Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2018, 05:04 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
More than enough time to get it home to start working on it. Using BOS for 7 days means I don't have to worry about either of those to get her home. Then worry about what stage to be at for some sort of legal insurance and tag.
I could have done this, but I could not get the temporary permit from Oregon without proof of insurance, and the driving on the BOS wasn't gonna work. I wanted to do the whole thing legally. B

Old 05-25-2018, 05:13 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I have state farm for 2 cars and a house.. when i got my FIRST bus years ago they covered it because it was licensed as a passenger vehicle beuing under 26k GVWR and less than 15 seats..

when I got my DEV bus. they wouldnt insure it because it was considered commercial even with an RV title..

Progressive Commercial will insure them as long as they stay busses.. they said if you convert it then you cannot insure it with them.. (thats in Ohio).. bith of my busses are still busses with at least some seats (in the DEV). (all seats in redbyrd).. DEV has a motorhome title but progressive still insures it because its still a bus.. if I converted it then id have to go to another provider..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:32 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2martins View Post
I could have done this, but I could not get the temporary permit from Oregon without proof of insurance, and the driving on the BOS wasn't gonna work. I wanted to do the whole thing legally. B
Insurance and registration are not connected. You have to have the insurance in order to get a registration. Why can you not get insurance first, for whatever they want to call it at the time (bus, RV, etc.) Get insurance, get a temp tag, drive it home. Why wasn't driving on BOS not work? Not legal in Ore.?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:50 PM   #24
Bus Geek

I had a thought that some of you may be shy about getting an up front policy for a temporary period, due to the cost of a 6 month policy when you probably won't need that that long. It's easy to get a "Commercial for personal use" policy for a reasonable price. If you can sign up for monthly payments you can pay like 2 months and then a monthly which you can cancel after you get it home. Then after conversion get the appropriate title and insurance.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:48 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Proof of insurance is required to get the movement permit in Oregon, and the bill of sale and proof of insurance on ANOTHER vehicle (which is what driving on the BOS home is) is not considered proof of insurance.
Quote:
Insurance and registration are not connected. You have to have the insurance in order to get a registration. Why can you not get insurance first, for whatever they want to call it at the time (bus, RV, etc.) Get insurance, get a temp tag, drive it home. Why wasn't driving on BOS not work? Not legal in Ore.?
Old 05-25-2018, 11:12 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Quote:
Proof of insurance is required to get the movement permit in Oregon, and the bill of sale and proof of insurance on ANOTHER vehicle (which is what driving on the BOS home is) is not considered proof of insurance.
I'm insured through State Farm, I'm covered for 30 days in any new vehicles. If I get pulled over I show the cop my current insurance card that covers me in any new vehicles. I show him a bill of sale from with in the last 48 hours and I'm down the road. Many people get temp tags when they don't need them because they are covered for a certain period. Check your insurance policy, maybe it's different than here.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:19 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Quote:
I'm insured through State Farm, I'm covered for 30 days in any new vehicles. If I get pulled over I show the cop my current insurance card that covers me in any new vehicles. I show him a bill of sale from with in the last 48 hours and I'm down the road. Many people get temp tags when they don't need them because they are covered for a certain period. Check your insurance policy, maybe it's different than here.
I needed a movement permit as it didn't have plates and the permit the previous owners had at some point had expired.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:27 AM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Got it done! Thanks for all of the advice.

[IMG][/IMG]
Grease&gravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:32 AM   #29
Bus Nut

Quote:
I needed a movement permit as it didn't have plates and the permit the previous owners had at some point had expired.
You need plates or a temporary tag even if you have insurance. Those are completely different DMV regulations.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:32 PM   #30

Try progressive, i got a 5 day transit policy thru them
pansey05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 04:17 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Insurance and transportation

I am with ais and insured liability for $80 a year ($215 for all three of my vehicles). They just get insured as an rv. The only difference once you finish the dmv registration it will legally be an RV. Also remember AAA’s roadside service for $40extra a year. They will tow that thing 500 miles a year. I have had mine towed twice consecutively to get it 200 miles in one sitting and they have no problem. Good luck
superken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 04:31 PM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

I just got my 96 international Thomas insured with progressive commercial as a handy man in commercial vehicle non business
Nomadusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 04:39 PM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by superken View Post
I am with ais and insured liability for $80 a year ($215 for all three of my vehicles). They just get insured as an rv. The only difference once you finish the dmv registration it will legally be an RV. Also remember AAA’s roadside service for $40extra a year. They will tow that thing 500 miles a year. I have had mine towed twice consecutively to get it 200 miles in one sitting and they have no problem. Good luck
I sent in a quote with AIS but they never contacted me.
Grease&gravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:30 PM   #34

We told them we were converting to a motor home, had no problem, did it as a rv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grease&gravel View Post
I found a bus and I'm going to buy it on Monday.

I'm trying to get insurance so that I can get it home. I can switch it later after it's converted I just want to be legal on the way home.

I just called progressive and said that I had a bus with the seats removed to use for hauling hay to my farm. They said they can't insurance something that has been modified. What do I say to get it insurance for personal use? What do I say that the use is?

Oh and its in SC too.
pansey05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 10:44 PM   #35

Year: 1957
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: 391 Ford Industrial motor out of a Brinks truck
Rated Cap: 32 passenger
It can be difficult to impossible to find an insurance company who'll cover a 'school bus'. But you won't be driving kids to and from school will you? If you're not, it won't be a school bus anymore, but I assume you're going to use it as an RV. You won't have any trouble insuring an RV, a popular insurance company covers me just fine. So I don't have a Ford B600 school bus, I have a Ford make, Wayne model RV. The Wayne name appears on a small placard inside the bus identifying the coach builder, and yours should too. Or use your own name if you want, you're the final builder on it, aren't you? Carve yourself a little plaque and screw it to your bus if you want to make it official.

Others have pointed out that you don't want to misrepresent your vehicle in case you're in an accident, and you shouldn't. But you don't have to represent it in a way that you know they'll reject, do you? Give them what they want in terms of make, model, year, and serial number. 'Model' being what you have made it and use it for.

Face it, the main reason for insurance is so you can drive it legally. No cop is going to give you a big ticket for driving without insurance when you present them with your valid proof of insurance. And I do not believe your insurance company can refuse to pay for an accident if it's your fault if you have a valid contract with them, though they might try and might need to be sued by the opposing insurance company. If you think this might be a big deal for you, talk to an attorney about it first.

However I would not carry any comprehensive insurance unless it was through a company that did fully understand the history of your bus from its inception to your modifications of it, complete with photos and some hardcopy proof that they knew it. So the best way I think to get there if you do want comprehensive insurance is to start off with one company without it, get your bus home and fixed up, and before you put it on the road again seek out another insurance company who'll take your business. Which ought to be way easier because one of the first questions they'll ask you is if it's already insured! That tells them someone else already assumed the risk so it lowers the bar for them to be convinced you didn't pull some piece of junk out of a salvage yard and might be putting them at a high liability risk.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:21 PM   #36
Bus Nut

A real way to get gong is find just about any company that will insure you and buy from them. They will bleed you for a couple months and the you change insurance to a good company that wants to steal you away and will give you a great rate. Getting it home with Ins is just having proof of auto insurance. By law you have 30 days.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:54 AM   #37

My auto insurer told me I was covered for a certain amount of time on new purchases. Call your current insurance company and I bet you’ll have the same coverage. Good luck!
Beckybus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:04 PM   #38
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Trekker View Post
It can be difficult to impossible to find an insurance company who'll cover a 'school bus'. But you won't be driving kids to and from school will you? If you're not, it won't be a school bus anymore, but I assume you're going to use it as an RV. You won't have any trouble insuring an RV, a popular insurance company covers me just fine. So I don't have a Ford B600 school bus, I have a Ford make, Wayne model RV. The Wayne name appears on a small placard inside the bus identifying the coach builder, and yours should too. Or use your own name if you want, you're the final builder on it, aren't you? Carve yourself a little plaque and screw it to your bus if you want to make it official.

Others have pointed out that you don't want to misrepresent your vehicle in case you're in an accident, and you shouldn't. But you don't have to represent it in a way that you know they'll reject, do you? Give them what they want in terms of make, model, year, and serial number. 'Model' being what you have made it and use it for.

Face it, the main reason for insurance is so you can drive it legally. No cop is going to give you a big ticket for driving without insurance when you present them with your valid proof of insurance. And I do not believe your insurance company can refuse to pay for an accident if it's your fault if you have a valid contract with them, though they might try and might need to be sued by the opposing insurance company. If you think this might be a big deal for you, talk to an attorney about it first.

However I would not carry any comprehensive insurance unless it was through a company that did fully understand the history of your bus from its inception to your modifications of it, complete with photos and some hardcopy proof that they knew it. So the best way I think to get there if you do want comprehensive insurance is to start off with one company without it, get your bus home and fixed up, and before you put it on the road again seek out another insurance company who'll take your business. Which ought to be way easier because one of the first questions they'll ask you is if it's already insured! That tells them someone else already assumed the risk so it lowers the bar for them to be convinced you didn't pull some piece of junk out of a salvage yard and might be putting them at a high liability risk.

What a cogent, well reasoned, and thought out reply! I think that I may well have moved from NH way too soon...
HazMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:29 AM   #39

So I am understanding the insurance part, but how do I deal with no plates getting a bus back that I just bought?
Studio19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:34 AM   #40
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio19 View Post
So I am understanding the insurance part, but how do I deal with no plates getting a bus back that I just bought?

Check with your state's DMV, there might be a trip permit you can get.

M.L. Sutphin Insurance Agency, Inc.
Make it simple - we insure it all!
15402663074 | 14344736244
sutphinins is offline   Reply With Quote