Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2021, 10:59 AM   #1781

Does anyone know if there is a registered agent service in Vermont that I can pay to complete this in person? The reason I ask is a attempt to avoid the 6 week wait time

Also if I am changing the title on a bus that is already titled in my name, I assume I leave the buyer section blank and include no taxes?

tehknein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:53 PM   #1782
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Talking RV Title

Just an update. I completed as per instructions, mailed off with a check, and successfully got my plates. Woo Hoo!
Sent on Jan 19th. Check cased Feb. 26. Received plates today (March 10).

However, I have also driven the bus from Canada to California, multiple days, public streets and freeways, and nary an officer. I carried a "moving permit" with me every time I took it anywhere just in case. In CA, it was easy to get this permit, and it isn't dated until you date it. So the plan was to use it if/when I was pulled over. Looks like I won't need it now.

AdamKnox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 06:04 AM   #1783
Mini-Skoolie

I received 2, but sc only requires one plate,so I'm only using one. No plans to visit VT
RockynBeefy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 07:58 AM   #1784
Mini-Skoolie

Finally see the check cashed in my bank statement. Arrived at office 1-29 check cashed 3-11 wait times are extreme I have been calling every m/w/f to check status with no updates until today seeing the check taken out of my balance. Will update when plates arrive.
ThomasC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:21 PM   #1785
Bus Geek

Anything under a month is to be grateful for.

2 weeks turnaround is not a reasonable expectation.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 11:08 PM   #1786
Mini-Skoolie

You are correct they say 4 to 6 weeks so if you want to be technical they are within range. That being said i waited 6 weeks with an original title just floating around there office (1-29 to 3-12) to see just the check cashed. Overall it's running 7 to 8 weeks for plate and tag arrival. it was nerve wracking at times I began to check in from 4 week time to now. The check is cash is piece of mind for sure.

Regards,
Old 03-15-2021, 07:01 PM   #1787
Almost There

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE3000
Engine: 7.6L Navistar DT466
Rated Cap: 84 Passengers
Sharing my experience!

Just wanted to share my experience, just got my license plates in the mail a few days ago!

I sent the form somewhere around Christmas, I think Dec 24th. However, I made a stupid mistake - I filled the entire form but I actually forgot to sign it! So, a month later, around Jan 25th I got my form back in the mail with the instruction to sign it and return to them. So I signed and sent it back early February. I got the plates in the mail on Mar 10th.

I'm staying here at Rock's property (That's Rock-n-Ruth from the forum) and he suggested that even though I bought the bus in Arizona and already paid Arizona purchase tax, that I should send Vermont a check for the full tax amount needed to be paid in Vermont. He said in his experience he thought he made the calculation right when he sent them the form, but apparently he didn't and they sent it back to him with the corrected amount. Something about the different phrasing or name of the specific tax between Colorado and Vermont. Being that I wanted it to arrive as fast as possible (which didn't actually work because of my mistake, but that's unrelated) he suggested that I send them the full amount with a letter saying that if I overpaid I would appreciate a refund. When I called them on the phone they assured me that they will issue me a refund if needed when they process my application.

So, as I said, I got my plates in the mail five days ago, and today I also got a check from them, they refunded me $161 which was very nice. Overall I would suggest that if you're in a rush to get your plates and you don't feel comfortable with trying to understand the various and different taxes between states like myself, do the same and pay for the application as if you need to pay full Vermont tax on the vehicle, and they'll refund you the overpayment. If you are not in a rush and feel comfortable with tax laws, go ahead and pay the difference based on your purchase state.

In any case I'm happy to report I now have my plates and I'm legal to roam the American highways! Onwards!
Ronigbzjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 07:30 PM   #1788
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronigbzjr View Post
Just wanted to share my experience, just got my license plates in the mail a few days ago!

I sent the form somewhere around Christmas, I think Dec 24th. However, I made a stupid mistake - I filled the entire form but I actually forgot to sign it! So, a month later, around Jan 25th I got my form back in the mail with the instruction to sign it and return to them. So I signed and sent it back early February. I got the plates in the mail on Mar 10th.

I'm staying here at Rock's property (That's Rock-n-Ruth from the forum) and he suggested that even though I bought the bus in Arizona and already paid Arizona purchase tax, that I should send Vermont a check for the full tax amount needed to be paid in Vermont. He said in his experience he thought he made the calculation right when he sent them the form, but apparently he didn't and they sent it back to him with the corrected amount. Something about the different phrasing or name of the specific tax between Colorado and Vermont. Being that I wanted it to arrive as fast as possible (which didn't actually work because of my mistake, but that's unrelated) he suggested that I send them the full amount with a letter saying that if I overpaid I would appreciate a refund. When I called them on the phone they assured me that they will issue me a refund if needed when they process my application.

So, as I said, I got my plates in the mail five days ago, and today I also got a check from them, they refunded me $161 which was very nice. Overall I would suggest that if you're in a rush to get your plates and you don't feel comfortable with trying to understand the various and different taxes between states like myself, do the same and pay for the application as if you need to pay full Vermont tax on the vehicle, and they'll refund you the overpayment. If you are not in a rush and feel comfortable with tax laws, go ahead and pay the difference based on your purchase state.

In any case I'm happy to report I now have my plates and I'm legal to roam the American highways! Onwards!

This is crazy considering I mailed mine with tracking and insurance overnight and I am 2 states over in New York. Haven't recieved plates yet and just had check cashed took 6 weeks. In that time you had went back and forth with them in the mail... my application was there before your 2nd mailing correction arrived.. I noticed I was also bypassed by alot of other work when I called they said they were working on mail from 3/2 my work arrived on 1/29 and I still dont have plates!

Glad you got that taken care of I did pay full tax and also sent an itemized sheet of payment for the total.

Regards,
Old 03-17-2021, 08:21 AM   #1789
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International/Amtran
Engine: DT466 w/Alison 3060
Rated Cap: 11 window
Mailed my package out yesterday...praying to the Gods of chewed gum from under the seats for a relatively quick turn-around time... whilst being realistic...and praying to unknown deities.

Will keep it updated!
docmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 08:32 AM   #1790

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas Freightliner
Chassis: FS-65
Engine: CAT3126
Rated Cap: 66
Exclamation Need Help With Selling VT Registered Bus in NC

Our bus is registered (not titled as it's over 15 yrs old) in VT as a motor home.

We're selling it in NC, but aren't NC residents. We have a potential buyer coming today!

We're being told by the NC DMV that WE have to get a new title for the motor home in order to sell it - that the VT transferrable registration isn't enough?!?!

Has anyone sold their VT registered bus to someone in another state and had to do anything but sign over the VT transferrable registration & give them a bill of sale?

Does the VT registration need to be notarized when signed over or is that state dependent?

Thanks for any help you can offer!!! The guy at the VT DMV thought anyone should be able to walk into a DMV w/ the bill of sale, transferrable registration signed over & maybe the original title (which we have from when we purchased the bus in NC in Oct., though I wouldn't think it would be needed at this point) & get a new title and registration from any state. I thought this would be the case as well and now am not sure how to proceed w/ potential buyers.

Buyers want to see a "title" and the VT registration sure doesn't look like a title, so they're leery - understandably so!

Thanks for any help you can give!!!
cgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 03:12 PM   #1791

Year: 2004
Chassis: Ford E350 Super Duty Van
I just purchased a 2005 Ford E350 Activity Bus (listed as an E350 Super Duty Van on title), and want to convert it into an RV. Would this VT title process work for converting the title/registration on an activity bus as well?
kbhaag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 03:52 PM   #1792
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbhaag View Post
I just purchased a 2005 Ford E350 Activity Bus (listed as an E350 Super Duty Van on title), and want to convert it into an RV. Would this VT title process work for converting the title/registration on an activity bus as well?
Vermont will let you register any motor vehicle in their state as long as you pays your money. Keep in mind it gets you a registration that says RV, but your insurance company will need pics of a completed conversion before insuring it as such.
Old 03-17-2021, 03:55 PM   #1793
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgill View Post
Our bus is registered (not titled as it's over 15 yrs old) in VT as a motor home.

We're selling it in NC, but aren't NC residents. We have a potential buyer coming today!

We're being told by the NC DMV that WE have to get a new title for the motor home in order to sell it - that the VT transferrable registration isn't enough?!?!

Has anyone sold their VT registered bus to someone in another state and had to do anything but sign over the VT transferrable registration & give them a bill of sale?

Does the VT registration need to be notarized when signed over or is that state dependent?

Thanks for any help you can offer!!! The guy at the VT DMV thought anyone should be able to walk into a DMV w/ the bill of sale, transferrable registration signed over & maybe the original title (which we have from when we purchased the bus in NC in Oct., though I wouldn't think it would be needed at this point) & get a new title and registration from any state. I thought this would be the case as well and now am not sure how to proceed w/ potential buyers.

Buyers want to see a "title" and the VT registration sure doesn't look like a title, so they're leery - understandably so!

Thanks for any help you can give!!!
Your original title and a Bill of Sale is all you will need. Some here are trying to say my Ga. title is no good after I registered it in Vermont. When I sell it, all I need is my original Ga. title and BOS. No one needs to know where it was previously registered or if it was registered at all.
Old 03-17-2021, 05:05 PM   #1794

Exclamation Update during/post covid

I sent in all paperwork according to this post to the t in early Feb 2021. They said it would take 4 to 6 weeks to be processed when I called to check on it after just two weeks. The day after the 4 week mark I called again and found my order was processed with no issues at all and my plates are in the mail. So 4 weeks to the day for me. To be clear I have done nothing toward my conversion or build yet. The bus is still yellow and full of seats. I chose blue for the color on the title. Now on to the next step, thanks for the guidance.

See ya down the road.

Alice_the_skoolie on social media!
Carma_Seashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 07:33 PM   #1795

Year: 2004
Chassis: Ford E350 Super Duty Van
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Vermont will let you register any motor vehicle in their state as long as you pays your money. Keep in mind it gets you a registration that says RV, but your insurance company will need pics of a completed conversion before insuring it as such.
I'm located in OK, so will be transferring registration in OK. I should've mentioned that in OP.
kbhaag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 07:39 PM   #1796
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Cummins, Alison
Hmmm.. i got 2. I'm thinking that is a question for the omv. You should just call them or email them.
L2thaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 07:56 PM   #1797
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbhaag View Post
I'm located in OK, so will be transferring registration in OK. I should've mentioned that in OP.
I'm confused, are you saying you will register in Vt. and then transfer to Ok.? What does that gain you if Ok. does an inspection when you transfer your unconverted RV? Also, doesn't matter where it is registered, you'll need to show conversion completion to the insurance company. Your state may frown upon being registered in one state and insured in another.
Old 03-18-2021, 08:20 PM   #1798
Mini-Skoolie

Ok final update I sent my papers 1/28 they arrived 1/29

They sat and didnt get processed until 3/9 that's when their computer shows the date as the dmv clerk and the check came out of my account on 3/11

Just got plates tonight 3/18

So from 1/28 to 3/18 was the whole time elapsed and I live 2 states over in NY

Hope that helps give an idea of times right now.

I have a 2009 Thomas C2 it required original title and I will be issued one back.

I got an insurance policy for 350 a year yesterday

Time to start gutting her out as she is still 100percent a bus with lettering.

Cheers all see y'all on the interstate!
Old 03-19-2021, 01:03 AM   #1799
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Freightliner
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Where did you get insurance for $350? My policy with Allstate is set to start Monday at $445 a year.
2mchprssr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 04:47 AM   #1800

How about for Canadians?

Hi ya'll
I understand this is for American rules, but would anyone know what the requirements would be in Canada?
Pixie-lennox is offline   Reply With Quote