Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2017, 01:12 PM   #281
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Goshen Freightliner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by kara0328 View Post
I received my Vermont plates and application in the mail. How long does it typically take to get the registration and title? My bus is less than 15 years old so I should be getting a new title that says MH. The application said 19 at the top so I am hoping that is what the title will say.

Also, do i need to get the inspection done within 15 days if I do not plan on traveling to Vermont?

I do not think I will have insurance by then because I am going to try to use GMAC because they have a bus conversion policy and only require pictures of 4 things (sleeping quarters, kitchen, bathroom, and the four sides of the bus painted) Has anyone completed this process through GMAC? Still trying to figure out the bathroom set up.

Thanks!
We got the registration papers a week later after the plates. Ours was incorrect showing BU but a simple call today fixed that. Good luck.

RayAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 02:08 PM   #282

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
Well 19 does mean MH. in Vermont. You won't worry about inspection in Vermont if your not driving in Vermont.
Still waiting after being rejected for vin verification. its been two weeks since re applying.
Keeno777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:56 PM   #283
Mini-Skoolie

We received our new Vermont Registration showing MH on Friday.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:15 PM   #284
Almost There

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: IC3S530
Rated Cap: 41
At long last after nearly 6 weeks the Vermont Title arrived yesterday. It's the last spoke in the proverbial wheel ... For whatever reason steel yourself for a 3 week wait for your title if you're due one. Btw - it reads MH body on truck chassis ... no GVW #'s - which keeps you out of CDL or elevated class license trouble. Thanks a bunch ware ... you rulez!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2017, 09:32 AM   #285
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1986
Chassis: Ward/AmTran
Engine: Ford 4V 429/385 Big Block
Thanks!

Thanks for all the great info. I live in NY currently, and will be doing the conversion here. This method is a great bus-hack! Thanks for taking the time to write it, and answer so many questions. Hoping to pull the trigger on our bus really soon, and I'll def be using this method.

You've saved me countless hours of phone calls, online research, and time waiting at the DMV.
FunkyKoleMedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:48 AM   #286
Mini-Skoolie

Out of State Insurance with Vermont plates/registration?

I've been reading this thread for a while, and I have a couple questions.

1. If the bus is registered in Vermont, but I don't live in Vermont ( I live in NY), and I don't wish to change the registration to NY b/c we're moving out of state in 11 months, how do you get insurance for that time for a bus registered in a different state?

2. As there is no inspection for the Vermont registration, would I be legal to drive a vehicle with a previous GVWR of 35,000lbs once it's re-registered?

The bus I'm hoping to purchase is located in Ohio, with a GVWR of 35,000 and is titled as a commercial bus in Ohio. It's a 95 BlueBird. I live in NY, and have a class D license. As it stands now, I'm unable to legally transport the bus from Ohio to NY to do the conversion.

After reading this thread, and a number of calls to the DMV with varying degrees of information, my options for obtaining, transporting, and insuring this bus seem to be:

A. Get my CDL- I'm not opposed to this, but it seems to be a long process, and I don't want to put off our conversion that long.

B. Purchase the bus, and store it in Ohio while I register it in Vermont. Once registered, get insurance and go pick up the bus. So far, this seems to be my best option, but it involves multiple flights and lost conversion time. Would I still need to get an RV (R) endorsement on my class D license since the bus is over 35k to drive it back to NY?

C. Find a different bus...

I've been trying to figure this all out for a while now, and this thread seemed like a great place to find out if there's some sort of work around here I'm not seeing.

Thanks for any help!
Old 08-20-2017, 09:53 AM   #287
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I wonder if its possible to get your bus re-titled in ohio as a motorhome without being a resident. my carpenter was titled in ohio as a MH and it definitely didnt meet the requirements but the DMV doesnt insopect either.,. for an ohio title they just verify the VIN on the title matches the VIN on the vehicle.. and you sign a pieced of paper saying it has a bed, a stove, and heat or air (i think thats all the requirements are here).
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 11:09 AM   #288
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyKoleMedina View Post
I've been reading this thread for a while, and I have a couple questions.

1. If the bus is registered in Vermont, but I don't live in Vermont ( I live in NY), and I don't wish to change the registration to NY b/c we're moving out of state in 11 months, how do you get insurance for that time for a bus registered in a different state?

2. As there is no inspection for the Vermont registration, would I be legal to drive a vehicle with a previous GVWR of 35,000lbs once it's re-registered?

The bus I'm hoping to purchase is located in Ohio, with a GVWR of 35,000 and is titled as a commercial bus in Ohio. It's a 95 BlueBird. I live in NY, and have a class D license. As it stands now, I'm unable to legally transport the bus from Ohio to NY to do the conversion.

After reading this thread, and a number of calls to the DMV with varying degrees of information, my options for obtaining, transporting, and insuring this bus seem to be:

A. Get my CDL- I'm not opposed to this, but it seems to be a long process, and I don't want to put off our conversion that long.

B. Purchase the bus, and store it in Ohio while I register it in Vermont. Once registered, get insurance and go pick up the bus. So far, this seems to be my best option, but it involves multiple flights and lost conversion time. Would I still need to get an RV (R) endorsement on my class D license since the bus is over 35k to drive it back to NY?

C. Find a different bus...

I've been trying to figure this all out for a while now, and this thread seemed like a great place to find out if there's some sort of work around here I'm not seeing.

Thanks for any help!

Our bus is insured in the state of Texas and Registered in Vermont. We were insured before even registering the bus. We are not concerned about this. Once we are on the road we'll be traveling the US before eventually settling in WA state. That said if we're pulled over in any of those visited states we're technically not registered in them. So what does it really matter. I'm going the most logical route of simply going with the flow. Going to the bus conversion route if unconventional so I knew coming into this that even the paper work would be a bit strange as well. That and we know people that live in Vermont if we need a reference for legal sakes..
Old 08-20-2017, 11:59 AM   #289
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayAllen View Post
Our bus is insured in the state of Texas and Registered in Vermont. We were insured before even registering the bus. We are not concerned about this. Once we are on the road we'll be traveling the US before eventually settling in WA state. That said if we're pulled over in any of those visited states we're technically not registered in them. So what does it really matter. I'm going the most logical route of simply going with the flow. Going to the bus conversion route if unconventional so I knew coming into this that even the paper work would be a bit strange as well. That and we know people that live in Vermont if we need a reference for legal sakes..
So you just got it insured as a bus prior to purchase, then you'll get a new policy once it's re-titled as a MH? This seems like a good route to go... The bus won't drive much at all during conversion. What about the GVWR on the bus prior to Vermont registration? Does your license allow for you o drive vehicles over 26,000 GVWR
Old 08-20-2017, 12:06 PM   #290
Mini-Skoolie

Our insurance company actually insured it as a MH once we told them what we were doing. Only general liability during the conversion, full coverage after we complete it.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:14 PM   #291
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayAllen View Post
Our insurance company actually insured it as a MH once we told them what we were doing. Only general liability during the conversion, full coverage after we complete it.
That's awesome, I haven't had such good luck...
Old 08-21-2017, 08:07 PM   #292
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: NaviStar DT466e 7.6
Rated Cap: 29,000
I'm follow the directions word for word from page one of this thread and I've read every page since but I haven't seen anyone post about the "$6.00 Warranty fee" in section 9 of the application form VD 119

My bus is a 1999 so I'm following the directions for >15 years. I'm going to do a 2 year registration so I've included the $140 plus the 6% net taxable from the purchase price but should I also include $6.00 for the warranty fee? The field was already filled in with "$6.00" in section 9 next to "Warranty" when I filled out the form.

Kind of odd that $6.00 is not auto-filled on page 2, "customer copy", but is on page one.....

http://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/fil...itle_App_0.pdf
XBUNCEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:17 PM   #293
Mini-Skoolie

Engine: NaviStar DT466e 7.6
Rated Cap: 29,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaBus5 View Post
I submitted everything as recommended in this thread, got my plates in about 10 days, registration a few days later. I also got a check for $6, because apparently the warranty fee that I paid was unnecessary.

I haven't gotten the title yet, but the registration says body type MH, so I'm hoping/assuming that's what the title will say as well.

On my application form, they crossed out my husband's and my GA drivers license numbers and wrote in "Create - " with a new number after it. Maybe this means they assigned us VT license numbers even though we don't actually have licenses in VT???
Ahhh, nevermind, I found my answer on page 26.
XBUNCEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 01:15 AM   #294
Almost There

Year: 2001
Chassis: GM CV 6600 I think lol
Engine: 3126 A Caterpillar AT2400
Rated Cap: 54 ps
Hi RayAllen,
Which insurance company?
lemmeskoolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:19 PM   #295
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmeskoolu View Post
Hi RayAllen,
Which insurance company?
We called Good Sam and they took care of us. Technically we called Good Sam and National General Insurance is the underwriter.

For us it was a very simple process. We simply emailed Good Sam, they called us and we explained the conversion. We then recieved a general liability policy. The rep told us once the conversion is complete to call back and we can make it full coverage.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:24 PM   #296
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBUNCEX View Post
I'm follow the directions word for word from page one of this thread and I've read every page since but I haven't seen anyone post about the "$6.00 Warranty fee" in section 9 of the application form VD 119

My bus is a 1999 so I'm following the directions for >15 years. I'm going to do a 2 year registration so I've included the $140 plus the 6% net taxable from the purchase price but should I also include $6.00 for the warranty fee? The field was already filled in with "$6.00" in section 9 next to "Warranty" when I filled out the form.

Kind of odd that $6.00 is not auto-filled on page 2, "customer copy", but is on page one.....

http://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/fil...itle_App_0.pdf
It was posted about once or twice. Ididn't pay the warranty fee. I don't think it is applicable except on new vehicles.
warewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:22 PM   #297
Mini-Skoolie

Has anybody had problems getting out-of-Vermont cops to fill out the VIN verification form? The city police down here sent someone out, but she refused to fill the form because she wasn't sure if she was authorized per the instructions on the back (says it has to be a state-level LEO or someone "authorized by that state to do VIN verifications"). I pointed out that she must be authorized to do VIN verifications because she said she does them all the time for Florida registrations, but she insisted that the rules might be different for an out-of-state registration and she didn't want to get in trouble. =/ Gonna try the state highway patrol and the local DMV tomorrow, but wondering if anyone has any advice...
cromulence police is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 11:46 PM   #298
Almost There

Year: 2001
Chassis: GM CV 6600 I think lol
Engine: 3126 A Caterpillar AT2400
Rated Cap: 54 ps
😎 thx i will check them out
lemmeskoolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 12:03 AM   #299
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 20 person
Registration

Luckily we live in FL, it was an easy process. I signed an affadavit and payed the fee.
Youtube - bit.ly/TheBowserJournal
BowserJournal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:16 AM   #300
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowserJournal View Post
Luckily we live in FL, it was an easy process. I signed an affadavit and payed the fee.
Yeah, I'm not sure why anyone in FL would need to do the Vermont method.