Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2022, 06:05 PM   #2181
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalez View Post
Do I even need to send in a "vin verification" from a ok CHP officer then?
Good luck getting it if you need it, although maybe OK cops are more helpful than Philly cops. I thought I needed a VIN verification to do the Vermont thing (turns out I didn't because I'd already gotten a title in my name) and called up the local PD and told them I needed a VIN verification. This is how the rest of the conversation went:

Me: So I was wondering if you could send out an officer to do this verification for me.
Dispatcher: Nah.
Me: Nah?
Dispatcher: Yeah, nah. click

Old 06-22-2022, 02:40 PM   #2182

Year: 2009
Checking here before I battle the Vermont DMV phone lines:

So in 2021, I bought an uncompleted skoolie in MA. I have photos of the original NH title showing it signed from the transit company to the guy I bought it from. He converted the NH title to a MA Bus title, and I'm looking to convert it to a VT MH title. Are the photos showing the initial sale on the original title enough to show the direct line of ownership?

To the tune of Rhianna's S&M:

Cause I may be crafty, I'm perfectly good at it,
Weavin' and paintin', you don't know the half of it!
I click that shutter, you'll smile for me,
But forms always confuse me...
Rian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 05:58 PM   #2183

Is it possible ?

Hi every one !

I read all of the discussion ! I have a question and I think you could help me. We are in Quebec and we transform our skoolie. But, since the covid, Quebec change the laws against the skoolie dream ! So I want to have my registration outside the Quebec? Do you think it's possible to have this one in Vermont from Quebec ? Thanks a lot !!!
Hibuscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 07:21 AM   #2184
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
So far, so good.

I followed the instructions on this thread when filling out my own form. I had to also filling a bill of sale form from the Vermont website. I figured out the tax and sent everything with a check in the mail. I waited about a week and a half and saw that my check was cashed. So now I’m just waiting on my plate and paperwork in the mail. Hopefully this will help in transferring to North Carolina if I ever decide to do so.
ElderDumpling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 04:44 PM   #2185
Almost There

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 32' Two peeps and a Dog!
Title but no bill of sale.

Ive been reading and havent found a case quite like mine.

Person A bought the school bus at school district auction They left the bill of sale from the auction in the bus. This bill of sale shows Person A's brother bought the bus. Found this when I got home and started cleaning the bus.

I paid person (A) 6700 bucks through venmo for the bus. He gave me the title signed only by the school district.

So I have The original title signed by the school district. His brothers bill of sale and that's it.

Can I still register the bus using this process in VT?

Should I just write up a bill of sale for my transaction? I'm sure he would sign it if I scanned it to him... or will that jack it up bc he didn't register it before selling to me?

Can I use my venmo transaction as a bill of sale? Thoughts?
Old 06-24-2022, 07:59 AM   #2186
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
The bill of sale form off the Vermont website can be filled out and used. It doesn’t matter who it’s registered to as long as the bill of sale includes you and who you bought it from.
ElderDumpling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 09:21 AM   #2187

Can this process be sped up if I go to the DMV branch in person? Or will it still take 3-4 weeks before receiving my new plates and everything?
aegerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 04:26 PM   #2188
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rian View Post
Checking here before I battle the Vermont DMV phone lines:

So in 2021, I bought an uncompleted skoolie in MA. I have photos of the original NH title showing it signed from the transit company to the guy I bought it from. He converted the NH title to a MA Bus title, and I'm looking to convert it to a VT MH title. Are the photos showing the initial sale on the original title enough to show the direct line of ownership?

You only need to show chain of ownership from the TITLE to YOU. Since you bought the rig from the guy who titled it as a bus in MA you only need to show that title, and the transfer to you (on the title and bill of sale). No need make phone calls.

Go to our youtube channel or our dot com both of which are HamSkoolie and you can see a video (youtube) or Blog with step by step instructions.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 04:49 PM   #2189
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 85505
Engine: Cat 3126B 210 hp Allison mt643 transmission
Rated Cap: 78 passengers
Yeah I actually watched your videos and that helped me decide to finally go the Vermont route after already subjecting myself for a bit to the sadists at the Illinois DMV and getting frustrated over it. Thanks for the videos. They really helped with the process.
Justinb.jackson903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 01:49 PM   #2190
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinb.jackson903 View Post
Yeah I actually watched your videos and that helped me decide to finally go the Vermont route after already subjecting myself for a bit to the sadists at the Illinois DMV and getting frustrated over it. Thanks for the videos. They really helped with the process.

You're welcome!

Did you Subscribe? YouTube requires 1000 subs to monetize these days. grrrrr
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
Old 06-27-2022, 02:01 PM   #2191
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e @245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMartineau View Post
Ive been reading and havent found a case quite like mine.

Person A bought the school bus at school district auction They left the bill of sale from the auction in the bus. This bill of sale shows Person A's brother bought the bus. Found this when I got home and started cleaning the bus.

I paid person (A) 6700 bucks through venmo for the bus. He gave me the title signed only by the school district.

So I have The original title signed by the school district. His brothers bill of sale and that's it.

Can I still register the bus using this process in VT?

Should I just write up a bill of sale for my transaction? I'm sure he would sign it if I scanned it to him... or will that jack it up bc he didn't register it before selling to me?

Can I use my venmo transaction as a bill of sale? Thoughts?
Technically that's title jumping. To fill in your info in the buyers section you'd need an accompanying bill of sale from the school district naming you as buyer. Or the seller would have to be a licensed dealer and have filled our the dealer section of the title (assuming that's not the case).

The proper although not easiest route will be to have the seller transfer title into the brothers name since that's who the bill of sale is for. The brother can then transfer title to you with a new bill of sale. My guess is they were trying to avoid taxes.

Since the title is unsigned an unscrupulous person could do a little photoshop with the bill of sale you found signed by the school district to change the buyers name to yours...
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 02:05 PM   #2192
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 85505
Engine: Cat 3126B 210 hp Allison mt643 transmission
Rated Cap: 78 passengers
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
You're welcome!

Did you Subscribe? YouTube requires 1000 subs to monetize these days. grrrrr
Not yet heading to YouTube right now to research solar power will do so on the way
Justinb.jackson903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 02:27 PM   #2193
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinb.jackson903 View Post
Not yet heading to YouTube right now to research solar power will do so on the way

Thanks,
Eventually we'll hit 1000. I know my first channel took forever and then bamn almost 10,000
Old 07-13-2022, 03:11 PM   #2194

I've just mailed off my paperwork and a money order! Thank you Hamskoolie for all your help and for uploading tutorials in two formats! I did some research about some of the finer details for my situation, so I'll update when I hear back from VT! Here's the variables: I used a money order (I don't use checks), didn't fill in any information under "Trucks," listed color as "Green," and my gender listed as X (which it's been for the last three years under two different states). So we'll see how this goes!
Rian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 02:12 AM   #2195
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I've just mailed off my paperwork and a money order! Thank you Hamskoolie for all your help and for uploading tutorials in two formats! I did some research about some of the finer details for my situation, so I'll update when I hear back from VT! Here's the variables: I used a money order (I don't use checks), didn't fill in any information under "Trucks," listed color as "Green," and my gender listed as X (which it's been for the last three years under two different states). So we'll see how this goes!

Glad the blog and YouTube video helped. We hope you subscribed to the YouTube as we need 1000 subs to hit the first step.
Old 08-08-2022, 12:49 PM   #2196
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: Thomas Saf-T-Liner
Engine: CAT 3126 / MD3060
Quote:
We actually are in a similar situation. We just picked up a bus that had an open title (didn't do enough research on this), but we also got a bill of sale from the people we bought it from. Luckily we were able to easily get a VIN verification by a sheriff's deputy the other day, and we filled out the VT-010 form to include in our packet. From what I've gathered from this thread and Ham Skoolies awesome video; we should have all our stuff in order to finally send off today.

(Sanity check) This is the order of our documents:

Check made payable to VT DMV
Cover Letter with all details of items included
VD-119 form (2 copies)
VT-010 VIN Verification form
Bill of Sale with the amount we paid for the bus and all signatures from both parties. Including names and addresses.

We didn't fille out the truck section of VD-119, and listed the bus color as gray. Going to send it out certified with tracking. I'm hoping we're good from this point forward!
bb12489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 08:33 PM   #2197

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300/PB305
Engine: MaxxForce DT 7.6L
Rated Cap: 69 (seriously)
New here as well, just mailed off all of my stuff today via certified mail.

Sent the Original PA title (which did not have the GVWR listed on it and I thought that was odd), the Bill of Sale showing that I actually paid $8.40 over my required sales tax (whatever...), form VD-119, and a check made out to the VT DMV.

It almost seems too easy, I'll come back with updates when I have them.
BartleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 01:36 PM   #2198
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartleyD View Post
It almost seems too easy, I'll come back with updates when I have them.

It did for us as well (seem too easy). But when we got plates and registration in the mail we were stoked. It took us about 8 weeks to get everything back but that was in Jan/Feb 2021 and "Covid mandates" were in full swing.
Old 08-09-2022, 01:38 PM   #2199
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb12489 View Post
WFrom what I've gathered from this thread and Ham Skoolies awesome video; we should have all our stuff in order to finally send off today.

Awwww thanks. Let us know when you get the plates and registration..... and we'll need your address to send the bill.
Old 08-11-2022, 10:33 AM   #2200
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird?
Chassis: 26ft Bluebird TC2000
Engine: Cumming 5.9 12v, AT545
Finally getting my hands on a valid Cali title from the previous owner today! W00h00! Wanting to get motorhome plates on it ASAP so I can drive it home to convert.

I stumbled across some posts elsewhere that stated that Vermont started requiring VIN verifications for ALL out of state registrations (even with valid out of state title) starting in 2022, can anyone verify one way or the other who's done one this year?

Thanks!!
dalez is offline   Reply With Quote