Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2019, 08:09 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
How do we transfer title - auction bus in Texas

I've never bought an out-of-state vehicle, much less an auction vehicle, so I'm not sure how this stuff works.

So we show up, get our bus, and I guess receive a Texas Title. What then? Do we go to the Texas DMV / Tax Assessor office to transfer it? Or our own (AZ)?

Stupid question I'm sure, but again... no experience in these matters.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:20 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Get a Bill of Sale and a signed title from the Tx. seller. Take those to you local DMV and have them transferred to your name as the legal owner.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:27 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
As Marc said. Get title from seller - signed and dated. You sign too. *BE CAREFUL*, some states (like GA) will decline titles with "corrections", so make sure you sign as "Buyer" and seller signs as "Seller". GA does not require Bill of Sale when you have a signed title, I'm not sure about AZ.

In my case, tag/title office took all of 15 minutes, did not change title designation and it's registered (NOT TITLED) as a "Private Passenger Vehicle" (GA handles titling and registering separately, the former done by the state and the latter done by individual counties).
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:43 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Unless you have a dealer tag to take with you to Texas, you'll likely have to get a temp tag in Texas before you can drive it home.
Not sure how Texas does their temp tag process, but you should be able to go online to the DMV to get the details.
You'll also need proof of insurance whatever route you take.
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:20 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

As always, many thanks! I love this site, and you who inhabit it and make it great. I can't imagine how much it would suck to go down this road without the help y'all have provided.

I have already got the temp permit stuff figured out. Texas has a great DMV IMO. Both their website and their employees were very informative and... informed.

And... we got insurance today! Our insurance (American Family) wouldn't / couldn't insure us even for a one-time trip back home. But we got commercial through Progressive.

Just checked w/ our state on the title, and I have two areas of concern. One... our state (all?) requires the seller's signature to be notarized. So I hope the school district doesn't give me gaff about that. Second, since the signature won't match the seller's name on the title (the owner is Austin ISD), AZ's website states you should provide documentation that proves the seller is legally authorized. I guess I'll call AZ on that tomorrow, because I don't know what exactly they're looking for in this regard, or what the school could provide that would satisfy them.

Plan to be there to pick up our baby Monday, and with any luck be coming back this way the following day! Soooooooo excited!!!!

Old 06-12-2019, 05:44 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
I've never bought an out-of-state vehicle, much less an auction vehicle, so I'm not sure how this stuff works.

So we show up, get our bus, and I guess receive a Texas Title. What then? Do we go to the Texas DMV / Tax Assessor office to transfer it? Or our own (AZ)?

Stupid question I'm sure, but again... no experience in these matters.
They'll hand you the title and BOS when you pick up the bus.
But- If you call and ask the nice school employees sometimes will mail you the title and BOS.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:28 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Gracias

Old 06-12-2019, 09:34 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Mine was titled through McDowell County School Board (and of all things, a lien when it was purchased! I guess even school districts have to finance sometimes. And yes, it was properly signed off.) I showed GA the signed title, and my printout from the auction website, which along with the signature from the bus barn manager, sufficed for them (they didn't check too deeply into it).

If you have a signed title, proof of purchase (printout from auction and/or bill of sale, sometimes they are the same thing) and proof of payment (usually you won't get the title until payment is done), that should do it.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote