Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2016, 09:13 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

How do I get my new bus back home legally (NY state)?

Just bought a school bus a couple of hours away in NY state. I live in NY state also. So I believe I need an in transit permit to get it back.

What do I say the bus is? I know eventually I want to register it as an RV but what about for the trip home? I know someone with a heavy vehicle license who can drive it for me, so if a special license is needed, that shouldn't be an issue.

What do I have to do to the bus prior to the return trip? Paint over the school district lettering? What about the yellow paint of the bus, lights, etc. ?

Again, just looking to get it home so I can begin work on it. About a 2.5 hour drive.

Advice appreciated! Thanks!

misterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 10:48 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterW View Post
What do I have to do to the bus prior to the return trip? Paint over the school district lettering? What about the yellow paint of the bus, lights, etc. ?

Again, just looking to get it home so I can begin work on it. About a 2.5 hour drive.

Advice appreciated! Thanks!
If the district hasn't painted over their identification and/or lights, bring a rattle can of black paint with you to spray them, the lights, and "SCHOOL BUS" out. Other than that, get in and drive. Drive speed limit slow and responsibly.

I got my bus from Maine (after it was driven there from New Foundland), to NJ. 5 states, still yellow, with WI apportioned tags (title/registration was never flipped), and never once was harassed by the Police.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 11:26 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Or just put duct tape over the school info.
boojiewoojie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 11:29 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Really, you don't need to paint over the lights or "school bus". Just school district is sufficient and "in transit" sign in the back.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:36 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

But what about getting my in transit temporary registration from DMV? Just say it is a bus on the form? The first woman that I spoke to on the phone was a huge pain in the ass and basically said the only way I could get it back was to have it towed on a trailer. I'm obviously not doing that. And I don't think she really knew what she was talking about either. But I do want a temporary plate to stick on there.
Old 06-18-2016, 01:05 PM   #6
Bus Nut

If you're buying from a dealer they'll have the tag. I'm in Tennessee so I don't have a definitive answer. Here all we do is go by DMV and ask for a temporary tag. The VIN number should pull up the details for the clerk. If they will let you I would just call it an RV.
Old 06-18-2016, 09:11 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Chevy P-30
Engine: Chevy 454 Big Block
First off, when it comes to find the legality of a vehicle or driving it, I just use my best judgement, be extra cautious and safety oriented, never admit to knowingly breaking the law, and if need be, tell whoever, I was told by whoever that I was within the law. Rarely, in my calls and dealings with Insurance Co., DMVs, Police/State Troopers, and the Internet, do I ever get everyone to agree one what is actually legit... Laws on this stuff are varied state by state and the laws change way too fast for highway officer to keep up...

From experience, an "In Transit" sign on the back of the bus is good enough 98% of the time. Different laws, different states, yada yada. Being that you are staying in state, if you DO get pulled over, this is one of those things were you and the officer probably will crack a joke or two about silly legislation. I wouldn't stress about it. Getting insurance is a good idea. With my insurance company, I have been told by customer service reps. that I don't even need to have insurance on me, because of a 30-day grace period loophole. I am NOT suggesting that you ride dirty, but as a last resort, there are ways to talk to things over with the police, kind of a like building a shed on your property and THEN paying for an after-the-fact building permit. Remember, it is also easier to ask for forgiveness than permission ;) I rode "dirty" across several borders, with one incident, and the state trooper said just to get where I was going safely and "You know, you are going to get pulled the whole way home!" He was that police officer I have spoken with since.
mightymainermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 09:40 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymainermite View Post
Laws on this stuff are varied state by state and the laws change way too fast for highway officer to keep up...
In my county, and in other counties where the school bus drivers are owner/operators we have been running with regular car tags for years with the highway patrol's blessing. This past year some higher up at the state level realized buses should have commercial tags.

And even then there was much discussion because "are we really commercial since our insurance is paid by the local school board?", etc.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:41 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
just check with your insurance agency. my primary car policy covers a new car purchased in another state and brought home.

never call it a "bus". if you intend to register it as an "rv", call it an "rv". it will simplify your life if you learn that early. a "bus" means commercial vehicle to anyone that matters.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:43 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Chevy P-30
Engine: Chevy 454 Big Block
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
just check with your insurance agency. my primary car policy covers a new car purchased in another state and brought home.

never call it a "bus". if you intend to register it as an "rv", call it an "rv". it will simplify your life if you learn that early. a "bus" means commercial vehicle to anyone that matters.
Progressive had mine mistakenly registered as a "work trailer" (who knows how that happened!?) and then changed it to a "camper".
mightymainermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 03:11 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post

When I say I need to insure an RV, they ask for the VIN and the make and model. Then they ask if it was a bus. What do I say then?
Old 06-20-2016, 03:21 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I Insured mine as a bus.. commercial policy, insured as a Bus... the VIN will come up as a bus... its registered as an RV.. because its for recreational non comercial use.. when I went to state inspection in ohio.. i got asked "are you running this commercially or for your own use?".. I replied my own use.. and the DMV guy said "Ok we will register you as an RV ", he checked the VIN tah to make sure it matched the title, printed me a registration handed me plates and I left..

insurance and registration are separate items... typically RV insurance is cheaper than commercial however many companies wont insure a converted school bus as noted in NUMEROUS other threads.. some companies are cancelling people even with commerical policies when they convert.. it seems to be a toss up state to state... when I called progressive they specifically ased if my bus was staying a bus... which in my case it is... I have seats, and a work area.. so it still looks, acts like, and is a bus.. they never asked for Pics but did ask for how many seats I have in it and plan to have.. and asked questions about its size and of course value (I carry full coverage)...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote