Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2017, 06:15 PM   #261
Mini-Skoolie

A side note to anyone considering a trip from NYC to Vermont to do this in person: Do not attempt to make a connection from the NYC-Boston Megabus to the Boston-Montpelier/Burlington Megabus. Even though there's supposed to be a 45 minute gap, they apparently aren't accounting for routine morning traffic, and they won't give you a refund or honor your ticket for the next day's bus when you miss the connection. I'd recommend taking the earlier Greyhound to Boston and using Megabus just for the second leg, or just plan on spending a day in Boston.

cromulence police is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:12 PM   #262

Dutchie looking for answers.

Oh wow what a thread! I'm quite new here and bought my Skoolie last week in New Hampsire. Painted it and went do the DMV (Vermont) to get the new plates to skip the 2-3 weeks of waiting. All&all instructed by this thread .

Which is where troubles start:

Some misc. information: I'm a foreigner (EU > Dutch) but have friends in Washington, DC who let me use their address for whatever purpose.

All good and well, Until the guy behind the counter at the DMV told me I had to get an inspection within 15 days to get a sticker, otherwise I'd be in trouble. I've been reading that 'I could skip the inspection' in this thread, but there are a fair share of warnings everywhere (even on the package of my plates) that I SHOULD do the inspection.

I figured to go ahead and get it, until at the inspection, they required a proof of insurance. I figured to go get an insurance. But none of the insurance companies can/want to insure me because i'm not a Vermont Resident?

Should I get my insurance in DC? Are there Vermont insurance companies where i could get an insurance from regardless me being out-of-state resident?

I'm pretty puzzled and reaching out to all of you.

Tldr: Got the Vermont Plates, DO I or DO I NOT need the sticker? I wont be staying in Vermont if not necessary.
Insurance is a thing I want regardless of the sticker. How did you insure your Vermont MH while not being a Vermont Resident?
Havock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:58 PM   #263
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havock View Post
Oh wow what a thread! I'm quite new here and bought my Skoolie last week in New Hampsire. Painted it and went do the DMV (Vermont) to get the new plates to skip the 2-3 weeks of waiting. All&all instructed by this thread .

Which is where troubles start:

Some misc. information: I'm a foreigner (EU > Dutch) but have friends in Washington, DC who let me use their address for whatever purpose.

All good and well, Until the guy behind the counter at the DMV told me I had to get an inspection within 15 days to get a sticker, otherwise I'd be in trouble. I've been reading that 'I could skip the inspection' in this thread, but there are a fair share of warnings everywhere (even on the package of my plates) that I SHOULD do the inspection.

I figured to go ahead and get it, until at the inspection, they required a proof of insurance. I figured to go get an insurance. But none of the insurance companies can/want to insure me because i'm not a Vermont Resident?

Should I get my insurance in DC? Are there Vermont insurance companies where i could get an insurance from regardless me being out-of-state resident?

I'm pretty puzzled and reaching out to all of you.

Tldr: Got the Vermont Plates, DO I or DO I NOT need the sticker? I wont be staying in Vermont if not necessary.
Insurance is a thing I want regardless of the sticker. How did you insure your Vermont MH while not being a Vermont Resident?
Somebody please correct me if I don't have this just right:

Vermont has an inspection requirement & inspection sticker. You can drive your Vermont registered RV in any state EXCEPT Vermont without that sticker. Get caught in Vermont driving without that sticker and you may have trouble.

Vermont, at times, will issue plates but not registration stickers if the decide that you need a "VIN Verification". You can have local LEO inspect the VIN & sign off on it. Then you send your VIN Verification form to VT and they send you your tags.

So, The VIN Verification is different than the safety inspection. It is unlikely that you will be asked for proof of insurance for the VIN Verification.

If they are asking for the safety inspection and you have no intention of driving IN VT then don't sweat it.

If they are asking for VIN Verification then see if someone can come to the bus location and do that for you.

Clear as mud???
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:15 PM   #264

Year: 2003
Chassis: 3800
Engine: T444E
Hey Havock im also a DC resident and dread that as a skoolie owner as dealing with DC DMV is like fighting a brick wall. I live in Chicago for now and have sent my Vermont app. to reg my 2003 international exactly 15 days ago. I have just 10 minutes ago received my app back due to the fact I did not send VIN verification. So I will try again. Can anyone advise me how to get a VIN verification as my build sits in a great truck yard in Gary IN.

P.S. This truck yard in Gary is probably the greatest place to store and build so thank GOD im in no big hurry to do anything.
Keeno777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:05 PM   #265
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeno777 View Post
Hey Havock im also a DC resident and dread that as a skoolie owner as dealing with DC DMV is like fighting a brick wall. I live in Chicago for now and have sent my Vermont app. to reg my 2003 international exactly 15 days ago. I have just 10 minutes ago received my app back due to the fact I did not send VIN verification. So I will try again. Can anyone advise me how to get a VIN verification as my build sits in a great truck yard in Gary IN.

P.S. This truck yard in Gary is probably the greatest place to store and build so thank GOD im in no big hurry to do anything.
Need to talk to the local or state police and they do the VIN verification.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:41 PM   #266
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Hey Havock im also a DC resident and dread that as a skoolie owner as dealing with DC DMV is like fighting a brick wall.
Holy Moly! I feel for you; I really do. DC bureaucracy is the WORST! It's not all their fault; Congress treats them like a really amoral plantation owner treats his field slaves. But, Hell! I paid a parking ticket in DC 3 TIMES once until I got them to stop blocking my MD registration. That was in the early 90s, and at that time the whole of the DC gummint still had rotary dial phones on their desks.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:03 PM   #267

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njsurf73 View Post
Need to talk to the local or state police and they do the VIN verification.

Hi Njsurf73,

I am very intereste in this, as I am planing to buy a bus in a auction in Texas, and I am a Spanish living in Mexico. If I could manage to get the bus registered before flying to pick the bus it would be perfect. But I didnt konw about the VIN verification thing. Do you think there could be a way arrange remotely to get the VIN verified in the place it is park? Is it arranged with the police?

Any advise is appreciated as all this paperworks are unknown to me.

Thanks
Peras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:02 PM   #268
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peras View Post
Hi Njsurf73,

I am very intereste in this, as I am planing to buy a bus in a auction in Texas, and I am a Spanish living in Mexico. If I could manage to get the bus registered before flying to pick the bus it would be perfect. But I didnt konw about the VIN verification thing. Do you think there could be a way arrange remotely to get the VIN verified in the place it is park? Is it arranged with the police?

Thanks
I don't know.

Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:41 PM   #269
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peras View Post
Hi Njsurf73,

Thanks
The big question is, what are you going to do with it in Mexico? Legally getting it in Texas is only part of the battle, you still have to cross the border with it, and keep it in Mexico? Not sure about anybody else here, but I would not want to take a heavily modified vehicle back and forth across the US border, that is just begging for them to start tearing apart wall panels and any other modifications during a search. If you're really interested and just getting a bus in Mexico for use as a bus, just tell me, and I know somebody who specializes in that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 07-25-2017, 06:48 PM   #270

Wow, painless. So I didn't expect it to be so easy but it was. Went to Gary Ind. police dept. and they had me pay $5 for vin verification. They told me to go to vehicle and call in. Within 10 min. of waiting officer showed up did verification and filled out Vermont form. My registered residence is in DC, title from Mich. garaged in Gary, Chicago mailing address registering in Vermont. I just couldn't see that one. Thanks Gary PD. very efficient.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:59 PM   #271
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Gary PD were probably just happy you weren't there to report a murder.
Lived up that way briefly in the 80's when it was the murder capital. Man what a scary place for an 8 year old kid from Sumter County Fl.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:31 PM   #272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlies.Contingency View Post
The big question is, what are you going to do with it in Mexico? Legally getting it in Texas is only part of the battle, you still have to cross the border with it, and keep it in Mexico? Not sure about anybody else here, but I would not want to take a heavily modified vehicle back and forth across the US border, that is just begging for them to start tearing apart wall panels and any other modifications during a search. If you're really interested and just getting a bus in Mexico for use as a bus, just tell me, and I know somebody who specializes in that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Entering in Mexico as a RV is easy. There is a 10 years temporary permit for non-mexicans visitors. I am not planing to go back to USA with it, so , even though crossing north could be a pain, I donīt think it would be much trouble to cross south.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:01 PM   #273
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Wow, painless. So I didn't expect it to be so easy but it was. Went to Gary Ind. police dept. and they had me pay $5 for vin verification. They told me to go to vehicle and call in. Within 10 min. of waiting officer showed up did verification and filled out Vermont form. My registered residence is in DC, title from Mich. garaged in Gary, Chicago mailing address registering in Vermont. I just couldn't see that one. Thanks Gary PD. very efficient.
If I have a signed and notarized title, also a bill of sale, will I still need a VIN verification to register in Vermont? 1994 ford B700

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
KnottyDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:11 PM   #274

Quote:
Hey Keeno,

Keep us posted about how long it takes for you to get the plates. Now itīs official that I am going through the same path as I just bought my bus in an auction right now
Old 07-25-2017, 11:17 PM   #275

If you bought by private dealer. You need vin verify. If you have Vermont title you don't need verification.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:27 PM   #276

Quote:
If you bought by private dealer. You need vin verify. If you have Vermont title you don't need verification.
I bought it from govdeals in texas. I guess I will need my VIN verified.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:54 AM   #277

In 10 days I am goint to vermont to do the paperwork in person. Iīll post how it goes.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:25 PM   #278
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Goshen Freightliner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Received my Vermont green plates last week. Today I received the registration with sticker. Only problem they have it listed as BU instead of MH... calling tomorrow to see if there's anything I can do to resolve this. I listed MH, my bus is 18yrs old and we paid for two years. We were really excited to get the plates, but to see BU is a disappointment.
RayAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:46 AM   #279

Plates

I received my Vermont plates and application in the mail. How long does it typically take to get the registration and title? My bus is less than 15 years old so I should be getting a new title that says MH. The application said 19 at the top so I am hoping that is what the title will say.

Also, do i need to get the inspection done within 15 days if I do not plan on traveling to Vermont?

I do not think I will have insurance by then because I am going to try to use GMAC because they have a bus conversion policy and only require pictures of 4 things (sleeping quarters, kitchen, bathroom, and the four sides of the bus painted) Has anyone completed this process through GMAC? Still trying to figure out the bathroom set up.

Thanks!
kara0328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 12:11 PM   #280
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Goshen Freightliner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Alright, it regards to my post above. We called the Vermont DMV today and explained that we listed MH and they sent the Registration showing BU. Talked about the conversion and no other were questions asked. They are going to send a corrected registration showing body type MH. Awesome! So if anyone else also receives a BU registration back simply make a call and someone will fix you up.
RayAllen is offline   Reply With Quote