Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2017, 08:19 PM   #1

Help with AIS insurance

I am looking at converting my first skoolie. Went through the obligatory run around with other companies. I knew of AIS but I also knew they wanted pics for underwriting.

The agent said I would need a sleeping area, food storage, cooking facilities and a toilet. Asked if I need potable water he said no. Asked if a composting toilet was OK he said yes. The bus I'm looking at uses a common GM gas motor, so I am looking at keeping weight to a minimum. I want to haul dirt bikes, tools and spare parts at the back of the bus for recreation; i'm tired of trailers. I want to do a saw dust toilet which is just a glorified 5 gallon bucket in an enclosure. When he said no 5 gallon buckets I assumed he meant literally a 5 gallon bucket walled off with some sort of seat attached.

My question is for members on this forum who insure through AIS if they were approved with a saw dust toilet by the underwriter and did the agent misspell about potable water or is it better to install potable water because the underwriter would be more likely to approve it with the saw dust toilet. Or do I have to pony up for composting that uses a separate chamber.

This forum has been a great resource. I know this forum platform skoolie uses can be difficult to search for specific info. Spent 2 hours before starting a thread. If there is a thread I missed in my searching please link it and or provide the info here.

Thanks for the help, again this site is a great resource.

senorfozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:52 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
I just sent the pics of my conversion to AIS. I have no toilet in my bus either but Ohio doesn't require one. I'm required to have a cooktop, table, bed, and refrigerator. I hope mine will be approved with no toilet. We shall see and I'll let you know what they say.
fabrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:56 PM   #3

Thanks hopefully someone will reply before they get back to you because I heard it takes about a week for them to process. I did not not a toilet in the first place. How long is your bus.
senorfozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:21 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

I just tried Farmers and as soon as they heard it was a conversion, they said a big, fat, NO. My bus is 30 feet from bumper to bumper.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:54 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Alllstate will insure my conversion. My agent is on her way to my house now to take photos. Good Sam and AIS will only give me liability. Alllstate is full coverage including towing. AIS quoted 319 a year. Good Sam was 720. Alllstate is 770 for full coverage with 250 deductibles. I'm going with Allstate. Better coverage and a well known company. I'll be on the road soon!! Allstate though would not quote me over the phone. Apparently only an agent can get a quote. I'll post again if I have any problems. Keep your fingers crossed! And I STILL haven't heard back from AIS...
Old 06-29-2017, 01:16 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
I'm insured as a private bus thru AIS. They didn't ask for pictures. But then again I'm paying $837 for 6 months and liability only. 40 foot and 2 tickets in the past 3 yrs. Guess I need to find out about changing to RV. It's already titled as a "multi-purpose vehicle".
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 01:49 PM   #7

Year: 1990
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: 8.2L
Rated Cap: 66
AIS quoted me 336 for the conversion. More if it isn't.

What type of mileage do you get in your 8.3L? My bus is a 1990 Bluebird 66 passenger with an 8.2L
shjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 02:18 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by shjohn View Post
AIS quoted me 336 for the conversion. More if it isn't.
Hoping it drops significantly in Oct. I've read here that renewing is much cheaper than the initial quote.

Quote:
What type of mileage do you get in your 8.3L? My bus is a 1990 Bluebird 66 passenger with an 8.2L
I've only done two trips without huge amounts of idling. From WV where I bout it along I-79 I-70 across MD (you can google the terrain) was 7.9 mpg.

The other trip is from Baltimore to Watkins Glen and back along PA 15. I haven't refilled the tank yet on that one. I have the receipt from the fill up in NY but don't remember the fuel mileage. I think there was some idle time on that one.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:53 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Well I'm officially insured. Allstate will do a direct deduction from my checking account. I paid my initial today with my agent and have my insurance ID cards. She got the pics...for the file and not sent to Allstate...and it was a simple and easy process. U can't do it over the phone with Allstate. U need to go thru an agent. And AIS hasn't replied yet still. It's more money but worth the coverage. Getting towed alone would cost a fortune. Give it a try.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:48 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Congrats. You're insured as an RV right? I'm still an empty metal shell but in MD they use the same form for both RV and "multipurpose" (only requires painting) so I don't know if it would do me any good. Come renewal time I'll worry about it.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:40 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Yes I am insured as an RV. The agent specifically told Allstate that it's a bus conversion.