Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2022, 04:39 PM   #2161
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
Ours has MH as the body type and says "Passenger car or school bus" in two lines on the bottom right.
Oh ok! Thats exactly what mine looks like. I'm happy to know that I have the correct registration. I thought it would have said motorhome. I guess the process was a bit too easy and I was expecting to encounter problems.

0Wanderlust0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 08:19 AM   #2162
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Update

Check shows cashed! Getting closer
Deadbolt0804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 08:39 AM   #2163
Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Cheverolet
Chassis: 3500 Express
Engine: 6.0L V8 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbolt0804 View Post

I got mine back in about 2.5 weeks. The registration came about 4 days after the plates.
buslivesmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 03:38 PM   #2164
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by buslivesmatter View Post
I got mine back in about 2.5 weeks. The registration came about 4 days after the plates.
Ours was probably longer because it was in the middle of the covid conspiracy
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 04:35 PM   #2165
Skoolie

Quote:
Ours was probably longer because it was in the middle of the covid conspiracy

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] Most likely.
Old 05-09-2022, 05:18 PM   #2166
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedHeart View Post
I am looking into registering my new bus as an RV, so thank you for this information. Just FYI, here is the updated link (that one is not directing to form VD-119 anymore)
https://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/fi..._Tax_Title.pdf

Thank you for reporting the error. I will update this as soon as I have time. Might have to pass the reigns on to someone else -- it's been many years since I wrote this post and I don't really have the time to skoolie anymore. Glad it's still working out for everyone.
warewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 04:59 AM   #2167
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444e
Just got my plates yesterday, waiting on the reg/sticker. I sent everything out on the 30th of april, checked was cashed on May 4th and the plates were in my mailbox yesterday. It was much quicker than i thought it would be.
Kstjarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 04:21 PM   #2168
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Oddly the sticker got in today, beating the title transfer and plates 🤷*♂️
Old 05-16-2022, 04:39 PM   #2169
Bus Crazy

Dang, they're getting quick at this.

And CONGRATS to the last two posters.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
Old 05-16-2022, 05:44 PM   #2170
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
I can also confirm.... this works. First attempt failed with some fields I forgot to fill in. Second time, came in < 2 weeks.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 09:47 AM   #2171
Skoolie

Should I be concerned if I'm trying to register another older vehicle and it's been 2 weeks and the money order still hasn't been cashed? This was much faster with my bus.
Old 06-01-2022, 03:03 PM   #2172
Mini-Skoolie

Timeline of my recent Vermont plate registration. My vehicle is in Missouri and over 15 years old.

4/25/2022 Sent my paperwork via USPS (I later found out the MO State Tax / Motor Vehicle Sate Sales - 0106 is valid for the taxes portion of the Vermont registration. So don't overpay like I did. I was in a time crunch and didn't want the form to get rejected.)
5/06/2022 The check was cashed
5/16/2022 Received the Transferable Registration and sticker (bus is older than 15 years)
5/20/2022 Received the plates
Old 06-01-2022, 03:05 PM   #2173
Skoolie

Quote:
Timeline of my recent Vermont plate registration. My vehicle is in Missouri and over 15 years old.

4/25/2022 Sent my paperwork via USPS (I later found out the MO State Tax / Motor Vehicle Sate Sales - 0106 is valid for the taxes portion of the Vermont registration. So don't overpay like I did. I was in a time crunch and didn't want the form to get rejected.)
5/06/2022 The check was cashed
5/16/2022 Received the Transferable Registration and sticker (bus is older than 15 years)
5/20/2022 Received the plates

Yeah I went ahead and called today. They said they didn’t receive a signed bill of sale or the money order. I included both of those things in the package so I’m annoyed. They said they’re mailing it back. I hope my money order and original bill of sale are in the package. This is annoying to say the least.
Old 06-05-2022, 08:32 AM   #2174
Skoolie

Quote:
Yeah I went ahead and called today. They said they didn’t receive a signed bill of sale or the money order. I included both of those things in the package so I’m annoyed. They said they’re mailing it back. I hope my money order and original bill of sale are in the package. This is annoying to say the least.
I got my paperwork returned with everything except my bill of sale and USPS money order. It says it wasn't included and tried to tax me for way more than I actually paid for the vehicle. Has anyone ever had this happen with Vermont registration?

I'm now out of my money and my original bill of sale. The money order says it hasn't been cashed yet. All I have is a photocopy of the original bill of sale now. This was purchased on Facebook Marketplace so I have no idea how to get the seller to rewrite a bill of sale or if they're even still in state. I'm furious right now. Does anyone know how getting a refund for my money order and finding a new bill of sale works?
Old 06-05-2022, 11:27 AM   #2175
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 27,500
Quote:
I got my paperwork returned with everything except my bill of sale and USPS money order. It says it wasn't included and tried to tax me for way more than I actually paid for the vehicle. Has anyone ever had this happen with Vermont registration?

I'm now out of my money and my original bill of sale. The money order says it hasn't been cashed yet. All I have is a photocopy of the original bill of sale now. This was purchased on Facebook Marketplace so I have no idea how to get the seller to rewrite a bill of sale or if they're even still in state. I'm furious right now. Does anyone know how getting a refund for my money order and finding a new bill of sale works?
This goes outside my experience with the Vermont registration experience but I would suggest that you try calling again. I've noted that some folks have gotten different results with persistent telephone calls. I've called a couple times and gotten what I needed. It doesn't seem reasonable that someone in the Vermont DMV thinks they're going to get away with stealing money from a customer. You might want to look into whether there is an investigative department you could contact.

I just renewed my registration online and it took all of 10 minutes and was painless though I won't feel comfortable until I get the new registration in the mail.
Oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 03:44 PM   #2176
Bus Crazy

Quote:

As far as the price paid and the taxes, because your vehicle is something likely listed on the NADA or Kelly books, they probably assigned the book value to your rig. They also have a provision that any vehicle is worth at least $500 and you have to pay tax on that amount..... even if you REALLY only paid $50......
Not knowing what you paid and what the book value of your 3500 Express is, this is probably what happened.

As for the Bill of Sale and money order. No idea but I'd go with OY's suggestion of contacting an investigative department within the VT DMV.
Old 06-06-2022, 05:14 PM   #2177
Skoolie

Quote:
As far as the price paid and the taxes, because your vehicle is something likely listed on the NADA or Kelly books, they probably assigned the book value to your rig. They also have a provision that any vehicle is worth at least $500 and you have to pay tax on that amount..... even if you REALLY only paid $50......
Not knowing what you paid and what the book value of your 3500 Express is, this is probably what happened.

As for the Bill of Sale and money order. No idea but I'd go with OY's suggestion of contacting an investigative department within the VT DMV.

Thanks. I spoke with someone again today at the VT dmv and she said if I have a photo of the original bill of sale that’s all they need. I did have to go to the post office and pay $7 for them to do an investigation which will take God only knows how long. Of course my local post office was pretty useless and terrible with the help. They said it could take anywhere from 1-4 weeks. I don’t have another $254 sitting around to try again so I’m just going to have to wait on the post office at this point. It’s all annoying tbh but hopefully this will help someone else out who encounters this issue.

Whenever I get my money back the person at the Vermont DMV told me to send it her directly and she’d make sure it’s taken care of properly.
Old 06-07-2022, 05:32 PM   #2178
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird?
Chassis: 26ft Bluebird TC2000
Engine: Cumming 5.9 12v, AT545
The previous owner of my bus moved here from Cali where it was registered in his name, but his title was not sent to him. I bought it on bill of sale (and have open comms with him as we sort through the mess) I saw on the Cali DMV website that he is indeed the lawful owner, title or no, and heard the Cali DMV agent tell him there's no reason they cant send him a title, but it will take 1.5-2 months. Even then, I still have to deal with getting Okla to change it to a motorhome, and I want to do that conversion at my house (where I need RV plates to park) vs in storage.

So, am I reading this thread correctly that Vermont will give me a transferrable registration "as good as a title" if I send them my bill of sale, his valid Cali registration, a vin verification, and the correct amount of scratch with that form filled out? And Oklahoma will accept that MH registration and give me a legit OK title?

Edit: I just read that a vin verification often includes the "body type" on the form... which would probably say "bus" since my conversion hasnt reached the oklahoma threshold for an RV... that being the case, will Vermont deny me a MH reg if the vin verification form shows that? =\
dalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 05:35 PM   #2179
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalez View Post
The previous owner of my bus moved here from Cali where it was registered in his name, but his title was not sent to him. I bought it on bill of sale (and have open comms with him as we sort through the mess) I saw on the Cali DMV website that he is indeed the lawful owner, title or no, and heard the Cali DMV agent tell him there's no reason they cant send him a title, but it will take 1.5-2 months. Even then, I still have to deal with getting Okla to change it to a motorhome, and I want to do that conversion at my house (where I need RV plates to park) vs in storage.

So, am I reading this thread correctly that Vermont will give me a transferrable registration "as good as a title" if I send them my bill of sale, his valid Cali registration, a vin verification, and the correct amount of scratch with that form filled out? And Oklahoma will accept that MH registration and give me a legit OK title?

Vermont will give you MH tags. You don’t need to send in a registration from the previous owner. I have a friend who registered his old blazer without a title in VT. He only had the bill of sale and his payment.
Old 06-07-2022, 05:40 PM   #2180
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird?
Chassis: 26ft Bluebird TC2000
Engine: Cumming 5.9 12v, AT545
Quote:
Vermont will give you MH tags. You don’t need to send in a registration from the previous owner. I have a friend who registered his old blazer without a title in VT. He only had the bill of sale and his payment.
Do I even need to send in a "vin verification" from a ok CHP officer then?
dalez is offline   Reply With Quote