Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2021, 10:14 PM   #1801
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: p30 shorty
Engine: chevy 6.0 gas
did you get insurance before you got the plates and title or after you sent the papers and got them back? and who did you get in insurance with

Knight163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 04:12 PM   #1802

So we just bought our bus on Sunday. We live in Michigan, drove to WI to buy it. We are planning to register in VT ASAP but we're freaking out a little because the seller forgot to fully fill out his info on the bill of sale and it's proving frustrating to track him down. The issue we're running into is we are moving in 6 weeks. We need plates by then. I know VT is backlogged. Do you think there is any chance to get them by May 8? What should we do if we don't receive them in time? Any experience with this or ideas?

Also what's up with the vin verification? Is it that needed? We have all the paperwork from the seller.

Our bus is a 2002 GMC Savana, shorty 😁
mgspencer10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 05:47 PM   #1803
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgspencer10 View Post
So we just bought our bus on Sunday. We live in Michigan, drove to WI to buy it. We are planning to register in VT ASAP but we're freaking out a little because the seller forgot to fully fill out his info on the bill of sale and it's proving frustrating to track him down. The issue we're running into is we are moving in 6 weeks. We need plates by then. I know VT is backlogged. Do you think there is any chance to get them by May 8? What should we do if we don't receive them in time? Any experience with this or ideas?

Also what's up with the vin verification? Is it that needed? We have all the paperwork from the seller.

I would have made a copy of the VT. application. You have to drive like a complete idiot to get pulled over in a bus, plates or not. As long as you have proper insurance and your paperwork is in order, you'll likely not be hassled by LEO. VIN verification is usually handled at your local PD , easy and free.
Old 03-27-2021, 11:25 AM   #1804

Check returned

I wrote my check to “Vermont DMV” it was returned as they want it to read “Department of Motor Vehicles. This was exactly 5 weeks after I submitted my information that I got it all returned to me requesting a new check or changed and initialed.
Tforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 10:03 PM   #1805
Bus Geek

Quote:
Do you think there is any chance to get them by May 8?
Slim to none, take your chances.

Carry all your paperwork
including evidence of the fact you're moving, photocopies & dated receipts of sending your VT application
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 09:43 AM   #1806
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Chassis: INTL RE3000
Engine: DT466E w/3060 Trans
I have a question regarding sending in a copy of a title, or the original title.

I have a title from another state that was transferred to me. The bus is a 2004 which makes it older than 15 years.

Per the OPs instructions, well, there is a discrepancy.

> - First and foremost, for transferable registrations (<15yrs), make sure you include a copy of your title. If you are expecting to receive a title (>15yrs) be sure to include your ORIGINAL title. If your bus has no title, make sure you have a bill of sale and a vin verification, verifying it's not stolen. As of now (01/01/17), it seems that a vin verification is only necessary if you have no ownership papers.

I read that as busses with titles GREATER THAN 15 years old you must send the ORIGINAL title.

But in the "repetitive" version, it says the opposite and to only send a copy.

> Transferable registrations: Buses 15 years or older, include COPY of title + bill of sale + completed application + registration fee ($76/1yr or $140/2yrs) + 6% VT tax (or proof that tax has already been paid) + handwritten note itemizing your costs

So, simple question, with a 2004 bus, am I sending the original title, or a copy?
Turdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 10:03 AM   #1807

Year: 2006
Engine: CE200/VT365
Rated Cap: 16 + 2WC
Quote:

Vermont has a $6 60 day temp registration & plate on their website right now. I just used it to get out bus from NY to NH last week. Simply fill out the info online and pay your $6 then print the plate and reg at home!
Ldavenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 10:25 AM   #1808
Mini-Skoolie

Engine: 3600 Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdle View Post
I have a question regarding sending in a copy of a title, or the original title.

I have a title from another state that was transferred to me. The bus is a 2004 which makes it older than 15 years.

Per the OPs instructions, well, there is a discrepancy.

&gt; - First and foremost, for transferable registrations (&lt;15yrs), make sure you include a copy of your title. If you are expecting to receive a title (&gt;15yrs) be sure to include your ORIGINAL title. If your bus has no title, make sure you have a bill of sale and a vin verification, verifying it's not stolen. As of now (01/01/17), it seems that a vin verification is only necessary if you have no ownership papers.

I read that as busses with titles GREATER THAN 15 years old you must send the ORIGINAL title.

But in the "repetitive" version, it says the opposite and to only send a copy.

&gt; Transferable registrations: Buses 15 years or older, include COPY of title + bill of sale + completed application + registration fee ($76/1yr or $140/2yrs) + 6% VT tax (or proof that tax has already been paid) + handwritten note itemizing your costs

So, simple question, with a 2004 bus, am I sending the original title, or a copy?
I sent in a copy of my bill of sale and filled out the information on the form.
I suggest sending a copy and sending it certified mail return receipt (so you have proof it was delivered).
I sent mine in July or August 2020 for my 1991 international 3800 and received plates by September.
Now please note I did not receive a title or transferrable registration yet. I only received my paperwork that the DMV revised, registration and a plate. When my build is complete I plan on making her first long trip to Vermont from Pennsylvania.

Hope this helped!
Old 03-29-2021, 10:30 AM   #1809

Year: 2006
Engine: CE200/VT365
Rated Cap: 16 + 2WC
how do you guys determine the loaded weight for the application?
Ldavenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 10:44 AM   #1810
Bus Geek

I think just a typo the &lt;&gt; symbols reversed

Older gets no title, only newer
Old 04-03-2021, 04:29 PM   #1811
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Diamond
Chassis: E450
Engine: 7.3L
Guess I gotta Vermont this week. Received my plates on 2-26-21. Today is 4-3-21 and still no stickers or paperwork.
Lasagna Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 07:54 PM   #1812
Bus Geek

it'll come soon
Old 04-04-2021, 10:10 AM   #1813
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Diamond
Chassis: E450
Engine: 7.3L
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
it'll come soon
Normal for it to take a month? I expected a month to get the plates but I figured the paperwork would have followed the plates pretty quickly.
Lasagna Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 01:02 PM   #1814
Bus Geek

We are not yet back to "normal"
Old 04-05-2021, 03:58 PM   #1815

If we purchase a bus through an auction and already paid 8% on taxes, do we still need to include the 6% Vermont tax?
TLTAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 06:22 PM   #1816
Mini-Skoolie

no,but you will need proof you paid the sales tax.
RockynBeefy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 12:33 PM   #1817
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2thaJ View Post
I'm going to call them Monday and find out if they are OK with the pics during the conversion or if it needs to be done when I'm finished. I'll keep you posted.
Do you know the name of the DMV agent you were working with? I just got a phone call this morning about the model of vehicle, because it's an ambulance body based on an old Jeep truck. They were checking up on the 'motorhome' registration. I called her back, and she WORKED to find the VIN reference to the base model of truck, and then I had to pay additional taxes (on the phone via credit card) based on the NADA value of the base vehicle. Ugh.

Quote:
Next time anyone's on the phone with one, please ask

"under what circumstances do y'all ask for photos, and why?"
I OFFERED to send photos of the Jeep ambulance, but she said, nope- and just looked up the base vehicle and then I had to pay additional taxes. She didn't seem to care about registering it as a motorhome, but more about the vehicle it was based on. Bummer, but at least it's going through. This is my fourth vehicle going through this process, and the first I've run into any issues with.

I really think some agents there just run them through if everything looks good, but others go through due-diligence to make sure color is correct, request photos, maybe VIN inspections... Not sure. But, even though I was registering it as a motorhome, it was just like registering a truck because of the person that got this particular packet I sent in.
DesertClimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 12:38 PM   #1818
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
They don't move faster than 2-4 weeks for out of state applicants.
On a side note, my packet shows delivered on 4/01/2021. Just 7 days later, I was told my plates would ship out today or tomorrow.

I guess we'll see on that!
DesertClimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 05:16 PM   #1819
Bus Geek

Looks like variability is the only true constant!
Old 04-07-2021, 08:03 PM   #1820
Mini-Skoolie

So if I have a title in hand in my name, I just take copies of my title front and back, then mail it with the completed form, along with tax money? Does that also apply if I just paid tax, tag, and title in my current state?

And how do I tansfer that registration or title back into my home state?
Iwant2bayleaf is offline   Reply With Quote