Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2022, 11:25 AM   #2201
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: Thomas Saf-T-Liner
Engine: CAT 3126 / MD3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalez View Post
Finally getting my hands on a valid Cali title from the previous owner today! W00h00! Wanting to get motorhome plates on it ASAP so I can drive it home to convert.

I stumbled across some posts elsewhere that stated that Vermont started requiring VIN verifications for ALL out of state registrations (even with valid out of state title) starting in 2022, can anyone verify one way or the other who's done one this year?

Thanks!!
I'm not too sure myself, but we did a VIN Verification anyways with our bus since we only have the Bill of Sale to send in. Luckily it was an easy deal with the local sheriff's dept.

bb12489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 06:11 PM   #2202
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
If anyone has VERIFIED and WITH SOURCE(S) info on a VIN inspection now being required please let us know so we can modify our video and Blog.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 05:13 PM   #2203
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1994
Chassis: 3600
Engine: dt408
Hi is this still updated (08/23/22)??? Plz and thankyou I need to register my bus but is not converted quite yet and I am in va
BrandinoBeatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 10:19 PM   #2204
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandinoBeatz View Post
Hi is this still updated (08/23/22)??? Plz and thankyou I need to register my bus but is not converted quite yet and I am in va
Yes it's current as of this month.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
Old 08-28-2022, 06:45 PM   #2205

Year: 2009
Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300/PB305
Engine: MaxxForce DT 7.6L
Rated Cap: 69 (seriously)
Talking

I have plates on my 2009 International!

On August 8th I sent:
  • Original PA title
  • Bill of Sale showing sales tax had been paid.
  • Form VD-119 (only one copy)
  • A check for $111 made out to the VT DMV

Certified mail tracking showed my stuff delivered on August 11.
My check was cashed on August 17th.
And on August 26th I received two plates in my mailbox.

I did not send a VIN verification, not required because I had a title and a bill of sale both showing the VIN.

I'm now plated and insured (National General), and very happy. Now just waiting for the title itself to come soon.
BartleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 08:35 PM   #2206
Mini-Skoolie

heck yeah, glad to here it I am sending mine off this week! what is a form VD 119?
Old 08-28-2022, 08:38 PM   #2207
Mini-Skoolie

ALSO should I just copy my title ? or send the original?
Old 08-28-2022, 10:07 PM   #2208

Year: 2009
Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300/PB305
Engine: MaxxForce DT 7.6L
Rated Cap: 69 (seriously)
Quote:
heck yeah, glad to here it I am sending mine off this week! what is a form VD 119?
Form VD 119 is the Vermont Registration & Title Application
VD-119 Vehicle Registration Tax Title PDF
VD-119i Registration Tax Title Instructions PDF

Quote:
Absolutely send the original, I have read where others have not sent the original title just to wait and call the VT DMV to find out that the original is required. I made copies of all my stuff before sealing the originals up in the envelope and sending it certified mail (gets a tracking number and such).
BartleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 03:45 PM   #2209
Mini-Skoolie

Well I figured that it would be about that time to call into the VT DMV and check the status of my application. I sent it via Fedex doc mailer. Showed it was confirmed delivered to the VT DMV on 08/12/22. I haven't seen our check cashed yet.

After being on hold for about 40mins, I was able to talk to a guy that tried searching through every bit of information I could provide to try and located our application. According to him, they either lost it, or never received it. Luckily I took photos, front and back, of the mailer along with a photo of my tracking receipt. He was kind of enough to give me his VT email so I could send this along to him.

So now, the wait is even longer. I may end up having to send everything in again, but time will tell. I'm just confused on how they could lose it when I even wrote in large font on the front of the mailer, "VEHICLE REGISTRATION DOCS".
Old 08-29-2022, 04:07 PM   #2210
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Vista 3600
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 24000 lbs
Quote:
We only sent copies of our stuff
RolesvilleMarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 06:15 PM   #2211
Mini-Skoolie

Thankyou @rolesvillemarina
Old 09-20-2022, 07:02 PM   #2212
Mini-Skoolie

I sent off my title today and my bus is 28 years old but I didn’t do anything in section 7, will I be okay? And also what are some problems people have with doing this if there is any?
Old 09-21-2022, 02:06 PM   #2213
Mini-Skoolie

Just want to update everyone that after a month and a half of waiting, we finally got our VT plates in the mail! We were initially worried when we called the VT DMV and were told that they couldn't locate any of our documents or check. Then this morning, I received a call that I should be receiving our plates within the week. Later this day they showed up in the mail!

We're officially a motorhome, and should be getting our transferable registration later next week!

To recap, we did send in a VIN verification form because the title that came with the bus was never signed by the guy who initially bought it from the school district. This made it an open title and thus the date of purchase on the title would not match up with our bill of sale. So we elected to send our paperwork in without the open title and just the VIN verification form to prove the bus wasn't stolen.
Old 10-31-2022, 08:43 AM   #2214
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
If anyone has VERIFIED and WITH SOURCE(S) info on a VIN inspection now being required please let us know so we can modify our video and Blog.

Check out Bartley's success post ... seems like it's only required when there is no title sent and when applying for a transferable registration.

I am happy to see so many people staying up to date and passing the info on. I just don't have the time anymore. Is there anyone willing to keep this guide current moving forward? Maybe we can get a moderator to unlock the original post...
Old 11-13-2022, 07:46 AM   #2215

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 24V 5.9L CUMMINS
Rated Cap: 80
Good morning all!

I am in the process of titling & tagging my bus, as is everyone else here! However, when I called them to verify tax information, they informed me that I would have to send in a picture for verification that it has in fact been decommissioned (seats are out, and markings on outside of the bus are gone), along with all the other paperwork. On my sales receipt, it says that I paid for the decommission, and I have a picture printed out, but I really was wondering if anyone else has had to submit this?

Thank you for all the replies in advance.
k.towsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 01:22 PM   #2216
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.towsley View Post
Good morning all!

I am in the process of titling & tagging my bus, as is everyone else here! However, when I called them to verify tax information, they informed me that I would have to send in a picture for verification that it has in fact been decommissioned (seats are out, and markings on outside of the bus are gone), along with all the other paperwork. On my sales receipt, it says that I paid for the decommission, and I have a picture printed out, but I really was wondering if anyone else has had to submit this?

I had to send photos to prove to the insurance company that all passenger seats, the stop sign, the crossing arm, and the decals were removed.

Different states and agencies have different requirements. For instance Virginia let me register two buses without any hassle. But when I sold one to a gentleman in Connecticut he had to jump through tons of hoops to get plates, one of the biggest being he had to repaint the bus.
Truthseeker4449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 11:59 AM   #2217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthseeker4449 View Post
I had to send photos to prove to the insurance company that all passenger seats, the stop sign, the crossing arm, and the decals were removed.

Different states and agencies have different requirements. For instance let me register two buses without any hassle. But when I sold one to a gentleman in Connecticut he had to jump through tons of hoops to get plates, one of the biggest being he had to repaint the bus.

Ah yes, I should have put in here that I was using the Vermont Method to do this with. Kansas won't let me register it as a Motor home until it's 100% complete.

When I called Vermont, they said that I must have pictures for proof of decommission and that the seats weren't in there.
Old 11-15-2022, 05:30 AM   #2218
Skoolie

Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Warewolff did an amazing job with this post and with maintaining it, I did what he said down to the letter! I'm very visual so I did find this super helpful as well in terms of laying out the same information already posted in a video format.

https://youtu.be/W2vSaHQybnA

My paperwork all went out November 1st 2022 and I see the check has cleared November 14th 2022, mine is a 2002 Bluebird and I sent them the bill of sale along with a copy of the actual title.

I will update with the outcome when I know but wanted to post this now for a sense of timeline.
TucsonAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 04:00 PM   #2219
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.towsley View Post
Good morning all!

I would go read the VT DMV website and form. We were not required to submit any pictures showing anything. Our motorhome (it's no longer officially a bus) is a 1996 and we were able to provide complete chain of ownership documentation.

It's possible the law has changed post "covid". It's more likely you got a new employee that speaketh from an alternate orifice. Read the regulations and form instructions. Then call the DMV again with the regulations and forms open and if you're told the same thing about pics required ask where that requirement is documented in the regs and/or forms.
Let us know how it goes.
Also, if you fill out your profile info including your bus info it will be easier for people to answer any questions that come up..... and they will during this process.
Old 11-15-2022, 09:14 PM   #2220

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
I would go read the VT DMV website and form. We were not required to submit any pictures showing anything. Our motorhome (it's no longer officially a bus) is a 1996 and we were able to provide complete chain of ownership documentation.

It's possible the law has changed post "covid". It's more likely you got a new employee that speaketh from an alternate orifice. Read the regulations and form instructions. Then call the DMV again with the regulations and forms open and if you're told the same thing about pics required ask where that requirement is documented in the regs and/or forms.
Let us know how it goes.
Also, if you fill out your profile info including your bus info it will be easier for people to answer any questions that come up..... and they will during this process.
Perfect, thank you so much. I will also fill out my profile!!!