Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2019, 04:08 PM   #981
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by haz.matt.1960 View Post
Sounds to me, if you send the note you described, they'll drop you faster than the force G typically pulls!
Maybe say that a friend let you drive their MH, while vacationing..?
Be helpful to have a friend willing to support the fib.
I'm not planning on any fibbing. The document submission is an online automation thing, so maybe I'll just scan a blank piece of paper and see if the system will accept that.

Old 06-05-2019, 04:19 PM   #982
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisenedLily View Post
Ronnie, yes that was the confusion I had. I clearly can't insure it as a motor home until I register it as a motor home in VT. That is where I was lost. But it appears as though I can send this all in to VT with no proof of insurance so I will do that and then when everything comes in from VT I will insure it as a motor home.
You can not insure it as a motor home until it is one. Your insurance will want to see a completed conversion before insuring as a MH, no matter what your title says it is.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 04:22 PM   #983
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
After 4 months, I have finally gotten:

* My new title
* My new VT registration and tags
* My insurance

Except of course there is a new wrinkle: Allstate is requiring me to provide proof of prior motor home ownership. But I have never owned one previously and never claimed to have owned one. My agent has no idea where this came from or what I can do about it, and it's already past due.

Anyone run into this with Allstate motor home insurance before? One of the proof options is "Letter of experience" - can I send a letter that says "yep, never owned a motor home before"?
When I insured the TC2000 through Allstate in Ga. they never asked me anything like that.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:24 PM   #984
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
You can not insure it as a motor home until it is one. Your insurance will want to see a completed conversion before insuring as a MH, no matter what your title says it is.
I got motor home insurance from Allstate (although it's liability-only) and they did not ask to see a completed conversion, which is fortunate since it ain't completed yet.

I accept that it's probably going to be taken away from me at a moment's notice, though.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:31 PM   #985
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
I got motor home insurance from Allstate (although it's liability-only) and they did not ask to see a completed conversion, which is fortunate since it ain't completed yet.

I accept that it's probably going to be taken away from me at a moment's notice, though.
You'll find out when you need to file a claim. Another reason I hate insurance companies. They will gladly take your money for something they will absolutely not cover and then tell you pound sand when you request a refund of your useless policy.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:58 PM   #986
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by haz.matt.1960 View Post
Sounds to me, if you send the note you described, they'll drop you faster than the force G typically pulls!
Or maybe they just quote discounted rates for those with more experience & a low claim rate.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 02:07 PM   #987

Hey guys, new to the forum and excited to build my schoolie! I just picked up a tc2000 bluebird with a 12v cummins.
I followed the details stated in the beginning of this thread, sent in all the paperwork and payment. Unfortunately, they sent the documents and payment back with an attached statement saying they need proof of it is a motorhome. Has anyone else gotten this, what is the best way to go about this?
I am in Los Angeles area if you have pointers on what entity I should deal with to get proof. Thanks in advance, I apologize if this has already been covered.
Chrisbrixp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 02:07 PM   #988
Bus Geek

Finally got through to DMV in Vt. They said I don't need a VIN verification on a model this old. I meant to, but didn't, ask what years needed them. Registration was $76 + 6% sales tax, and $48 for the vanity tag. Total was $244.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:37 PM   #989
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Finally got through to DMV in Vt. They said I don't need a VIN verification on a model this old. I meant to, but didn't, ask what years needed them. Registration was $76 + 6% sales tax, and $48 for the vanity tag. Total was $244.
I'm glad I didn't know Vermont does vanity. God knows what would be written on the back of my bus right now If I had.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:39 PM   #990
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisbrixp View Post
Hey guys, new to the forum and excited to build my schoolie! I just picked up a tc2000 bluebird with a 12v cummins.
I followed the details stated in the beginning of this thread, sent in all the paperwork and payment. Unfortunately, they sent the documents and payment back with an attached statement saying they need proof of it is a motorhome. Has anyone else gotten this, what is the best way to go about this?
I am in Los Angeles area if you have pointers on what entity I should deal with to get proof. Thanks in advance, I apologize if this has already been covered.
You sent the paperwork to Vermont? If you filled out any part of the section of the form that covers trucks, that may be your issue.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:42 PM   #991

Yeah. I sent the paperwork to Vermont dmv. I'll get a picture if the return documents when I get back home. I dont believe I filled out that info, but I could be mistaken.
Chrisbrixp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 05:38 PM   #992
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Leave us hope a quote of whatever pedigree is proffered...
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Or maybe they just quote discounted rates for those with more experience & a low claim rate.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:05 PM   #993
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousawrenee View Post
I finally received my VT plates, and included in what was sent to me was a copy of the form I sent in with edits made to it. Is this considered my registration? I want to re-register my bus as a motor home in California, but I don't have "official" documentation besides the copy of that form. I also don't think I'll be able to register it without insurance, as I don't currently have insurance. Will I be able to get an RV insurance policy (as opposed to a commercial "non-business" policy with Progressive, which is what I had before and was way too expensive for me) now that it's registered in VT as a motor home?

Help would be much appreciated!
Just for the purposes of updating/offering some helpful info...
Got my registration from VT (without asking for/receiving a title) but it did not end up helping me the way I needed it to. When I went to re-register it at the DMV in CA, I was told they:
a) need a letter from the DMV in VT saying it was never titled in VT
b) need a vehicle verification before they will give me a "new CA title" (even though the title I have currently is a CA title

My experience tells me this isn't worth doing if you're in CA
yousawrenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:29 PM   #994

Question Hope these are stupid questions... :) Help Please?

Hi there! I am working on this form now. We are located in GA and we purchased our bus this past week from a guy who purchased the bus directly from the school system it was purchased originally by. Our bus is 1997 and the title is still in the County's name, GOV tags and all.

We are first timers so this is all a little confusing and ANY advice is very appreciated, of course!

As for the application...
Stupid question #1 -- We assume given that this is the application for a transferable registration, it is OK that I provide an out of state home address on the application? This will not raise any red flags? Like I said, I am assuming not but I want to be sure. We are so nervous to mess something up when it comes to registration!

Next, where it asks for your Vermont license # in Section 1, should we provide our GA license #'s or leave it blank?

Also, my boyfriend and I are both listed on the bill of sale, but we are not married. Should I provide both of our information on the application or just one?

In section 3B, should we provide the info of the guy we bought the bus from even if we cannot provide his signature on this application? Or should we leave it blank?

As for color, we have not painted the bus overall yet. The county have been painted over, and we plan to finish off the paint all over. Should we list our planned color (green) on the application? Especially, if we plan to have it completed paint wise by the time our registration returns?

Lastly, do we need to mail proof of insurance with this application as well? We are assuming we need to, but we saw no mention of it, so we were not positive.

We thank you all for the help in advance and we apologize if we asked any repetitive questions.

- H2BH Bus
Happy2BHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:38 PM   #995
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy2BHere View Post
Hi there! I am working on this form now. We are located in GA and we purchased our bus this past week from a guy who purchased the bus directly from the school system it was purchased originally by. Our bus is 1997 and the title is still in the County's name, GOV tags and all.

We are first timers so this is all a little confusing and ANY advice is very appreciated, of course!

Stupid question #1 -- We assume given that this is the application for a transferable registration, it is OK that I provide an out of state home address on the application? This will not raise any red flags? Like I said, I am assuming not but I want to be sure. We are so nervous to mess something up when it comes to registration!

Next, where it asks for your Vermont license # in Section 1, should we provide our GA license #'s or leave it blank?

Also, my boyfriend and I are both listed on the bill of sale, but we are not married. Should I provide both of our information on the application or just one?

In section 3B, should we provide the info of the guy we bought the bus from even if we cannot provide his signature on this application? Or should we leave it blank?

As for color, we have not painted the bus overall yet. The county have been painted over, and we plan to finish off the paint all over. Should we list our planned color (green) on the application? Especially, if we plan to have it completed paint wise by the time our registration returns?

Lastly, do we need to mail proof of insurance with this application as well? We are assuming we need to, but we saw no mention of it, so we were not positive.

We thank you all for the help in advance and we apologize if we asked any repetitive questions.

- H2BH Bus
I can't help you directly because I haven't experienced your problem, yet - when I wanted to find similar information for where I live, I phoned the department responsible and got straight forward accurate information - now when it comes time to register and insure my bus/skoolie, or get moving permit(s), I know in advance of what is needed, straight from the horse's mouth
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:45 PM   #996
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Quote:
Just for the purposes of updating/offering some helpful info...
Got my registration from VT (without asking for/receiving a title) but it did not end up helping me the way I needed it to. When I went to re-register it at the DMV in CA, I was told they:
b) need a vehicle verification before they will give me a "new CA title" (even though the title I have currently is a CA title

My experience tells me this isn't worth doing if you're in CA
I believe this is incorrect but I dont have the time right now to look up applicable CA laws. Give me a few days and I'll investigate for you.
warewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:50 PM   #997
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy2BHere View Post

- H2BH Bus
1. Use your home address. It is perfectly legal.
2. Do not provide your license number if out of state. Vermont does not require it.
3. Why would you have a bill of sale written to two people? Do you co-title your vehicles? If not, its overly complicating a simple issue. Put the vehicle in whatever name will get a cheaper insurance rate. You only use one name on the registration in my experience.
4. Provide as much info in 3B as you can.
5. Use the planned color.
6. No proof of insurance. Vermont doesnt require insurance on registered vehicles and you only need insurance before you plan to drive it.
warewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:54 PM   #998
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisbrixp View Post
Please post a scan of your returned paperwork so we can further help you. Nobody else has experienced this and I assume it is either an error on your part or the work of an incompetent and ignorant employee.

Edit: Sorry for the triple posting. Trying to answer questions from my phone and its difficult with multiple quotes.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:58 PM   #999

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolff View Post
1. Use your home address. It is perfectly legal.
2. Do not provide your license number if out of state. Vermont does not require it.
3. Why would you have a bill of sale written to two people? Do you co-title your vehicles? If not, its overly complicating a simple issue. Put the vehicle in whatever name will get a cheaper insurance rate. You only use one name on the registration in my experience.
4. Provide as much info in 3B as you can.
5. Use the planned color.
6. No proof of insurance. Vermont doesnt require insurance on registered vehicles and you only need insurance before you plan to drive it.
Thanks for the info! Is it best in our written outline of the packet to mention that we are in the process of converting this bus? Or should we just leave it as "we need a motorhome registration and here are the documents we provided"?

Thanks again!
- Maddie & James
Happy2BHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 03:50 PM   #1000
Bus Geek

Quote:

Yes the law can be an ass, but I think that conclusion's too pessimistic. Just try with a different office or even clerk story may change.

If you had had a VT title, NP right?

Or for older vehicles, ask for that letter from VT at the same time as the rego app, thanks for raising that.

By "vehicle verification" you mean VIN verification, as in what VT often requires anyway?

Shows the fact that registering out of state nullifies the value of the previous title, another useful data point.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote