Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2019, 02:17 PM   #861
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb1415 View Post
I've registered two bus conversions in CA. You don't have to do much to get it registered as an RV. Here's what I did for my second bus:
* I bought a camping toilet (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004RNOV9M)
* Put in a pull-out couch in the back and dressed it up as a bed
* Threw a coleman camping grill in there, and went to the DMV.

The inspector came and said "this isn't an RV, you need a sink and shower and stuff". I tried to argue that it didn't say this on any of the registration forms, and went up to her manager, but no luck. They couldn't produce any material that said this, but they weren't willing to budge.

So, I then put in just a tiny bit more effort
* Drilled in some hilariously simple boxes around the toilet and grill (https://photos.app.goo.gl/7yr7yvkWiCJwMHgF6)
* Got a sink from a scrap yard
* Attached a camping shower as a sink head (https://smile.amazon.com/Nemo-Portab.../dp/B075Y2XCRN)

I went back to the DMV the next day (a different DMV since I'd exhausted my karma at the first one), and they approved it!

The DMV agent will need to fill out Reg 31:
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/co...=AJPERES&CVID=

They may also need to fill out Reg 256a:
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/co...dcef5a-mf-TiM1

For my second visit, I printed both of these out and pre-filled some details, to add some legitimacy.

Now back to work on actually building out the vehicle! But I needed to get it registered early before having the time to do the build out.
There may be exceptions in some states I am not aware of, but the requirements for converting to an RV is pretty much the same in every state. The list below shows what they want in an RV, but only require 4 of the 6 requirements be met, your choice of which 4.

Cooking appliance with onboard fuel source
Gas or electric fridge
Toilet with exterior evac
Heat/AC with power other than engine
Potable (drinkable) water supply
110v power supply

o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:13 PM   #862
Mini-Skoolie

Just checked my P.O. box, they sent back my entire application with corrections- apparently they tax based on N.A.D.A. Value if it’s greater than your purchase price. My bill of sale says I purchased for $2,000, but N.A.D.A value is $6,850. So back to square one and re-shipping out tomorrow to try again.
Happycamperhealing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:28 PM   #863
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycamperhealing View Post
Just checked my P.O. box, they sent back my entire application with corrections- apparently they tax based on N.A.D.A. Value if it’s greater than your purchase price. My bill of sale says I purchased for $2,000, but N.A.D.A value is $6,850. So back to square one and re-shipping out tomorrow to try again.
I got my application returned also, but because I didn't put anything in section 3B (the name and address of who you bought it from and the date of purchase). The person who returned it had already circled and OK'ed the tax amount I had calculated based on the sale price.

I really wonder what the difference is here. What kind of bus do you have? Maybe your bus is listed in N.A.D.A for some reason while mine is not.
musigenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:31 PM   #864
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
I got my application returned also, but because I didn't put anything in section 3B (the name and address of who you bought it from and the date of purchase). The person who returned it had already circled and OK'ed the tax amount I had calculated based on the sale price.

I really wonder what the difference is here. What kind of bus do you have? Maybe your bus is listed in N.A.D.A for some reason while mine is not.
That’s good that it’s only a small correction! We had all kinds of marks on ours. Nothing to say about ‘MH’ opposed to ‘BU’ though! That’s the hardest part! Are you refilling out a form correctly and sending it back, or just returning the same form with corrections they made?

I have a 2007 Ford E450 Shuttle bus, they sent back a paper from N.A.D.A with everything classifying my vehicle as a ‘2007 Ford Commercial E450 Cube van 12ft’ based on the VIN.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:40 PM   #865
Bus Geek

Yah deLuxe wheels those rarely go for so cheap
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:51 AM   #866
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 95
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Bluebird
Any indication that DMV is refusing out of state mail? I sent my title and application etc off two weeks ago certified mail and it's been sitting at the post office. As best a we can tell "delivery failed" and will be returned to me next month. Haven't been able to get the Vermont DMV on the phone.
elliot_peas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 12:30 PM   #867
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliot_peas View Post
Any indication that DMV is refusing out of state mail? I sent my title and application etc off two weeks ago certified mail and it's been sitting at the post office. As best a we can tell "delivery failed" and will be returned to me next month. Haven't been able to get the Vermont DMV on the phone.
First time around I didn’t send enough money, so I adjusted the money order and I sent my envelope off with 2 day UPS- it was delivered Tuesday morning the 7th. Shipped all the way from California, going to call them on Monday to check the status of the registration. Hopefully it’s just something with the post office on your end or maybe a mis-send? Sending you some positive energy, please update us on what happens!
Old 05-11-2019, 01:39 PM   #868

How I filled it all out.

I filled out my paperwork as best I could based on this thread and all of the information within it.

My application packet consisted of the Vermont Registration Application (both pages filled out), a copy of the Bill of Sale, a copy of the notarized AZ title, a handwritten letter confirming that I have converted the bus to a motor-home (not completely but enough for Vermont), and the check.

I sent this in on 4/11/19, it was delivered 4/17/19, my check was cashed 4/30/19, and I received my plates on 5/3/19. I am still waiting for the stickers....

There were notes on my application but I guess they were small things. Namely Section 5 should have been body type MH rather than BS, and color should have entered something besides Yellow, probably purple as that is the color I am gradually painting it.

It is worth noting that the Section between 5 and 6 labeled "Trucks" should stay blank. Motor Homes do not fall into this category and thus do not need the weight, axles, air brakes, etc. filled out. That is the main point in registering as a motor home, to get away from the commercial vehicle requirements so that we do not need to have a CDL to legally drive our non-commercial use vehicles while we finish making the necessary changes as required by our home states. At least that is the case for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Redacted Registration Application.jpg   Redacted Conversion Letter.jpg  
Zak of all Trades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 02:13 PM   #869
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 95
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Bluebird
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycamperhealing View Post
First time around I didn’t send enough money, so I adjusted the money order and I sent my envelope off with 2 day UPS- it was delivered Tuesday morning the 7th. Shipped all the way from California, going to call them on Monday to check the status of the registration. Hopefully it’s just something with the post office on your end or maybe a mis-send? Sending you some positive energy, please update us on what happens!

Thanks! USPS attempted to deliver, the DMV didn't take it. USPS left them a notice to pick it up, and they haven't. Planning to call all day Monday... But the post office only holds for 15 days and then sends it back to me (which will take another two weeks).
elliot_peas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 03:05 PM   #870
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliot_peas View Post
Thanks! USPS attempted to deliver, the DMV didn't take it. USPS left them a notice to pick it up, and they haven't. Planning to call all day Monday... But the post office only holds for 15 days and then sends it back to me (which will take another two weeks).
You might have to write, but may get away with calling the PO branch holding your packet to attempt redelivery. Your name & the tracking number should be enough...
Old 05-11-2019, 04:15 PM   #871

Coachwork: International
Engine: DT466E
Thanks for the great info! Here is my only question: My bus is older than 15 years so you said I would not get a title from Vermont, only the transferable registration and Vermont plates. I'm good with that. In the event I would choose to sell the bus, how would I do that with no title? Maybe I'm overthinking this. Thanks!

Steve Young
syoungsgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:27 PM   #872
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by syoungsgt View Post
Thanks for the great info! Here is my only question: My bus is older than 15 years so you said I would not get a title from Vermont, only the transferable registration and Vermont plates. I'm good with that. In the event I would choose to sell the bus, how would I do that with no title? Maybe I'm overthinking this. Thanks!

Steve Young
Check with your local licencing authority.

I called DOL here in WA and asked. They had no problem issuing a WA title from a VT transferable registration.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 10:14 PM   #873
Bus Geek

Does that need to be when you're ready to sell?

Or can you get title from another local DMV while using it under VT registration?
Old 05-12-2019, 09:59 AM   #874
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
If you title and register in Vermont then you can, at a later date, take the VT paperwork to your local licencing office and get it titled and registered in your home state.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:30 PM   #875
Bus Geek

The immediate scenario is, older than 15 years, so VT refuses to title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
can you get title from another local DMV, while still using it under VT registration?
Old 05-12-2019, 01:10 PM   #876
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
The immediate scenario is, older than 15 years, so VT refuses to title.
Do they refuse to title when you present your valid title from another state at time of processing, or do they not issues titles being registered with a bill of sale only?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:03 PM   #877

Year: TBD
No, I spoke with VT DMV, asking if I can still reside in Massachusetts, even using my Mass address - she blankly said they don't care where you live, you can register it in Vermont. Know that you must have it inspected in Vermont I believe it's within 10 days of registration. Also, their procedure requires a VIN verification form, whether OR NOT one has a title/bill of sale. Their website is highly informative with links to all their forms.
sswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 04:37 PM   #878
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Do they refuse to title when you present your valid title from another state at time of processing, or do they not issues titles being registered with a bill of sale only?
Titling is simply not an option when over 15 years old.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:37 PM   #879
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswanson View Post
you must have it inspected in Vermont I believe it's within 10 days of registration.
In practice, only if you plan on ever bringing it to Vermont.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:27 PM   #880
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Quote:
In practice, only if you plan on ever bringing it to Vermont.
That is what I believe, however has anyone verified this to be true? I am coming up on one year for having Vermont tags and have not yet received a renewal notice, and was wondering if inspection is tied to registration or not. In other words if not inspected are tags not renewed till inspected?

Here in Virginia they are tied to each other.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote