Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2020, 06:14 PM   #1301
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Should be fine just read the thread.

99.9% of those using this method never go near the state, but you live next door.

So just know if you don't get it inspected you are illegal within Vermont.

We can’t go to Vermont with this method ?

LunarWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 09:47 PM   #1302
Bus Geek

Sure but then you need to get inspected as a completed RV, in order to be legal.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 09:23 AM   #1303
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Chassis: 3500
Engine: 6.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremiahLoui View Post
So I am in NH and I bought my bus back in 2016. At the time I registered it normally as a passenger vehicle here. It is currently registered in NH and has a new title in my name. I would like to register it as a Motorhome and know that NH can be a pain in the ass with that so I was looking into this Vermont route. I wasn’t sure if this was an option that would work for me as I did not just recently buy it and it is already registered and titled in NH. I appreciate any insight and I’m not sure exactly how that all works. Thank you!

Jeremiah
how did you register it as a personal vehicle my town woudnt let me register it ? is it on a van chassis?
MIKE N STEPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 11:23 PM   #1304
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE N STEPH View Post
how did you register it as a personal vehicle my town woudnt let me register it ? is it on a van chassis?
Every jurisdiction has different rules.

Sometimes what the clerk had for breakfast makes all the difference
Old 02-03-2020, 08:01 AM   #1305
Mini-Skoolie

Just sent my title, payment and documentation in the mail for the bus I brought home last week from Maryland. Hoping for a smooth transition to RV for my bus!

Mike in Pittsburgh
Hengy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 11:58 AM   #1306

Year: 2007
Coachwork: International
Chassis: IC RE
Engine: 7.6 L DT466e
Vermont Registration and Title Success!

We first sent our packet at the beginning of December. About four weeks later, we received the packet back with an issue regarding the original title as the seller had written their information in the wrong area and crossed it out, but I hadn't filled in my correct information in that area since the seller had completed a separate affidavit, which I included, and it was already boogered up so there was not really any place to fill it in. I wrote in the correct information (in the margins) and wrote up a letter (like y'all suggested) and four weeks later, success!
MichaelStuart74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 12:38 AM   #1307
Mini-Skoolie

This might be silly but they don’t take cash mailed in do they?
Old 02-04-2020, 11:05 AM   #1308
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunarWorm View Post
This might be silly but they don’t take cash mailed in do they?
I believe I read on their website not to do that...
(and it's never good form to mail cash...)

You must know somebody with a checking account. The check just needs to be the correct amount and write the VIN # on the check for what you're registering.

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 11:34 AM   #1309
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post
I believe I read on their website not to do that...
(and it's never good form to mail cash...)

You must know somebody with a checking account. The check just needs to be the correct amount and write the VIN # on the check for what you're registering.
How about a money order from the Post Office or Walmart?
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 11:36 AM   #1310
Bus Geek

Many free online accounts / apps will send out a check for you when needed.

Or of course just walk into any bank and they'll cut one for you for a fee.

USPS money orders are not expensive.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:59 PM   #1311
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks y’all . Hopeful this works . I got the loop story from the tag office in Paulding G.A. How I couldn’t get it registered as a rv till it was completely finished and inspected and have to have your cars even sitting insured and registered and I had to get it registered as a personal commercial tag which was over a grand .....
Old 02-11-2020, 11:18 AM   #1312

Back tags

Did you have to pay back tags when registering through Vermont? My bus hasn’t been registered since 2017.
Scphoto85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 11:49 AM   #1313
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scphoto85 View Post
Did you have to pay back tags when registering through Vermont? My bus hasn’t been registered since 2017.
I did not. I registered my bus ~4 months ago. My bus hadn't been registered since 2014 in R.I... And it came to me via a MA dealer with unrecorded time in Ohio...

Since none of the unregistered time was "Vermont time", Vt. never "lost" any funds in the deal...
Vermont has no jurisdiction or concern over other states lost revenue...

Remember -- "title jumping"; "back registration fees/fines";
These are government constructs only for the purpose of a government entity to collect more revenue...

I am gleefully happy Vt wisely chooses to accept money to circumvent all that bullsh!t... In fact, now that the dust has settled I'm going to splurge on Vt. vanity wildlife plates just to funnel them more money!

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 11:55 AM   #1314
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scphoto85 View Post
I fought that battle in California after buying a car that had been in storage for several years. DMV won..... How crazy is it to force you to pay registration on a vehicle that is not on public roads.

I have not heard anything mention in this thread about Vermont following the same practice.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 11:56 AM   #1315

Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post
I did not. I registered my bus ~4 months ago. My bus hadn't been registered since 2014 in R.I... And it came to me via a MA dealer with unrecorded time in Ohio...

Since none of the unregistered time was "Vermont time", Vt. never "lost" any funds in the deal...
Vermont has no jurisdiction or concern over other states lost revenue...

Remember -- "title jumping"; "back registration fees/fines";
These are government constructs only for the purpose of a government entity to collect more revenue...

I am gleefully happy Vt wisely chooses to accept money to circumvent all that bullsh!t... In fact, now that the dust has settled I'm going to splurge on Vt. vanity wildlife plates just to funnel them more money!

Awesome! Thank you. That makes this process a lot easier.
Scphoto85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 04:57 PM   #1316

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International S1853
Engine: DT466/Allison MT643
Cobb tag office

I just got back from the Cobb County tag office. $994 to register a 1984 International S1853 bus. They won't change it to a motorhome.
almabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:55 PM   #1317
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2012
Coachwork: Goshen
Chassis: E450
Engine: V10
Rated Cap: 1 1/2 ton
If this is Cobb County, Georgia, here's what you do. Bring a completed Certificate of Inspection (Form T-22B), signed by the sheriff to the tag office where the sheriff signs off on it being a, "house car" (there are no, "motor homes" in Georgia now because the two letter, "MH" got taken by, "mobile home".) You call the sheriff to come to you; you don't drive the bus there. You can download the form on line but the sheriff who came to do mine wanted to use a fresh copy and he filled it out. Note there are no rules in Georgia; it's completely up to the sheriff that comes over. Some of the sheriffs have never completed this. You can have them get instructions from the tag office if they need them.
GaryTheRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:31 PM   #1318

Thanks, Gary. It is Cobb County. It was a total cluster f*ck with them. I should hopefully pick the bus up this weekend and get it back to Acworth.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:02 PM   #1319
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2012
Coachwork: Goshen
Chassis: E450
Engine: V10
Rated Cap: 1 1/2 ton
Note the change in the Georgia tag computer program that happened in 2019 often doesn't have a selection for, "home car" for a specific vehicle, so they can't select what you need and often just throw their hands up instead of doing their job to get that fixed. I ended up getting my State congressman's help to get that fixed because the Bartow County tag office was far less than helpful, taking no responsibility for fixing the tag program. He had the programmer call me and solved that problem in just a few minutes.
GaryTheRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 06:53 AM   #1320

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTheRock View Post
Note the change in the Georgia tag computer program that happened in 2019 often doesn't have a selection for, "home car" for a specific vehicle, so they can't select what you need and often just throw their hands up instead of doing their job to get that fixed. I ended up getting my State congressman's help to get that fixed because the Bartow County tag office was far less than helpful, taking no responsibility for fixing the tag program. He had the programmer call me and solved that problem in just a few minutes.
Gary, we need to meet and have some Italian food and a beverage.
Send me a PM or DM or whatever they call it here and I'll give you my phone number.