Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2017, 12:57 PM   #301
Mini-Skoolie

I tried the VIN verification again yesterday, and this time instead of a cop they sent out a police service technician, who had no problem filling out the form. Phew!

The main reason I used the VT method was that I needed to get tags for the bus ASAP, and I was located in NYC at the time. The VT method allowed me to take a Megabus trip up to Montpelier and get tags in person the same day. But it's also advantageous for insurance purposes, since Florida requires you to surrender your tags if you let your insurance lapse even momentarily, and the insurance companies are required to inform them of any lapses. VT doesn't keep track of it at all, apparently.

cromulence police is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:12 PM   #302
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: Cat 7.2 C7 I6 Turbo
Rated Cap: 66 ankle biters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazolba View Post
Check your state regulations. Here in AZ, if you live here you have to register your out-of-state vehicle in AZ immediately. They don't give any grace period. Before you can register, you must pass emissions (this depends on your county). They have a snooper program so anyone passing by that sees your plate could report you.
This is why I can't figure out why this thread is so popular. I would think most other states would be like this too but perhaps not.

What happens if you keep your Vermont registration for a year and you go to register it in your home state after conversion? Do they ask when you bought it and find out you bought it a year ago and it's registered in another state?

I live in AZ too and am looking to get AZ registration for the reason you say. I'll have to call MVD for registration costs for a bus vs. a motor home.
Oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:53 PM   #303
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: NaviStar DT466e 7.6
Rated Cap: 29,000
Some states have very lax laws about re-registering a vehicle as a motorhome, and in some states it is damn near impossible.
This thread appeals to those who would like to register their bus as a motorhome for the many benefits. For some like myself it is worth paying for the registration in Vermont and then immediately transferring it to my home state to avoid the near impossible task of jumping through the very obscure, always changing, grey hoops that are required.
XBUNCEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:05 PM   #304
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Engine: Cat 7.2 C7 I6 Turbo
Rated Cap: 66 ankle biters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazolba View Post
Check your state regulations. Here in AZ, if you live here you have to register your out-of-state vehicle in AZ immediately. They don't give any grace period. Before you can register, you must pass emissions (this depends on your county). They have a snooper program so anyone passing by that sees your plate could report you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBUNCEX View Post
Some states have very lax laws about re-registering a vehicle as a motorhome, and in some states it is damn near impossible.
This thread appeals to those who would like to register their bus as a motorhome for the many benefits. For some like myself it is worth paying for the registration in Vermont and then immediately transferring it to my home state to avoid the near impossible task of jumping through the very obscure, always changing, grey hoops that are required.
Thanks for the explanation.

I also thought it might be that paying for a full year's registration in Vermont combined with registering the vehicle as a motor home might cost less than just registering the vehicle as a bus. I have yet to find out the costs since I just bought my bus and have yet to register it.
Oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:12 PM   #305
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Another reason some may want to go the VT route is that some states charge quite a bit more for registration and if you are full time on the road you may be able to avoid the "home state hassle".
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:12 PM   #306
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddball View Post
Thanks for the explanation.

I also thought it might be that paying for a full year's registration in Vermont combined with registering the vehicle as a motor home might cost less than just registering the vehicle as a bus. I have yet to find out the costs since I just bought my bus and have yet to register it.
In Massachusetts, you can't register it as a bus... Unless you are going to be using it to transport paying customers... And if it isn't already converted, you can't register it as a motor home (auto home), because it used to be a bus they won't let you register it as a personal vehicle... So you have to have commercial insurance and register it commercial... At $30.00 per 1,000 lbs...
I am currently fighting to have it classified as. Personal vehicle.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:11 AM   #307
Bus Geek

Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedlee View Post
So I was curious what would happen if I tried to insure mine through Progressive by routing through the USAA website. Essentially, I logged into USAA and was routed to a USAA-branded Progressive site. I filled in my bus details and was able to purchase insurance! I completed the sale, printed my ID cards, etc. I am anxious to hear if they are going to come back and withdraw my coverage, but this process worked. $125/year for basic liability coverage in MD.
I have USAA and had a hell of a time insuring my bus. I was turned down by Progressive so I went thru AIS. When all the paperwork came back it was thru Progressive which pissed me off. It also costing $831 a year!!

I figured out how to enter my info but there's a catch...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Progressive website
I confirm that the recreational vehicle(s) listed on this quote:
  • Is not used for any commercial or business activity.
  • Is not used at or commuting to and from a work site.
  • Is not a converted school, passenger, or transit bus.
  • Is not a rented vehicle, under a conditional sales agreement with a short term return policy, or leased or rented to others.
  • Does not have a state assigned VIN or salvaged titled vehicle(s) if I am requesting Comprehensive and/or Collision coverage for the vehicle.
  • Includes cooking, refrigeration, sleeping, bathroom facilities, self-contained heating and/or air conditioning, drinkable water supply system, and 110-125 volt electrical power system (including solar powered systems).
Did you simply lie? If so, you're likely to be screwed if you ever have a claim.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:16 AM   #308
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
If you use the online form you only have insurance till they figure you out and you get a notice of cancellation. That's typically how it goes, anyhow.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:36 AM   #309
Almost There

Year: 1998
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5,9 12V
Rated Cap: 24 seats, 3 wheelchairs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
I have USAA and had a hell of a time insuring my bus. I was turned down by Progressive so I went thru AIS. When all the paperwork came back it was thru Progressive which pissed me off. It also costing $831 a year!!

I figured out how to enter my info but there's a catch...

Did you simply lie? If so, you're likely to be screwed if you ever have a claim.
A lot of conversation has happened since this post on the thread. Also, that caveat about the school bus was not in the original language. I think there was a major overhaul to the exceptions listed so that NOW you are seeing the language about converted school buses.

Really long story short -- I tried several companies and eventually got a comprehensive deal with State Farm for pretty cheap.
natedlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:38 AM   #310
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedlee View Post
A lot of conversation has happened since this post on the thread. Also, that caveat about the school bus was not in the original language. I think there was a major overhaul to the exceptions listed so that NOW you are seeing the language about converted school buses.

Really long story short -- I tried several companies and eventually got a comprehensive deal with State Farm for pretty cheap.
The school bus exclusion has been there since at least 2012 or 13.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:30 PM   #311
Bus Geek

Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
The school bus exclusion has been there since at least 2012 or 13.
But was it there in print?

State Farm, All State, Gieco, and Farmers didn't allow the bus VIN online. Progressive did but then came back with that note. $134 a year for my VIN as a non bus but $838 as a bus.

I called All State and she said no but she was going to double check when I said it was registered as a multipurpose. Haven't heard back from her so I'm guessing no.

Still haven't checked with Good Sam or NatGen which I saw were cheaper for some people.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:34 AM   #312

Has anyone tried this in Texas? Just bought my bus day before yesterday and wanted to try and get it registered so I can move it around if need be. After the Vermont registration can you just take your paperwork to a Texas DMV and get it registered here or do you still need to provide proof of it being an RV?

Thank you!
thejordonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:39 AM   #313
Skoolie

Coachwork: International
Engine: 3800 T444E
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejordonian View Post
Has anyone tried this in Texas? Just bought my bus day before yesterday and wanted to try and get it registered so I can move it around if need be. After the Vermont registration can you just take your paperwork to a Texas DMV and get it registered here or do you still need to provide proof of it being an RV?

Thank you!

We are sending ours off. We are state of Texas.
syntel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:03 AM   #314

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntel View Post
We are sending ours off. We are state of Texas.
So you think that Texas will transfer the title over without proof of conversion?
Old 09-26-2017, 09:19 PM   #315
Skoolie

Quote:
So you think that Texas will transfer the title over without proof of conversion?
I cannot attest so... but my partner does not like the process... so we go the hard method - ask for a one-way-transit ($9 each) that's good for like 14 days until the bus is done.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:47 PM   #316

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntel View Post
I cannot attest so... but my partner does not like the process... so we go the hard method - ask for a one-way-transit ($9 each) that's good for like 14 days until the bus is done.
I'll probably end up doing that as well. Thank you!
Old 09-27-2017, 09:57 AM   #317
Skoolie

Quote:
I'll probably end up doing that as well. Thank you!
I used a "One-Trip" permit to move the bus here. Call the DMV - the people there were friendly to me.

TXDMV.GOV - Temporary Permits

Their online links are kinda hard to find - it looks like a goofy icon rounded-square. But here's a direct link to their system:

https://rts.texasonline.state.tx.us/TempPermit/#nbb
Old 09-28-2017, 08:04 AM   #318

Thanks for the info. I will be trying this as Maine will not change the title from commercial to RV. Curious do you have to go to vermont to get the vehicle safety inspected or can you get a sticker in another state??
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:26 AM   #319
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1986
Chassis: Ward/AmTran
Engine: Ford 4V 429/385 Big Block
Live in NY. Purchased my bus in Colorado, where it was titled as a Truck (TK). I've been planning on doing the Vermont method listed here, but I'm wondering if I should just register in NY as a truck while I do the conversion work?

The other issue, is we purchased the bus with a (very well done) 16" roof raise. The bus is currently stripped out. No seats. No wall panels. Nothing. The NY registration asks if, "this vehicle has been modified to change it's class"? That would seem to apply here...

Vehicle has GVWR of 20,000 on the placard.

Insurance is currently very expensive... Not sure how much the RV title switch will change that.

Any input is appreciated.
FunkyKoleMedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:21 PM   #320
Mini-Skoolie

If you register through Vermont, you can avoid buying insurance until you finish the conversion (or whenever you start actually driving the thing). Not sure how it works in NY, but in FL you *must* have the vehicle insured as soon as it's registered, so Vermont is saving me a lot of money right now.
cromulence police is offline   Reply With Quote