Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-25-2016, 11:20 AM   #21
Bus Nut
 
tobeamiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 772
Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I'm in NY

and I have no idea where to start.
So. I'm thinking that I call my insurance company and have it insured but I don't know if I should tell them it's a school bus that will be converted or RV...
Since my build will take at least 2 months (I don't even know at this point) then I'm hoping to get temporary insurance on it until I'm ready to drive it away.......(I really can't wait for that day!)
Once I get it insured, I'll head over to DMV and get it registered. Hoping that if they see it's insured as an RV that they'll register it as one?????

Clueless!!!
tobeamiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:27 AM   #22
Bus Nut
 
warewolff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 483
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobeamiss View Post
and I have no idea where to start.
So. I'm thinking that I call my insurance company and have it insured but I don't know if I should tell them it's a school bus that will be converted or RV...
Since my build will take at least 2 months (I don't even know at this point) then I'm hoping to get temporary insurance on it until I'm ready to drive it away.......(I really can't wait for that day!)
Once I get it insured, I'll head over to DMV and get it registered. Hoping that if they see it's insured as an RV that they'll register it as one?????

Clueless!!!
Probably not but depends on where you live.
__________________
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need ... roads.
warewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:31 AM   #23
Bus Nut
 
johnbloem1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Montana/Texas
Posts: 646
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Crown by Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: 230 HP DT 466e/MT 643!
Rated Cap: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobeamiss View Post
and I have no idea where to start.
So. I'm thinking that I call my insurance company and have it insured but I don't know if I should tell them it's a school bus that will be converted or RV...
Since my build will take at least 2 months (I don't even know at this point) then I'm hoping to get temporary insurance on it until I'm ready to drive it away.......(I really can't wait for that day!)
Once I get it insured, I'll head over to DMV and get it registered. Hoping that if they see it's insured as an RV that they'll register it as one?????

Clueless!!!
I would check with your county motor vehicle tax department. Here in Texas (Kerr county) to get it registered as a motor home, I had to have it weighed and show pictures of the conversion. Also had to have the safety inspection(any state inspection shop will do it - they just check the lights, horn, wipers, etc). They did not care what type of insurance I had just as long as there was the minimum liability on it. I went in there, told them what I was doing and I had a really nice lady help me out. She called the headquarters of the Texas DMV to make sure we were doing it right and she even filled out the forms for me! I now have my bus registered as a motor home and should be receiving the corrected title in about a week!

Long story short - go to your county tax assesor and check with them. They will know the laws and what needs to be done!

John
johnbloem1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 01:29 PM   #24
Bus Nut
 
warewolff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 483
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbloem1974 View Post
I would check with your county motor vehicle tax department. Here in Texas (Kerr county) to get it registered as a motor home, I had to have it weighed and show pictures of the conversion. Also had to have the safety inspection(any state inspection shop will do it - they just check the lights, horn, wipers, etc). They did not care what type of insurance I had just as long as there was the minimum liability on it. I went in there, told them what I was doing and I had a really nice lady help me out. She called the headquarters of the Texas DMV to make sure we were doing it right and she even filled out the forms for me! I now have my bus registered as a motor home and should be receiving the corrected title in about a week!

Long story short - go to your county tax assesor and check with them. They will know the laws and what needs to be done!

John
The advantage to out of state registration, like described on this thread, is you can bypass all that. Even the inspection. Nobody in my home state knows what a Vermont inspection looks like and they've never busted my chops. I've never had an inspection performed on any of these vehicles. I didn't have to talk to anyone or meet any arbitrary RV requirements.


Then again, I prefer my privacy. I work primarily from home now in solar sales and I'm becoming a total recluse.
__________________
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need ... roads.
warewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 01:58 PM   #25
Bus Nut
 
AlleyCat67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Music City USA
Posts: 737
Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
You and I got that in common Warewolff..... I'm not a TOTAL recluse yet but might as well be. I hardly ever go out anywhere if I don't have to, prefer to just sit at home and do things.
__________________
My bus - Jasmine - External Build Website - YouTube Channel - TN/KY Meetup Group
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 01:36 PM   #26
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: chicago, il
Posts: 220
Year: 2003
Chassis: IC CE
Engine: T444
okay im filling this out now, where do i find the VA fee for new motor homes?
Azuleslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 01:41 PM   #27
Bus Nut
 
AlleyCat67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Music City USA
Posts: 737
Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
$76 for one year registration, $140 for two years. $35 title fee. $6 warranty fee (required for first-time registration on a vehicle).

I had to pay that title fee because my bus is only 12 years old. If yours is 15 or more years old all they give you is a registration so you may not have to pay that $35 fee. I'd check with them if you have any questions about that.

Oh, and make sure if you paid tax on it, you include proof of that. Otherwise take 6% of the purchase price and add it to the above fees.

Full instructions here:
Instructions for DMV-VD119
__________________
My bus - Jasmine - External Build Website - YouTube Channel - TN/KY Meetup Group
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 01:51 PM   #28
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: chicago, il
Posts: 220
Year: 2003
Chassis: IC CE
Engine: T444
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyCat67 View Post
$76 for one year registration, $140 for two years. $35 title fee. $6 warranty fee (required for first-time registration on a vehicle).

I had to pay that title fee because my bus is only 12 years old. If yours is 15 or more years old all they give you is a registration so you may not have to pay that $35 fee. I'd check with them if you have any questions about that.

Oh, and make sure if you paid tax on it, you include proof of that. Otherwise take 6% of the purchase price and add it to the above fees.

Full instructions here:
Instructions for DMV-VD119
what if i already have a title? or do i just pay the fee and pretend the first one doesn't exist? lol I already paid 6.25% tax here in illinois, so ill send them a photocopy of the bill of sales.
Azuleslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 02:01 PM   #29
Bus Nut
 
AlleyCat67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Music City USA
Posts: 737
Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
You include a copy of the title when you send everything in. According to the OP, they don't issue titles on a vehicle >15 yrs old so you get what they call a transferrable registration which can then be used to retitle in IL (or wherever you choose to call home if you're gonna be on the road a lot), if it's gonna be a big deal. When you transfer at the DMV in any state they're gonna collect the old title and issue a new one anyway, VT apparently is an exception to that rule, at least on older vehicles.

My bus is only 12 so I will get a new title. as well.

So when you get ready to send it off....

- VD119 form
- Copy of title, front and back
- Copy of bill of sale showing tax paid
- VIN verification, if needed (with a bill of sale and title, should not be)
- Check or money order for fees

Mail to Montpelier office (address shown in original post or in instructions I linked previously).

My tags could conceivably come tomorrow, if they processed it as soon as it arrived in their office (doubtful, but anything is possible). I figure one day this week, or maybe early next week I'll have tag in hand if nothing goes awry.
__________________
My bus - Jasmine - External Build Website - YouTube Channel - TN/KY Meetup Group
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 02:07 PM   #30
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: chicago, il
Posts: 220
Year: 2003
Chassis: IC CE
Engine: T444
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyCat67 View Post
You include a copy of the title when you send everything in. According to the OP, they don't issue titles on a vehicle >15 yrs old so you get what they call a transferrable registration which can then be used to retitle in IL (or wherever you choose to call home if you're gonna be on the road a lot), if it's gonna be a big deal. When you transfer at the DMV in any state they're gonna collect the old title and issue a new one anyway, VT apparently is an exception to that rule, at least on older vehicles.

My bus is only 12 so I will get a new title. as well.

So when you get ready to send it off....

- VD119 form
- Copy of title, front and back
- Copy of bill of sale showing tax paid
- VIN verification, if needed (with a bill of sale and title, should not be)
- Check or money order for fees

Mail to Montpelier office (address shown in original post or in instructions I linked previously).

My tags could conceivably come tomorrow, if they processed it as soon as it arrived in their office (doubtful, but anything is possible). I figure one day this week, or maybe early next week I'll have tag in hand if nothing goes awry.
so i'd get 76 + 6 in fee's and then need the rest of that? also i dont know my empty or gross weight and my bus is out there i think my max is 27,500 as a 33+1 bus. can i just put anything? lol
Azuleslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 06:48 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Johnston County, NC
Posts: 19
Year: 1990
Chassis: Blue Bird tc/2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 L L6 diesel
Rated Cap: 48 (12 windows)
Sounds good to me!

Any reason to retitle in my own state? I live in North Carolina. Can I just continue to use the VT plate and renew the registration with VT every year or so?

Bell (my skoolie gets here Wednesday!)
Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 06:56 PM   #32
Bus Nut
 
AlleyCat67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Music City USA
Posts: 737
Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
Azule: You don't need to worry about any of that if you specify motor home/19, the weight block is only for trucks.

Bell: that's what the OP said he does, he's in NY. If you plan on moving around a lot it shouldn't be an issue.... if you stay close to home most of the time sooner or later someone may catch on unless you have a place to park it where the back end with the plate is not visible.

For myself I will likely be moving around, not a lot but enough to stay under the radar.

If you want to retitle/register in NC that's entirely up to you... you're paying for a year on the VT plate so might as well get that year out of it before doing anything.
__________________
My bus - Jasmine - External Build Website - YouTube Channel - TN/KY Meetup Group
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:41 PM   #33
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Johnston County, NC
Posts: 19
Year: 1990
Chassis: Blue Bird tc/2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 L L6 diesel
Rated Cap: 48 (12 windows)
Thanks... I think I will try it.
Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:48 PM   #34
Bus Nut
 
AlleyCat67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Music City USA
Posts: 737
Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
Good luck and let us know when you get 'em!
__________________
My bus - Jasmine - External Build Website - YouTube Channel - TN/KY Meetup Group
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 09:10 PM   #35
Bus Nut
 
warewolff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 483
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuleslight View Post
so i'd get 76 + 6 in fee's and then need the rest of that? also i dont know my empty or gross weight and my bus is out there i think my max is 27,500 as a 33+1 bus. can i just put anything? lol
I have never paid the $6 warranty fee. I don't know what Alleycat is referencing but I have had multiple successes without including that extra $6. You also need to include sales tax (6 percent of your purchase price) OR proof that you already paid sales tax.

I'm real glad so many people are taking this route!! Don't forget to post your successes. My plates were back 2 weeks after I mailed the application and the registration took an extra 2 or 3 days to arrive, as they ship them separately.
__________________
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need ... roads.
warewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 09:40 PM   #36
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell View Post
Any reason to retitle in my own state? I live in North Carolina. Can I just continue to use the VT plate and renew the registration with VT every year or so?

<snip>
Check your state regulations. Here in AZ, if you live here you have to register your out-of-state vehicle in AZ immediately. They don't give any grace period. Before you can register, you must pass emissions (this depends on your county). They have a snooper program so anyone passing by that sees your plate could report you.
Gazolba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 10:55 PM   #37
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: chicago, il
Posts: 220
Year: 2003
Chassis: IC CE
Engine: T444
Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolff View Post
I have never paid the $6 warranty fee. I don't know what Alleycat is referencing but I have had multiple successes without including that extra $6. You also need to include sales tax (6 percent of your purchase price) OR proof that you already paid sales tax.

I'm real glad so many people are taking this route!! Don't forget to post your successes. My plates were back 2 weeks after I mailed the application and the registration took an extra 2 or 3 days to arrive, as they ship them separately.

so will i get the new RV title or the title and the plates? I R
Azuleslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 10:56 PM   #38
Bus Nut
 
AlleyCat67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Music City USA
Posts: 737
Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolff View Post
I have never paid the $6 warranty fee. I don't know what Alleycat is referencing but I have had multiple successes without including that extra $6. You also need to include sales tax (6 percent of your purchase price) OR proof that you already paid sales tax.

I'm real glad so many people are taking this route!! Don't forget to post your successes. My plates were back 2 weeks after I mailed the application and the registration took an extra 2 or 3 days to arrive, as they ship them separately.
It's right there in the instructions..... new registrations are supposed to include that. I guess I could have misinterpreted it and that's only for registering a NEW vehicle from a dealer.... but all the same it's only 6 bucks, not like I'm really gonna miss it.
__________________
My bus - Jasmine - External Build Website - YouTube Channel - TN/KY Meetup Group
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 03:49 PM   #39
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 10
Any news guys?? I'm about to try this myself!
jugganaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 04:02 PM   #40
Skoolie
 
Justin McCormick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 160
Year: 1997
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 5.9L Diesel Engine
Rated Cap: 83
It worked for me. I received plates in the mail last week.
__________________
Follow our bus blog here -
https://www.wildernesswandering.com/
Justin McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×