Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2020, 11:08 AM   #1481
Mini-Skoolie

To be clear, ours is a 2005 making it exactly 15 years old. Is my understanding correct that we will get a transferable registration? That we should include the paperwork and money for the transferable registration and not a title?

We don't need to include the $35 re-title fee or a VIN verification?

Plus we bought ours from Midwest Transit Equipment which I imagine has to be considered an authorized dealer since all they sell is buses.

Mr. Goodkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 08:30 PM   #1482
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf t liner
Engine: Cat C7 Diesel
Rated Cap: 24 and 3 wheelchairs
We can officially attest to this method as of today. We received our Vermont plates! We’re a little confused though because we didn’t receive a new title or stickers or a paper registration....
not yet anyways.
Our bus is a 2006 so it’s newer than 15 years.
Anyone have any experience with this? Will it come separately from the plates?
TIA
Roci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:12 PM   #1483
Mini-Skoolie

New to this...

Hi
So today I actually won an auction for a bus and I want to convert it eventually. First I have to get it then I have to register it, which is how I got here. I have a few questions going the Vermont route...
1) The bus is a 2005, so its 15 years old (model year. It was built 4/12/04). Would I receive a title or a transferable registration? I don't it getting kicked back one way or the other.
2) Since I purchased this at auction who's signature and info would I fill out on the odometer statement? I think the school district is just having one of the bus techs meet me at the garage and give me the keys and presumably the title.
3) I'm a NJ resident and this (I assume) has a NJ title. Do I need VIN verification?
Thanks
jonesy311c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 01:08 PM   #1484

Hi,
Yesterday I received my VT plates for my 1990 BB All American. Still waiting on the transferrable registration, I do however have a question to ask. On the envelope from the plates it says 'vehicles not displaying a valid vermont inspection sticker must be inspected within 15 days of registration'. I am in CA. Should I just fly without doing it or can it be done here in CA to the VT specs. And is the inspection just mechanical / brake and lamp or is it the conversion as well.

Thanks,
New user
(Ashtray)
onlyashtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 01:47 PM   #1485
Bus Geek

Did you even read the start of the thread?

No inspection is required in practice, so long as you never take your rig into Vermont.

Out of state LEO will not enforce VT regs
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 02:57 PM   #1486

I read through it yes I just wanted more verification, as I've never done this before and not sure if anything's changed, etc. Thanks though
onlyashtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 03:42 PM   #1487
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: Vista 3600
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 24000 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyashtray View Post
I read through it yes I just wanted more verification, as I've never done this before and not sure if anything's changed, etc. Thanks though
You are good... with some options
1. If you EVER go to Vermont then simply have it inspected whilst there.
2. Never go to Vermont and don't worry.
3. Roll the dice and go to the Vermont un-inspected and see what happens

We chose #2

A key note for the newbies attempting this. Remember the only reason you are doing this (mostly) is because you are looking to get the bus changed from BUS to MOTORHOME on the title designation... afterwards we all go to our home state DMV that told us to **** off earlier and tell em to register our new MOTORHOME and laugh with inner glee cause they must. I mean in a nutshell this is why we use vermont.

In our case in NC I didn't want to have anyone inspecting my rig and telling me I need this or that... it's a road tripper, not a tiny home, and we have no toilet or tanks (just a port a loo if needed for a wee) We stay in state parks and places with showers and facilities... we don't boondock and all that stuff.

NC can stuff it.. I did Vermont so I could simply avoid the hassle. Being tight however, since I paid Vermont for a years worth o tag I am getting my years worth... Once it is up for renewal this Octobor THEN I will go and get my NC tag and title as a MOTORHOME

for what its worth
RolesvilleMarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 04:01 PM   #1488
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolesvilleMarina View Post
Remember the only reason you are doing this (mostly) is because you are looking to get the bus changed from BUS to MOTORHOME on the title designation... afterwards we all go to our home state DMV that told us to **** off earlier and tell em to register our new MOTORHOME and laugh with inner glee cause they must.
My situation was a little different. I got title-jumped by my seller and he never gave me a Bill of Sale (eBay for you), so all I had in hand to prove ownership was a title signed over but not dated by the school system my seller had bought the bus from four years earlier. I was also not able to get a VIN verification on my bus - I called the local Philly PD to get an officer to come out to do this, and the dispatcher just said "nah" and hung up on me.

So I retitled it in PA (still as a BUS) - the title and tag person (who does not work for PennDOT, they basically just mail stuff in for you) laughed and told me to write in the date on the signed-over title, and I was able to get the PA title without a BOS (the clerk told me I'd be audited for it within six months to prove the purchase price, but it never happened, fortunately).

I then used the PA title (copy) to get the VT registration (which basically means I paid tax on it twice, once for PA and once for VT, so essentially it cost me $216 to get around being title-jumped). As far as I know, VT doesn't report registrations to other states (maybe they do?) so from the perspective of PA I think the PA title is still valid. I'm not exactly sure what will happen when (if) I try to register my motorhome in PA using the VT registration.
Old 07-19-2020, 06:12 PM   #1489
Bus Geek

AFAIK the VT papers can be used forever by many, as long as you don't get caught becoming "resident" in a state that enforces its "local vehicles must register in state" laws.

True nomads fulltiming of course are pretty much covered

and even many sedentary citizens with S&B homes live in states that don't.

California does!
Old 07-19-2020, 11:06 PM   #1490

How do they know?

When I’m sending this in how do they know that I’m changing it from a bus to a motorhome? The only thing that I see where they might see that is “Registration/Plate Type” section. In the instructions that field is left blank. Can someone please assist on that.

Also our bus was a gift and we cannot find the NADA value. I’m afraid to do tax on $500 and it not go through. Can someone also give me more info on that.

We have a 1991 International 3800

Thank you!
MyaRoseC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 11:25 PM   #1491
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyaRoseC View Post
When I’m sending this in how do they know that I’m changing it from a bus to a motorhome? The only thing that I see where they might see that is “Registration/Plate Type” section. In the instructions that field is left blank. Can someone please assist on that.

Also our bus was a gift and we cannot find the NADA value. I’m afraid to do tax on $500 and it not go through. Can someone also give me more info on that.

We have a 1991 International 3800

Thank you!
You will not find NADA on a bus afaik,,,

My bus was free -- Vt told me $500 value is THE MINIMUM value regardless of how little I paid ($1.00) Still a bargain! Pay the 6% of $500 and move on.

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 12:19 AM   #1492
Bus Geek

Quote:
Again, right in the first post

"Under Section 4, check "new registration". Skip the bit about plate # and expiration, as this is a new registration. When it asks for your registration/plate type, manually write in "Motor Home" followed by 19. I believe this is the code they use in the system to designate personal use."
Old 07-21-2020, 04:22 PM   #1493

Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolff View Post
Last updated Mar 4 2020

UPDATE: Per the moderator of this forum, this POST will be kept updated with the most recent information based on member experiences. You do not need to scroll through the whole thread for the newest information.
Everything written here is up to date, however, please check the last few replies for the most recent info as processing time may vary. Registration costs increase by a few dollars every now and then so check for yourself before sending out your money.
-----
I've used this method frequently for old abandoned motorcycles I bought that had no title.

Many states have hoops that they'll make you jump through before they'll designate your skoolie as an RV. "Meet four out of seven requirements" or such nonsense. New York, where I reside, is one of those states. They are a PITA with everything vehicle related, and I know many states are following in the same suit.

Vermont, on the other hand, is not one of these states. As of the date I'm writing this, all they requested from me was that I remove the school insignia and repaint the bus. They didn't require an inspection or proof of conversion. It should be noted, however, that I have a bus with hydraulic brakes -- although, under motor home classification they don't even ask about air brakes. Check with your state to see if you need anything extra to drive with air brakes.

Vermont will offer a transferrable registration for any vehicle over 15 years old. They won't give you a title -- but fear not, you can use this registration to then title your bus in your resident state if it's really that big of an issue. Realistically, it shouldn't be. I have been using out of state plates in NY for years without issue. If your bus is newer than 15 years you will receive a bonafide Vermont title.

- First and foremost, for transferable registrations (<15yrs), make sure you include a copy of your title. If you are expecting to receive a title (>15yrs) be sure to include your ORIGINAL title. If your bus has no title, make sure you have a bill of sale and a vin verification, verifying it's not stolen. As of now (01/01/17), it seems that a vin verification is only necessary if you have no ownership papers.

Vermont's application is named VD119. It is the appplication used for title, registration, renewal, transfer, tax, et cetera. Listed below are the steps I used to complete the form:

- Fill out Section 1 with your basic personal information.

- You can skip Sections 2 and 3A. To be safe, I completed 3B with the sellers info.

- Under Section 4, check "new registration". Skip the bit about plate # and expiration, as this is a new registration. When it asks for your registration/plate type, manually write in "Motor Home" followed by 19. I believe this is the code they use in the system to designate personal use.

- Fill out Section 5 with the relevant info from your title. If you do not have a title, fill it out as best you can. Beneath that, just to be safe, I listed the amount of axles, empty weight, and gross weight of my bus under "trucks".

- Under Section 6, write in the price you purchased the bus for. Vermont uses the purchase value -- or the listed NADA value -- whichever is greater, to calculate sales tax. Most buses are not listed in NADA. In this case, simply use 6 percent of what you paid for the bus. In my case, 2550 x .06(%) = $153. Write your total under "Net Taxable". Vermont will not accept 6% of ANYTHING less than $500 total. If you you were "gifted" the bus, calculate 6% of $500, but be warned that in my experience you'll likely receive your check back with a note to use NADA value instead.

- Leave Section 7 blank unless you are tax exempt or purchasing a vehicle over 25 yrs old. I do not know how that works if your vehicle is older.

Add up your fees in Section 9 and figure out the total. For most of us, this should just be the registration fee for a Motor Home (As of now, $76 for one year or $140 for two years) and the tax calculated previously in Section 6.

If, however, your bus is newer than 15 years, and you are expecting a title back, include an extra $35 title fee. Check should be issued to "Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles" for the total combined amount. For added comfort, add an ADDITIONAL handwritten page outlining what you would like to accomplish and itemizing the fees you are paying.

So just to be repetitive:

Transferable registrations: Buses 15 years or older, include COPY of title + bill of sale + completed application + registration fee ($76/1yr or $140/2yrs) + 6% VT tax (or proof that tax has already been paid) + handwritten note itemizing your costs

Titles: Buses newer than 15 years old, include ORIGINAL title + bill of sale + completed application + registration fee ($76 or $140) + title fee ($35) + 6% VT tax (or proof it's paid) + handwritten note itemizing your costs

**If you do not have a transferable registration or title from the previous owner, include a vin verification.**

Sign your application at the bottom and mail all that stuff in to the Vermont DMV at:

Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles
120 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05603-0001

Wait 2 weeks and call to check the status of your application. If there are no problems turnaround is generally 2-3 weeks.

As of 10/29/18, turnaround time is between 3-4 weeks. Registration generally takes the full month. Please plan accordingly.

Your bus is now legally registered as an RV regardless of your geographic location and the title or transferable registration that was issued will make it possible to retitle your bus in your home state with (hopefully) no issues, should you so choose. For most of us full timers it doesn't really matter as we're all over the place geographically.

**A NOTE ON THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TITLE AND TRANSFERABLE REGISTRATION**

As far as you should be concerned, there is none. Both designate ownership. If you look on the back of a transferable registration you will see a place to sign over your slip to another person in the event of a sale. Hence the added "transferable". Just like a title. A regular registration does not designate ownership. Only the title designates ownership. That is the difference. Depending on the age of the vehicle, and in some cases a few other stipulations, many states will not issue an original title. It does not matter. They are effectively the SAME thing. Please do not get confused by this or add fire to the discussion with anecdotal hypotheticals as every state will honor a transferable registration. One more time, when transferring to another state you will either receive a TITLE or a TRANSFERABLE REGISTRATION. Each state has a different policy and it does not matter which you receive back. A transferable registration is just as good as a title in every way.

Hope this helps everyone else struggling in the more difficult states. Leave a comment and tell me about your experiences.

Examples:

So is the loaded weight the gvwr and the empty weight is if i were to take my bus to a scale and weigh it?
Cole_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 05:41 PM   #1494

Thank you!!
Old 07-21-2020, 06:12 PM   #1495
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Jones View Post
So is the loaded weight the gvwr and the empty weight is if i were to take my bus to a scale and weigh it?
I filled out absolutely nothing in the "Trucks" section of the application. Keep this (section 7) completely blank.
Old 07-21-2020, 09:42 PM   #1496

Really, on the instructions it says to put a few things. Why is that?
Old 07-22-2020, 06:52 AM   #1497
Bus Geek

Quote:
Really, on the instructions it says to put a few things. Why is that?
The very first post in this thread is kept updated with the latest instructions. It says to leave section 7 blank (unless your vehicle is over 25 years old).
Old 07-22-2020, 10:23 AM   #1498

My bus is a 91 that’s over 25 years old.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:41 AM   #1499
Bus Geek

Quote:
My bus is a 91 that’s over 25 years old.
TBH I don't know why the first post mentions the 25 year age thing. That seems to be only relevant to a Vermont resident seeking an exempt title for a vehicle that old.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:41 PM   #1500

Year: 2004
Chassis: Frieghtliner
Engine: CAT 3126
Rated Cap: 44
My wife always says I can't follow directions. To prove her wrong, I read all 75 pages of this thread, then I printed a screen shot of warewolff's original form, all ready filled out, and mailed it with some cash and a note sating, "keep the change."

But seriously glad I found this site. I hoping this works because I dread interaction with any agency here in California. Thanks to everyone for sharing their success and\or failure.
J Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote