Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2019, 04:16 PM   #1001
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I didn't ask the cutoff date, but my 99 did not require a VIN verification. My apps and check are in the mailbox going out tomorrow.

o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 04:51 PM   #1002

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Ford
Engine: Ford E-450 6.0l
Success with this Method in Cali 2019?

Hey there everyone, first me poster!
just bought a 2006 Ford E-450 Shortie w/ a 6.0l Engine I intend to bulletproof!
Recently heard about the CARB restrictions on diesels and I am wondering f anyone has successfully gotten Vermont Plates on a California Skoolie? Is there any penalty for doing so?

Also wondering if anyone has completed the conversion and had their bus inspected in California to have the title changed to Motor Home/House Car.
If so what are the changes necessary to qualify as a Motor Home and be exempt from the restrictions?

ANY INFO is welcomed as I am considering selling my bus before I put all the work into conversion/bulletproofing if I will eventually not be able to register. Thanks
thegratefuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 04:55 PM   #1003
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
I'm not planning on any fibbing. The document submission is an online automation thing, so maybe I'll just scan a blank piece of paper and see if the system will accept that.
There were several things I could do to satisfy that requirement for State Farm.
They're NEVER going to verify if your Uncle Leeroy used to loan you his camper every summer.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 04:57 PM   #1004
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegratefuldog View Post
Hey there everyone, first me poster!
just bought a 2006 Ford E-450 Shortie w/ a 6.0l Engine I intend to bulletproof!
Recently heard about the CARB restrictions on diesels and I am wondering f anyone has successfully gotten Vermont Plates on a California Skoolie? Is there any penalty for doing so?

Also wondering if anyone has completed the conversion and had their bus inspected in California to have the title changed to Motor Home/House Car.
If so what are the changes necessary to qualify as a Motor Home and be exempt from the restrictions?

ANY INFO is welcomed as I am considering selling my bus before I put all the work into conversion/bulletproofing if I will eventually not be able to register. Thanks
I've been told Cali looks for out of state tags. I'd imagine they'd figure you out. Check your local laws and regs about out of state tags for residents and see what can be done.
https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2017...ate-crackdown/
Old 06-11-2019, 05:12 PM   #1005

HOW to go about getting your bus inspected to have the title changed in your state

Who would I contact regarding inspection of a completed conversion? Does anyone know if you can do this after diesel restrictions have been put in place? Possibly registering as a non-operative vehicle in the meantime? Thanks
Old 06-11-2019, 06:23 PM   #1006
Bus Geek

Quote:
Who would I contact regarding inspection of a completed conversion? Does anyone know if you can do this after diesel restrictions have been put in place? Possibly registering as a non-operative vehicle in the meantime? Thanks
There are members in CA who can fill you in on all the red tape. The rest of us don't envy you.
I think the emissions thing is gonna be a headache unfortunately.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:46 PM   #1007
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I've been told Cali looks for out of state tags. I'd imagine they'd figure you out. Check your local laws and regs about out of state tags for residents and see what can be done.
https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2017...ate-crackdown/
Every state requires local rego if you're driving it around there (technically just keeping it there but NP if out of sight) past X days, especially if you are a resident.

I doubt there are many that just don't care, but yes many like CA NY are actively vigilant.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:36 PM   #1008

Update on Cali Registration

Not as difficult as you would think and you are exempt from diesel regulations once you register. Talked to the Dmv head office for an hour and a half(on hold for an hour)
You just need to bring your title to the DMV with a Miscellaneous Statements Registration 256A form.
As far as conversion you need to have removed all seats and school related items(labels, stop signs etc.) and have done permanent modifications such as bed frame, kitchen Frame, bathroom frame, along with some components that make the vehicle "habitable" toilet, fridge, bed etc. Even found a case where a user in central Cali got his registered by just tearing the seats out and painting it. Good luck to other cali Skoolies.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:42 PM   #1009
Bus Geek

Quote:
Not as difficult as you would think and you are exempt from diesel regulations once you register. Talked to the Dmv head office for an hour and a half(on hold for an hour)
You just need to bring your title to the DMV with a Miscellaneous Statements Registration 256A form.
As far as conversion you need to have removed all seats and school related items(labels, stop signs etc.) and have done permanent modifications such as bed frame, kitchen Frame, bathroom frame, along with some components that make the vehicle "habitable" toilet, fridge, bed etc. Even found a case where a user in central Cali got his registered by just tearing the seats out and painting it. Good luck to other cali Skoolies.
Seems it is common for DMV workers to not do their job and register it by what you tell them it is, no skin off thier back if you can't insure after the title change.

To do a proper conversion, every state has the same similar requirements. You must have at least 4 of the 6 to be considered an RV/MH, your choice of which 4.

Cooking appliance with onboard fuel source
Gas or electric fridge
Toilet with exterior evac
Heat/AC with power other than engine
Potable (drinkable) water supply
110v power supply
Old 06-17-2019, 11:02 AM   #1010
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Saf T Liner MVP EF
Engine: CAT 3126B + Alison AT545
Waiting

I mailed mine in with a copy of the bill of sale, title copy, VD-119, and an itemized list of one.

Mailed 6/4
Check cashed 6/17
Tags - TBD
Stickers - TBD

Fingers Crossed
Aegis2x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 11:40 PM   #1011

Thumbs down Martial Law USA

its all selectively enforced. all the laws are lies! if you got a clerk, a worker, ANYONE against you, all you will get is a Run around from one Person to the other telling you different things. So many 'laws' you Cant please em all, and they use any distractable talking point to Waste your time &laugh at You. Its ALL Evil, and a Dance with Devil demon Doctrines. If a cop says "get out, your Not registering your Car today" your Not! once Your Targeted, your Done. Just like another Poster said here, 'try Another office' or Branch ..what the..? don't these People work for us? I had proof of insurance Stamped from Company, they Would still not Give me plates, even after i had all forms required, and went there twice. They just lie To your face, make Ya squirm, ..and Laugh with disdain. Saying "the Computer wont let me Change things" They even Sic people with Guns on you When you got money, insurance, and all you want is A simple plate. They are Evil Scum who Worship paper Work, and Walk all over Human life, liberty, and The Pursuit of Happiness. IRS wont Give me tax return Second year in a row Cuz they accuse Me of not Being Who i Say i Am! What Is your Country Coming to America? What! They Even Put Computer Screens Right Between Customer &worker So You Cant Even See Their face!
todyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:37 AM   #1012
Bus Geek

Try creating a more positive way of being in the world for yourself, change your expectations

that will attract better results into your life.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:41 AM   #1013
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Chassis: 3500
Engine: 6.6L
Just to let everyone know when you go this route and you want to be legal and get an inspection in the state of vt (i know most of you wont because your not visiting vt or for other reasons we live right next to vt and do many trips to the state so i wasnt chancing it ) but you do need proof of insurance in order to get the state inspection done. We had ours done through patriot freightliner real nice guys and service department
MIKE N STEPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 03:08 PM   #1014
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Every state requires local rego if you're driving it around there (technically just keeping it there but NP if out of sight) past X days, especially if you are a resident.

I doubt there are many that just don't care, but yes many like CA NY are actively vigilant.
No they do not. Not even MA, which is quite a dictatorial state, requires you to register a vehicle in MA because you drive there above some frequency. MA WILL require you to have insurance if you "regularly" drive into their state i.e. living in NH and working in MA. I learned about this law after about a year of living in NH and working in MA and I had previously been a resident of MA all of my adult life until I moved to NH (more than 25 years) and didn't know this law existed.

I could spend 3 months in MA when we build our skoolie and I would not be subject to registering it or really even insuring it as I would be "on vacation."
BetterWayLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 06:27 PM   #1015
Bus Geek

blanket statements in either direction can be false

If you **live in** the state where the vehicle is garaged and driven

as opposed to garaging and driving a vehicle in one state, while remaining legally domiciled in another

Many people have multiple homes in different states, and have cars that are garaged / used only in (and therefore registered in ) those multiple "vacation" states

but your DL can only be in your legal domicile state.

Grey-area scenarios are easy to construct, and the timeline varies,

but the general principle is, the vehicle gets registered and insured (and property-taxed in about half) in the state where it is garaged and used.

Some states do not bother enforcing much, others will actively try to domicile **you** there as well as the vehicle if it appears you both are actually living there.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:08 AM   #1016
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Saf T Liner MVP EF
Engine: CAT 3126B + Alison AT545
Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegis2x View Post
I mailed mine in with a copy of the bill of sale, title copy, VD-119, and an itemized list of one.

Fingers Crossed

Mailed 6/4
Check cashed 6/17
Tags - 6/19
Stickers - TBD

Yellow envelope arrived with tags. I also received a copy of my form with corrections but nothing else.

Tags do not say RV or Motor Home. They just green.
Aegis2x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 12:07 PM   #1017

Hello all- We just followed this process and received our plates in 1 week. We were expecting 3-6 but wow we were surprised at how easy and quick this was. Thank you for this information and resource.
M&KNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 02:01 PM   #1018
Bus Geek

Been more than a week since I sent mine in, no check cleared yet. I imagine mine might take longer because it involves a vanity plate. Anyone else registered a vanity plate in Vt.? Did you get anything temporary until the plates were made?
Old 06-23-2019, 07:41 PM   #1019

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Vision Handy Bus
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 36
VT DMV req for VIN verification

I’m a new bus owner in NY (YAY!), working thru all the registration/insurance issues that come with the skoolie conversion (BOO!).

I’m still working my way through the second half of this thread, but here seems to be enough confusion about when VIN verification is or isn’t required that I figured I woukd share what I learned from the VT DMV website (https://dmv.vermont.gov/tax-title/vehicle-identification-number-vin).

If you have a non-VT title from a private sale, it doesn’t matter how new your bus is, you need a VIN verification. Same if it’s titled in outside the US. There are some other specific scenarios having to do with salvage and bonds that won’t apply to us.

We bought ours at an auction in PA that’s run by a livensed dealer, so this should not be an issue for us. Whew!

“1. All used vehicles with out of state titles being registered/titled in the applicant’s name for the first time are required to procure a VIN verification from the personnel listed below unless purchased directly from a licensed dealer.“
Evl Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 11:48 AM   #1020
Mini-Skoolie

Hello,

I'm trying to buy a bus in Seattle, WA. Long story short-I already have RV insurance on this bus. VIN: 1BABKB0A2YF087880.

Could I hypothetically buy the bus, apply online for RV VT tags, get RV VT tags for bus, fly to Seattle with the RV VT tags, drive bus back home to CO?

Thank you.
Derka is offline   Reply With Quote