
prepperman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:11 PM   #46
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
I saw the comments about Progressive refusing renewal. I got my Progressive “Commercial for Personal Use” policy only a month ago. I was very clear with AIS that it was a former school bus. When did they start refusing to renew?
Probably right after you got yours. I got a Progressive policy for my bus in Sept. I bought another bus last month and tried to have it added to my existing policy. The reply I got back was that Progressive is no longer writing polices for school buses. While we won't add this new bus, we are not cancelling the existing policy. I'd be willing to bet that when it's time to renew, they won't.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:20 PM   #47
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Probably right after you got yours. I got a Progressive policy for my bus in Sept. I bought another bus last month and tried to have it added to my existing policy. The reply I got back was that Progressive is no longer writing polices for school buses. While we won't add this new bus, we are not cancelling the existing policy. I'd be willing to bet that when it's time to renew, they won't.
Hi,

I called the agent at AIS that wrote my policy. She says Progressive is still writing policies for former school buses. I asked her when she wrote the last one. She said she was writing one as we spoke for someone in PA.
Old 05-26-2019, 01:38 PM   #48
Mini-Skoolie

Sorry everybody should have come back and posted. I went through Progressive and was able to register as commercial for personal use BUT only using my LLC. If I didnt have the LLC they wouldn't have written the policy. This was over the phone through a commercial rep. Almost done now, maybe 2 weeks till I can flip title to RV.
Blcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 02:11 PM   #49
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP
Engine: CAT 3116 (TA185) / AT545
Rated Cap: 78
I have Progressive Commercial...it was super easy to call directly and set up. No agent, no hassle. Just tell them you removed the seats.
BusWanderer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 02:19 PM   #50
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusWanderer83 View Post
I have Progressive Commercial...it was super easy to call directly and set up. No agent, no hassle. Just tell them you removed the seats.
I tried to add a 2nd bus to my existing Progressive Policy, they said they were no longer writing new policies for school buses.
Old 05-26-2019, 02:19 PM   #51
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
PRogressive will insure buses in some states. its their commercial insurance. ymmv.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 02:30 PM   #52
Mini-Skoolie

Just to clarify and for consistency in the conversation.

I have an E350 transit bus conversion.
Blcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 02:36 PM   #53
Bus Geek

Upon checking my policy again, it seems I'm in the same boat as those I caution. My policy is an RV coverage policy for liability.
Attached Thumbnails
20190526_153134.jpg   20190526_153154.jpg  
Old 05-26-2019, 02:37 PM   #54
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
When an insurance agent states “we no longer insure buses” - I am pretty sure they just mean that agent doesn’t want to do it - or has decided against doing it because they are having a bad day - or don’t like with whom they are talking.
The company policy may differ - agents have a bit of flexibility in who they represent. The company policy may not be clear to that agent - and many seem to like sounding like pompous know-it-alls, when they really don’t know - just assume.

I still advise to always call several different agents. If you are nice and honest, you generally will find one who will help.

That’s my two pennies worth - and I am sticking to it!
Old 05-26-2019, 02:41 PM   #55
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Rescuer View Post
When an insurance agent states “we no longer insure buses” - I am pretty sure they just mean that agent doesn’t want to do it - or has decided against doing it because they are having a bad day - or don’t like with whom they are talking.
The company policy may differ - agents have a bit of flexibility in who they represent. The company policy may not be clear to that agent - and many seem to like sounding like pompous know-it-alls, when they really don’t know - just assume.

I still advise to always call several different agents. If you are nice and honest, you generally will find one who will help.

That’s my two pennies worth - and I am sticking to it!
I used the same agency that insures my current bus under the Progressive policy, I'm sure they would want more of the same business I am giving them, see no reason they would turn me away. They sent me the link from Progressives answer, They weren't just blowing smoke my way

Actually, it wasn't a link to the Progressive answer by a reply from my agent:

"I wanted to send you this email because I wanted it to be in writing(unofficial/official).

I just spoke with a customer service rep, her manager and a supervisor with Progressive. I’ve been told that they no longer write converted school buses!! I will not be able to help you on the bus you are trying to purchase.

I know you feel like your getting the run around but I want to make sure you are/or are not covered. I don’t want there to be a “gray” area that we spoke about in our earlier phone conversation. Progressive will not cancel the current policy you have because they rely on us(the agents) to notify you of any change or unacceptable risks when we(the agents) are informed of the situation.

I would find coverage elsewhere for both vehicles if I were you.

Progressive gave me two contacts for companies that will cover the converted RV’s. We don’t have contracts with either of the two companies below."

Both contacts they listed said they wouldn't insure either.
Old 05-26-2019, 04:02 PM   #56
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
I just called her, and it looks like I'm going to be able to get liability insurance (from National General?) for $499 a year. She said this would be an actual RV policy (i.e. not "commercial for private use") even though it was liability-only. She also said I needed to send her photos of the inside and outside, although the only thing they really cared about was making sure the seats are out (I may also attempt to lop off the stop signs before I take the pics).

I will try to make sure you get your $25.
Thanks for using the link and saying I told you about AIS insurance. They sent me a gift card and I got a CB with it for the bus. If anyone else needs insurance goto this link and say Mark Curtin says thanks.
https://www.aisinsurance.com/special...-Madriles.aspx
Outlawfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 05:29 PM   #57
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
What'd you take for your next free CB..? [emoji6]
Old 05-26-2019, 06:06 PM   #58
Bus Geek

Note that nothing stated as universal for a given corporation holds true for all states, all agents, all underwriters.

Definitely what you may be told dealing directly with the company will have no relationship with what an agent will be able to do.

Also between one agent and another, with different connections.

Between business and personal, from one state to another, might as well be completely separate companies. Same with liability only, much easier than comprehensive for replacement value.

Persistence pays off. Start a new post with **your** needs **including your state** right in the title, asking not just about companies but also

for referrals to experienced agents, converted vans, cargo trailers, RVs etc.
Old 05-26-2019, 06:10 PM   #59
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Good advice, John.
Make it easier for our inheritors to keyword search for answers relevant to their requirements.
Can OP edit the thread's title? Dunno, I never tried, never needed to...
Old 05-26-2019, 06:26 PM   #60
Bus Geek

Only for a short window after posting.

OP could request a mod do so.