Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2020, 01:56 PM   #1581

Engine: 8.3L Cummins
Rated Cap: 84 passenger (40 ft)
Hi!

What would you say to a cop if they pulled you over in your skoolie? As the reason why your bus is registered in VT / why you have VT plates?

startedonlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 01:57 PM   #1582

Engine: 8.3L Cummins
Rated Cap: 84 passenger (40 ft)
Hi everyone!

What would be your reason for having Vermont plates/registration if a cop pulled you over?

We’re not from Vermont and haven’t been there before so I can’t find the right answer if this were to ever come up. Thank you!!
startedonlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 03:53 PM   #1583

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: Cummins 8.3 6CTA-250 MD3060
Rated Cap: 90
This is the directions for filling out the form.
https://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/fi...structions.pdf

Instructions for 3b say "The name and address of the seller and date purchased is information required for new and transfer Vermont
registration, even if the vehicle has been registered and titled to you out-of-state. The signature of seller is required
only for dealer transactions and non-titled vehicles when there is no Bill of Sale"
pkhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 05:20 PM   #1584
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgill View Post
1. I'm in the process of filling out my form VD-119 & wondered if I'll need to include the seller's signature on this form. We're no longer local to the seller, so a signature would be difficult to obtain. I tried calling the VT DMV today & was on hold for 30 minutes & never did get through. I'm including the Bill of Sale & should have the title within a couple of days to include a copy of (bus is older than 15 years).

2. I saw somewhere else that I should include form VT-005 "Bill of Sale & Odometer Disclosure Statement". Is this necessary to mail in to obtain a registration? If so, it also asks for the seller's signature which I don't have access to.

Thanks, in advance, for any input!!!

Blessings!
I lived in Vermont for a year and a half and they have their own way of life. I went to the DMV when I got there to get a driver's license. There were 3 people behind the counter and nobody else in the building. They asked me if I had an appointment. Another time I needed to send some tax info to the state office. I called and asked for their fax number and was told that they didn't have one and I had to mail it. This was about 25 years ago but I doubt things have changed much.
It is, however, a beautiful state... Spring and fall in particular
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 04:57 PM   #1585

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas Freightliner
Chassis: FS-65
Engine: CAT3126
Rated Cap: 66
Smile Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkhoff View Post
This is the directions for filling out the form.
https://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/fi...structions.pdf

Instructions for 3b say "The name and address of the seller and date purchased is information required for new and transfer Vermont
registration, even if the vehicle has been registered and titled to you out-of-state. The signature of seller is required
only for dealer transactions and non-titled vehicles when there is no Bill of Sale"

Thanks so much for this!!! I have read and re-read the information & completely have missed that! Much, much appreciated!!! My eyes are buggy with so much new information...thanks again!
cgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 05:43 PM   #1586

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas Freightliner
Chassis: FS-65
Engine: CAT3126
Rated Cap: 66
Vin Verification Forms

I've really appreciated this thread & your post here w/ all of the information!!!

I'm still waiting on our title to be mailed to me after purchasing our bus in & plan to include a copy of it when sending in VD119 since our bus is 15 years old. Is it still your understanding that I don't need to include VIN verification if I include the title copy (**If you do not have a transferable registration or title from the previous owner, include a vin verification.**) because on the website it says, "VIN Verification (use Vermont DMV form VT-0 10) is required for:1. All used vehicles with out of state titles being registered/titled in the applicant’s name for the first time are required to procure a VIN verification"

I tried calling the VT DMV, but was on hold for 30+ minutes & didn't ever get anyone to answer.

Thanks much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolff View Post
Last updated Mar 4 2020

Vermont's application is named VD119. It is the appplication used for title, registration, renewal, transfer, tax, et cetera. Listed below are the steps I used to complete the form:

**If you do not have a transferable registration or title from the previous owner, include a vin verification.**

cgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 02:03 PM   #1587
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Engine: Cummins, Alison
Make and model

What do i put there? Mine is just a Thomas bus. That's gonna give it away. Help please!!
L2thaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 02:32 PM   #1588
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2009
Chassis: Chevy Collins 3500
Engine: 6.6L Duramax
VT Registration - Check is cashed!

Thanks to the moderators and everyone who has commented on this process and kept it up-to-date! I wanted to provide my recent experience in case anyone was interested in what it looks like now.

We bought our mini-bus in NJ and drove it back to CA in September. I was able to get a 30 day temporary registration by providing proof of commercial insurance I bought the same day, through Progressive.

I finally got around to filling out all the details for the VT registration close to the temporary registration expiration date. Sent it in with delivery confirmation via USPS on October 6th.

Our mini-bus is a 2009, so I submitted the following:
  1. VT Registration Tax & Title Application
  2. Original Bill of Sale (we purchased from a bus dealer so this was all complete)
  3. Original Title
  4. Copy of NADA value based on base vehicle (Chevy Express Cutaway)
  5. Copy of Temporary Vehicle Registration (included this because there were inconsistent details between title and bill of sale)
  6. Check for Registration Fee, Title Fee, and Tax
  7. Handwritten note explaining check total and breakdown of fee amounts.
I checked our bank account and our check was cashed today! I'll send an update once we receive the plates, registration, and title.
twothurstons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 02:56 PM   #1589
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2thaJ View Post
What do i put there? Mine is just a Thomas bus. That's gonna give it away. Help please!!
Sorry I cannot figure out what you are asking, please write clearly what exactly your question is.

That said, everything is clearly spelled out in the beginning of this thread, post 1 keeps getting clarified as questions have come up.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:18 PM   #1590
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 77
Just got my plates, sent in info late Sept, even with COVID and post office shenanigans, they still seem to be pretty on top of things. Thanks for all the wonderful info and for keeping it updated, OP.
A Crafty Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 09:19 AM   #1591
Mini-Skoolie

What do you mean by this? "I finally got around to filling out all the details for the VT registration close to the temporary registration expiration date." What's the exp date??
Old 11-06-2020, 11:49 AM   #1592
Bus Geek

Close to the date when the temp reg from the previous state was going to run out
Old 11-06-2020, 02:39 PM   #1593
Mini-Skoolie

Ok but mine come from a yard after sitting for 1 1/2 yrs then i drove it home and its been sitting here for 2 months while i work on it. I have not done anything yet. I just mailed off the forms to vt.. simply put... does that apply to my situation and if so what's that mean for me? Lol

Thanks for the help. Sorry if I'm a bit of trouble in my blonde ways!!
Old 11-06-2020, 02:44 PM   #1594
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Sorry I cannot figure out what you are asking, please write clearly what exactly your question is.

That said, everything is clearly spelled out in the beginning of this thread, post 1 keeps getting clarified as questions have come up.
I had been under the impression, until this post, that it would be an act of congress to get the bus converted to rv status for registration and insurance purposes. I was referring to make and model telling on its self in the application. Previous write ups indicated id have to play the system a bit. So that's where my reason for the question come from. Just to clarify!
Old 11-06-2020, 02:54 PM   #1595
Bus Geek

Quote:
I had been under the impression, until this post, that it would be an act of congress to get the bus converted to rv status for registration and insurance purposes.
No everything is straightforward wrt registration, for any state, using this VT process. I beliie literally any vehicle type can use this route.

The only hiccup from a practical POV is if you keep the bus for a long time in a jurisdiction where the local police enforce their "must register locally after Xmonths" regulation

AND they notice you've been around longer than that.

None of this has anything to do with getting insurance, that is a different topic, and varies a lot by the state where it is nominally "garaged"
Old 11-06-2020, 02:57 PM   #1596
Bus Geek

Quote:
does that apply to my situation ?
What is it you are referencing with the word "that" in your question?

Again, everything is spelled out in the post #1 here, keep reading it until it all sinks in.

Skimming the rest of the thread may help you, as the same stuff keeps getting repeated in other words.
Old 11-06-2020, 03:24 PM   #1597
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2009
Chassis: Chevy Collins 3500
Engine: 6.6L Duramax
Quote:
Close to the date when the temp reg from the previous state was going to run out
This is correct. My temporary registration was going to expire on October 13 and my VT registration was sent out the week before, and delivered on October 6th.

I also received my VT plates this week! Still no registration, title, or tags yet though.
twothurstons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 11:04 PM   #1598
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
No everything is straightforward wrt registration, for any state, using this VT process. I beliie literally any vehicle type can use this route.

The only hiccup from a practical POV is if you keep the bus for a long time in a jurisdiction where the local police enforce their "must register locally after Xmonths" regulation

AND they notice you've been around longer than that.

None of this has anything to do with getting insurance, that is a different topic, and varies a lot by the state where it is nominally "garaged"
You da man!! Thank you!
Old 11-06-2020, 11:07 PM   #1599
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by twothurstons View Post
This is correct. My temporary registration was going to expire on October 13 and my VT registration was sent out the week before, and delivered on October 6th.

I also received my VT plates this week! Still no registration, title, or tags yet though.
I assume it will be coming?? I sent mine priority, they'll have it by Tuesday. I'll def update as to the time line and what nots as they happen till its all squared away!

As you can see im still a ways away from completion!
Attached Thumbnails
USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1604703998945_6730616401593777588.jpg  
Old 11-06-2020, 11:15 PM   #1600
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
What is it you are referencing with the word "that" in your question?

Again, everything is spelled out in the post #1 here, keep reading it until it all sinks in.

Skimming the rest of the thread may help you, as the same stuff keeps getting repeated in other words.
I have skimmed it until i couldn't anymore. By "that" i meant the expiration of current registration... which was the whole topic of the post i was replying to. I thought i quoted it even, to help clarify it better this time. I've never had to re-explain myself so much as i am here...

You wake up on the bad side of the bed today? You mark the 1st rude encounter i have had In all my skoolie networking. Did i do something to make you desire to make me out to look like a dummy who can't ask any questions correctly? Cause thank you, you are succeeding at doing such.