Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2019, 03:03 PM   #961
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeplist View Post
The Ohio title said "INTL" as the make. Hopefully, it's okay. And if not, it's too late to change it now, because the mail has already ran for today and the packet is on the way to Vermont.

I wouldn't sweat it too much. As long as the VIN is correct they'll process it, cross out your errors, and modify as necessary. That's also assuming you paid them the correct amount.

Old 05-31-2019, 03:36 PM   #962

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Rated Cap: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolff View Post
I wouldn't sweat it too much. As long as the VIN is correct they'll process it, cross out your errors, and modify as necessary.
I figured as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolff View Post
That's also assuming you paid them the correct amount.
I cut them a check for a total of $214 which was $76 for the registration fee plus $138 in tax (6% of $2300)... now to sit back and wait...

[/youtube]

Thank you to everybody for your help on this process. I really appreciate it.
deeplist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:32 PM   #963
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I might have assumed incorrectly. I can't for the life of me find MY title. But I found the old Mt. title, says the Make is Genesis, Model is Transit Bus. So nowhere does it say AmTran though it clearly is one.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:40 AM   #964
Skoolie

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126
Time Table

Day...
  • 17: Check processed.
  • 23: Plates received.
  • 27: Validation sticker received.
Green mountains, here I come.
Marceps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:41 AM   #965
Bus Crazy

Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Kudos!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marceps View Post
Day...
  • 17: Check processed.
  • 23: Plates received.
  • 27: Validation sticker received.
Green mountains, here I come.
This is a fine time of the year to visit Vermont.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:20 AM   #966
Mini-Skoolie

ok I am about to do this thing lol. I have one question, and I have tried reading through the like 100 pages of posts here but all the debating and theorizing back and forth started to give me anxiety and more questions and well, I can't do that to myself haha.

So my ONE question here is do I need to have insurance BEFORE I send this stuff in? Or can I get the insurance AFTER I get my plates and such?

Thank you in advance!
PoisenedLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:31 AM   #967
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisenedLily View Post
ok I am about to do this thing lol. I have one question, and I have tried reading through the like 100 pages of posts here but all the debating and theorizing back and forth started to give me anxiety and more questions and well, I can't do that to myself haha.

So my ONE question here is do I need to have insurance BEFORE I send this stuff in? Or can I get the insurance AFTER I get my plates and such?

Thank you in advance!
It is wise to always have insurance first. What kind of policy you can get will depend on what the title says your bus is.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:45 AM   #968
Mini-Skoolie

THIS is why I'm confused. It's titled as a bus and I'd need a commercial insurance policy but then my plates will say motor home? Wouldn't it be better to insure it when the plates and transferable registration come? Basically I guess I'm asking if Vermont requires proof of insurance. Not necessarily what is the safest route. Yes I know that's not always super smart BUT right now I just need the facts I think. Like can it be done or no. This whole process has me all stressed out LOL
Old 06-05-2019, 11:47 AM   #969
Bus Geek

Quote:
THIS is why I'm confused. It's titled as a bus and I'd need a commercial insurance policy but then my plates will say motor home? Wouldn't it be better to insure it when the plates and transferable registration come? Basically I guess I'm asking if Vermont requires proof of insurance. Not necessarily what is the safest route. Yes I know that's not always super smart BUT right now I just need the facts I think. Like can it be done or no. This whole process has me all stressed out LOL
When you buy the bus you can not legally put it on a public road with out insurance coverage. A commercial policy would suffice for that. Once the title is converted to MH you will be able to insure it as a MH, but only after the insurance company approves the conversion.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:21 PM   #970
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Check with your insurance company.

I am insured with State Farm in Washington. Things do vary by state and insurance company.

I have insured three buses with commercial for personal policies while converting. All were titled and registered as RV's.

I asked my insurance agent directly and she told me that they don't care what is on the title. They are happy to insure it just not as an RV until the conversion is done.

I have had two insurance claims paid on buses titled and insured this way. No problem.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:26 PM   #971
Mini-Skoolie

Ty! Ok now it makes more sense to me hearing that you basically just change your insurance type after the conversion.

To be clear I had no intention of driving it without insurance. My questions were really just a lot which steps to take in which order to cut down on how many different things I need to do LOL

I really appreciate people replying to help me better understand what I'm doing! Between the conversion, trying to make it road legal, and also trying to run my business and pay my "regular" bills I tend to feel upside down most days haha
Old 06-05-2019, 01:54 PM   #972
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
seems to me if registered as a motorhome then insure as a motorhome.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:56 PM   #973
Mini-Skoolie

Ronnie, yes that was the confusion I had. I clearly can't insure it as a motor home until I register it as a motor home in VT. That is where I was lost. But it appears as though I can send this all in to VT with no proof of insurance so I will do that and then when everything comes in from VT I will insure it as a motor home.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:58 PM   #974
Bus Geek

To get the most useful answers, best to ask the right questions, worded as precisely as possible
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:05 PM   #975
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
we're lucky here in BC - it's strict, but it's all laid out so there is no confusion - it's not a motorhome until it passes inspection - you can't license or insure a vehicle from out of province until it passes a safety inspection - if you need to move a vehicle under construction, before it's inspected, or to get it inspected, you get a trip permit - if you are bringing a vehicle from out of province, you get a transport permit from the jurisdiction it was sold in and transit insurance from ICBC in BC - once it's in BC, you don't drive the vehicle until it at least has a safety check
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:29 PM   #976
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Quote:
Ronnie, yes that was the confusion I had. I clearly can't insure it as a motor home until I register it as a motor home in VT. That is where I was lost. But it appears as though I can send this all in to VT with no proof of insurance so I will do that and then when everything comes in from VT I will insure it as a motor home.
You are correct. Vermont does not require registered vehicles to be insured. You cannot drive it without insurance, of course, however you are free to get the registration out of the way while you are building your rig before you insure it.
warewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:38 PM   #977
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
It seems sensible to me but not in this case.

When I registered it, it met the states definition of an RV. So, I registered it as an RV.

Here in WA if a vehicle seats 16 or more OR has gvrw of 26,000 or more you must have a CDL UNLESS it is registered as an RV. My Bluebird is over 26k so if it were still registered as a bus, I could not drive it...

My insurance company won't insure it as an RV until the conversion meets their standards which are much stricter than DOL. They will cover it with a commercial for personal policy.

As you may have seen, a tree fell on one of my buses. Insurance paid without a hitch.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 03:10 PM   #978
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
After 4 months, I have finally gotten:

* My new title
* My new VT registration and tags
* My insurance

Except of course there is a new wrinkle: Allstate is requiring me to provide proof of prior motor home ownership. But I have never owned one previously and never claimed to have owned one. My agent has no idea where this came from or what I can do about it, and it's already past due.

Anyone run into this with Allstate motor home insurance before? One of the proof options is "Letter of experience" - can I send a letter that says "yep, never owned a motor home before"?
Old 06-05-2019, 03:25 PM   #979
Bus Geek

Yes. Do not stretch the truth past any point someone could verify.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 03:59 PM   #980
Bus Crazy

Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Sounds to me, if you send the note you described, they'll drop you faster than the force G typically pulls!
Maybe say that a friend let you drive their MH, while vacationing..?
Be helpful to have a friend willing to support the fib.