Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2020, 10:37 PM   #1501
Bus Geek

Everything you need should be at the beginning, no need to read the rest, thr OP has kept it updated

john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 05:04 PM   #1502

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Frieghtliner
Engine: CAT 3126
Rated Cap: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Everything you need should be at the beginning, no need to read the rest, thr OP has kept it updated
This is the most helpful thread I've found here. That's saying a lot since there's a ton of great info on here. I was being mildly sarcastic when I said I read all 75 pages, and also when I said that I took a screen shot warewolff's completely filled out form and sent it in. (But I really did send cash...) Thanks again to everyone who has contributed to the knowledge here!
J Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 03:16 PM   #1503

VT Plates

Hello there im wondering if I could get a bit of help with my new registration in VT. I don’t want to make any unnecessary mistakes.. does anyone know if I’d need to send in a pic my ID along with the title? (Titles in my name already). Idk if I should send money with the tax amount too or not. Am I supposed to send in anything else other than the title, the VT paperwork and my payment? Also how do I opt to get 2years instead of 1year? The spot on the VT paper work is in Red indicating I shouldn’t check the boxes there.?? 🤦🏽*♀️
RefugeBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 02:20 PM   #1504

I bought my bus from a government auction, they told me because it was bought from the government I don't have to pay tax when registering.. I don't want to count on this and it not go through. Does anyone have any experience with this?

How important is the section for axles and weight, how would I find that information?
ell_oh_ell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 02:23 PM   #1505

It seems like I only got plates...

I know plates come first, but I've been waiting almost a week now for the registration stickers. Is it possible that I goofed somehow and this is all they're sending?
DoubleDeckerStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 02:56 PM   #1506

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3000SE
Engine: T444E International
Rated Cap: 77
I bought mine from an online auction and paid no tax. In Maine the tax gets paid when the vehicle is registered. I also did not register the bus before driving it home. I was told it was okay to drive it home as long as I had the title and bill of sale then register it when I get it home. I live in the same state where I bought it, though.
maine4freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:02 AM   #1507
Almost There

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GM CV 6600 I think lol
Engine: 3126 A Caterpillar AT2400
Rated Cap: 54 ps
call them they're very friendly and go the next mile to assist you. I followed the example (sample of form)on this thread and had no problems. whatever money (MO/check) you pay and not required will be sent back to you.
lemmeskoolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 12:34 PM   #1508
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolff View Post
Last updated Mar 4 2020

Transferable registrations: Buses 15 years or older, include COPY of title + bill of sale + completed application + registration fee ($76/1yr or $140/2yrs) + 6% VT tax (or proof that tax has already been paid) + handwritten note itemizing your costs

Titles: Buses newer than 15 years old, include ORIGINAL title + bill of sale + completed application + registration fee ($76 or $140) + title fee ($35) + 6% VT tax (or proof it's paid) + handwritten note itemizing your costs
*Sigh*

I'm about to buy a 2005

Anybody good at math?
JacobFerguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 04:07 PM   #1509
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Just renewed mine by mail, opted for the 2 year at $224. Paid it a month late with no issues or penalty. Vermont is just happy to have the revenue. Didn't realize I had my bus fully insured for the year that it didn't move. I deleted the full coverage a month before it expired and State Farm reimbursed the difference I over paid for the year, go figure, I'm not complaining. Took the full coverage off the bus and added it to the Miata with no change in total rate for the year.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:35 PM   #1510

Titled as “yy”

Just got my Vermont title and under body type it is listed as “yy” I stead of “mh” as what I applied for. I couldn’t find any information on what a YY is classified as and was wondering if this was an error?
Hadrians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 05:26 PM   #1511
Bus Geek

call or email 'em, they don't bite
Old 08-17-2020, 05:54 PM   #1512
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
They list my 99 International Genesis as MAKE Intl., MODEL TK, YEAR 99, BODY MH
Old 08-18-2020, 07:25 AM   #1513
Mini-Skoolie

Has anyone heard of "use tax"?

We recently got all our paperwork and check sent back to us. They said we provided proof that we paid our taxes else where but did not provide use tax. I have not seen this in other posts. It looks like they recalculated it and somehow our fees are over $300.

I have to call them but this seems weird.
Mr. Goodkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 04:28 AM   #1514
Bus Geek

Basically same as Sales Tax, kind of a property tax, assessed when there is little basis for the former.

"Purchase and **Use Tax** is due at the time of registration and/or title at the rate of 6% of the purchase price or the N.A.D.A. value, whichever is higher; minus the value of any trade-in*vehicle*or any other allowable credit."
Old 08-19-2020, 08:59 AM   #1515
Mini-Skoolie

Engine: 7.6L Navistar DT466e Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDeckerStudios View Post
I know plates come first, but I've been waiting almost a week now for the registration stickers. Is it possible that I goofed somehow and this is all they're sending?
my sticker was in with the plate and registration paper came with it.
FrugalFannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 01:57 PM   #1516

Not clear how to fill out the form. How do they know I want to register for 1 year or 2 years? Red section at top seems to be for them(Vermont DMV) to fill out. It's unclear what OP wrote in section 9 as the hand writing is not legible. Do I check the part in red at top myself? The registration is still $70 for 1 year and $140 for 2?

Want to get this right before I mail it off, and there is no way to submit this online?
DMike414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 02:20 PM   #1517

Start here, just after the 6th or 7th paragraph.

- Fill out Section 1 with your basic personal information.

The directions are pretty clear, just read the OP carefully, he gives specific instructions for each step.

Don't put anything in the red area at the top.
Old 08-21-2020, 03:36 PM   #1518

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Wesley View Post
Start here, just after the 6th or 7th paragraph.

- Fill out Section 1 with your basic personal information.

The directions are pretty clear, just read the OP carefully, he gives specific instructions for each step.

Don't put anything in the red area at the top.

I have the whole form filled out besides section 9. What do I write on line 1 of section 9? Just $140?
Old 08-21-2020, 05:31 PM   #1519

Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolff View Post
Last updated Mar 4 2020

For added comfort, add an ADDITIONAL handwritten page outlining what you would like to accomplish and itemizing the fees you are paying.

Not clear what is meant by this. I bought my truck already converted. I installed a wooden floor but I got it for free from craigslist. What I'm trying to accomplish is get plates for my truck because it costs $500 for a year in my state and I can get it registered for 2 years as an RV for $360. I'm trying to save over $600.

Anyone get plates back without writing a handwritten note outlining something?
Old 08-24-2020, 02:16 PM   #1520

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMike414 View Post
Not clear what is meant by this. I bought my truck already converted. I installed a wooden floor but I got it for free from craigslist. What I'm trying to accomplish is get plates for my truck because it costs $500 for a year in my state and I can get it registered for 2 years as an RV for $360. I'm trying to save over $600.

Anyone get plates back without writing a handwritten note outlining something?
Do you already have a title for this vehicle? If you do, there's no need to pay tax, so yes, $140 for a two year registration is all you would need to send.

If you don't already have a title for this vehicle, Vermont will want you to pay 6% of the purchase price, or prove that you already paid sales tax to someone else.

The handwritten note is a suggestion. My note was a simple two sentence note. It said, "I have enclosed $140 for a two year registration, plus $180 for tax ($3000 purchase price x 6%.) Please see the enclosed Bill of Sale."

I folded up the note and wrapped it around the check I sent.