Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2021, 05:16 PM   #2021
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by farok View Post

Does it "unregister" me from NJ when it processes?

Thanks again, all!

Chris
You can't be registered in 2 states at the same time. You would set yourself up for a charge of misuse of plates.

Old 08-03-2021, 09:09 PM   #2022
Bus Geek

Most states require you to turn in your local plates soon as registered elsewhere
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 08:47 AM   #2023
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Chassis: Chevy cut-away 6-window shortie
Engine: 6.0L Gasser
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
You can't be registered in 2 states at the same time. You would set yourself up for a charge of misuse of plates.

Thanks. I suspected something like that would be the case.

Any thoughts from others who have done this on these first two questions?

1.) When I send in the forms to VT, how do I fill out the seller info, as I've owned the bus, titled in my name, for 2.5 years?

2.) Do I pay VT tax since I paid NJ when I bought it a couple years ago? (Assuming I can find my original registration receipt)

Thanks,
Chris
Old 08-04-2021, 10:54 AM   #2024
Bus Geek

I would just place a call to Vt. DMV and ask about transferring your registration to Vt.
Old 08-04-2021, 02:20 PM   #2025
Bus Nut

Chassis: Chevy cut-away 6-window shortie
Engine: 6.0L Gasser
Quote:
I would just place a call to Vt. DMV and ask about transferring your registration to Vt.

I left a message - let's see what comes back...
Old 08-04-2021, 03:28 PM   #2026
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:

Do you have a citation to an actual law that says that?
It makes sense but there would have to be a law stating so and it would have to be in one of the two states involved.

I know most states say you have to register in their state within a certain amount of time after moving there but I was never required to submit the title if the vehicle had a lien on it (because I wouldn't be able to get the title) so for many years I had vehicles with title in Maryland and registration in California.
Also when I moved to Oregon I converted all my vehicles from California to Oregon title and registration but I kept my California plates and tags which were paid for and therefore valid. California law only requires a COPY of the registration so it seems like until my registration in Calif ran out I would be legal to put either plates on.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 05:38 PM   #2027
Bus Geek

As usual all these issues vary greatly by state.

Many states cooperate in cross-referencing their databases.

Nomads have much greater leeway than those living in S&B homes.
Old 08-06-2021, 07:15 PM   #2028

Hi-I'm about to go the VT retitling route-but while I have a bill of sale and the title of my bus with my sellers signature, they've moved across the country since my sale took place and I am unable to get their signature for the VT bill of sale/ odometer form. will my bill of sale and signed over title be good enough? My bus is over 15 years old.
Giraffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 07:38 PM   #2029
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giraffes View Post
Hi-I'm about to go the VT retitling route-but while I have a bill of sale and the title of my bus with my sellers signature, they've moved across the country since my sale took place and I am unable to get their signature for the VT bill of sale/ odometer form. will my bill of sale and signed over title be good enough? My bus is over 15 years old.

I think it would be good. If I remember correctly the odometer isn't required for the older rigs. Check our video on YouTube or our blog. Both are under our user name here. I go through every form we filled out as well as some things we learned afterwards.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
Old 08-06-2021, 08:26 PM   #2030
Bus Geek

Quote:
IINM, VT will not issue a title on one that is 15 years old. You don't need the title to register it. I kept my Ga. title, but am registered in VT., with Ga. insurance. If I sell it, I will pull the Vt. tags and sell it with my good title. BOS was all I needed.
Old 08-06-2021, 08:46 PM   #2031

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
I think it would be good. If I remember correctly the odometer isn't required for the older rigs. Check our video on YouTube or our blog. Both are under our user name here. I go through every form we filled out as well as some things we learned afterwards.
So I shouldn’t need that separate disclosure, but I still don’t have the sellers signature for the main paperwork. I do have the proof of chain of ownership, so I guess I’ll call the DMV and see what they say
Giraffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 11:33 PM   #2032
Bus Crazy

Quote:
So I shouldn’t need that separate disclosure, but I still don’t have the sellers signature for the main paperwork. I do have the proof of chain of ownership, so I guess I’ll call the DMV and see what they say

If you have the title signed over by the titled owner to someone and the bill of sale from that someone to you, that's a complete chain of ownership. The VT bill of sale probably won't be necessary but I'd definitely try giving them a call first. AND if yo get answers you don't like, try calling again. It's a FACT that government agencies are full of people that will give you an answer, especially the answer "no you can't do that", even when they don't have a clue.
Old 08-20-2021, 07:08 PM   #2033
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Freightliner
Engine: Cat 3126
Well it didn't work, but at least it didn't slow the process down!! They cashed both checks yesterday!! Hopefully I see registration and then plates quickly!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNbusboy View Post
My registration is in the mail!! In the meantime I used the Temporary Registration link from page 96 to print a temp plate for $6.

I paid 6.5% sales tax in MN, which is more than the 6% in VT. My bus was $750, plus a $98 Bidder Premium, for a total of $847.50. I didn't want my VT registration to get derailed over $50.85 in tax, but $50 is $50 right? I wrote a letter itemizing the fees I was paying, and told them that I included 2 of the VD-119 forms and 2 checks. One VD-119 has no sales tax, and the check covers the registration and warranty fees (didn't know if the warranty fees was required, but the directions sound like it is and it's only $6). The other VD-119 includes the taxes, and the second check covers the difference. This way they can make the decision on whether I need to pay the taxes with no delay or overpayment if it's not required. Hopefully they only need to cash the first check and I get my registration and plates quickly!!
MNbusboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 11:38 AM   #2034

Question about Registration in Vermont

If you get your school bus (Over 15 yrs) registered in vermont and the registration says Motor home. When you go to another state like Georgia and have it registered in that state. Would the registration still be as a motor home in Georgia?

Any information would be helpful.

Connie
cpicardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 11:40 AM   #2035
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpicardi View Post
If you get your school bus (Over 15 yrs) registered in vermont and the registration says Motor home. When you go to another state like Georgia and have it registered in that state. Would the registration still be as a motor home in Georgia?

Any information would be helpful.

Connie
Yes, your "transferable registration" is the same as a title here after 15 years.
Old 08-31-2021, 01:36 PM   #2036
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Setra
Chassis: S 417
Engine: 12.7 L
Rated Cap: 56
I'm hoping the same will be true for my 2006 bus. I have it registered as a motor home in Vermont. I noticed your is still registered in Vermont. Is there any advantage to keeping Vermont Registration?
Jimot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 02:02 PM   #2037
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimot View Post
I'm hoping the same will be true for my 2006 bus. I have it registered as a motor home in Vermont. I noticed your is still registered in Vermont. Is there any advantage to keeping Vermont Registration?
Some one in Ga. already had my vanity plate, BCKT LST. That's the only reason I went the Vt. route, otherwise I had no issues registering in Ga.
When I registered in Vt. I held onto my Ga. title. If and when I sell, I'll use the title. One advantage to Vt. registration is you can continue to renew by mail without ever seeing Vt.
Old 08-31-2021, 02:14 PM   #2038
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466 / MD3060
looking head to re-registering in my home state - I went the VT route, and got the plates, and tag -
is this the only paperwork I should be expecting?

I have: Original CA title, VT Plates, VT Registration Sticker, VT Registration Paper (came with the sticker)

1995 bus year, so I'm doing a transferable title (i think)

Does this sound right? just trying to avoid surprises at the NV DMV
A_Bus_Called_Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 05:05 PM   #2039
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Gerschafer View Post
looking head to re-registering in my home state - I went the VT route, and got the plates, and tag -
is this the only paperwork I should be expecting?

I have: Original CA title, VT Plates, VT Registration Sticker, VT Registration Paper (came with the sticker)

1995 bus year, so I'm doing a transferable title (i think)

Does this sound right? just trying to avoid surprises at the NV DMV
I'm not sure about this, but I don't think you want to bring the CA title, just the VT stuff. The VT registration will (should) get you a new NV title. I think the CA title (which I think is still valid but I'm not sure) will just confuse them.

I have a PA title and a VT registration, but I do not know whether the PA title is still valid since I used it to get the VT registration. I need to get around to asking PennDOT about this at some point.
Old 08-31-2021, 08:51 PM   #2040
Bus Geek

Yes, legally the VT transferable rego

becomes your current title as well.

The CA title is technically no longer valid.

But, keeping it as a historical record, just like an old rego, or bills of sale my well come in handy.