Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2022, 06:44 PM   #2221
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonAZ View Post
Warewolff did an amazing job with this post and with maintaining it, I did what he said down to the letter! I'm very visual so I did find this super helpful as well in terms of laying out the same information already posted in a video format.

https://youtu.be/W2vSaHQybnA

My paperwork all went out November 1st 2022 and I see the check has cleared November 14th 2022, mine is a 2002 Bluebird and I sent them the bill of sale along with a copy of the actual title.

I will update with the outcome when I know but wanted to post this now for a sense of timeline.

Just to update, plates came in the mail today along with my original paperwork that had some corrections and a receipt. Hopefully I am now officially a motorhome but I guess I'll see when the registration comes. I saw nothing to make me think that wasn't the case.

TucsonAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 05:02 PM   #2222
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird?
Chassis: 26ft Bluebird TC2000
Engine: Cumming 5.9 12v, AT545
Sent my form 119, a Vt bill of sale filled out by myself and the previous owner, and a copy of the title along with tax and reg fee. Just got the plates and paperwork back today, less than 2 weeks later! Hope there's no problems with the actual registration, as that paperwork didnt come with the plates...
dalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 07:05 AM   #2223
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalez View Post
Sent my form 119, a Vt bill of sale filled out by myself and the previous owner, and a copy of the title along with tax and reg fee. Just got the plates and paperwork back today, less than 2 weeks later! Hope there's no problems with the actual registration, as that paperwork didnt come with the plates...
The plates always come separate. Ours were about a week apart but it also took us 6-8 weeks to get ours (during covid)
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 10:59 PM   #2224
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird?
Chassis: 26ft Bluebird TC2000
Engine: Cumming 5.9 12v, AT545
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalez View Post
Got my registration! W00! Thanks everyone!
dalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 09:44 AM   #2225

Year: 2003
Engine: 24V 5.9L CUMMINS
Rated Cap: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.towsley View Post
Good morning all!

I am in the process of titling & tagging my bus, as is everyone else here! However, when I called them to verify tax information, they informed me that I would have to send in a picture for verification that it has in fact been decommissioned (seats are out, and markings on outside of the bus are gone), along with all the other paperwork. On my sales receipt, it says that I paid for the decommission, and I have a picture printed out, but I really was wondering if anyone else has had to submit this?

Thank you for all the replies in advance.
Sent an required things and it's now done. I have tags and and the registration will be in within the next week. Thank you for all the help. ❤️
k.towsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 03:41 AM   #2226
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonAZ View Post
Just to update, plates came in the mail today along with my original paperwork that had some corrections and a receipt. Hopefully I am now officially a motorhome but I guess I'll see when the registration comes. I saw nothing to make me think that wasn't the case.

To update again, registration with sticker came last week and it is in fact registered as a MH so all is still working just fine it seems. No questions, no picture requests, no troubles. No insurance though either, need to figure that one out without a Vermont address.
TucsonAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 10:26 AM   #2227
Mini-Skoolie

Hi Tucson AZ

I did the same process and registered mine as a MH.
My insurance doesn't want to insure it until the 4/6 required things are done, since it's licensed as a MH.
And I'm no where near done with the build yet.

I took my certified registration to the 3rd party DMV in town and got an az title right after I got the paperwork from Vermont.

I'm also in Tucson.
Good luck.
heliloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 07:59 PM   #2228
Mini-Skoolie

I got my plates 2 weeks ago, and just got the registration back today. I'm not sure what happened, I followed the instructions to the letter, but on the registration it says body is BU (assuming stands for bus), and under the plate number it says "Passenger car or school bus".

Also I had sent in the original title and didn't get anything back? Does that come seperate?

Seems this was a failure for me. Anything else I can do or try?
Beowulf5g6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 09:04 PM   #2229
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf5g6 View Post
I got my plates 2 weeks ago, and just got the registration back today. I'm not sure what happened, I followed the instructions to the letter, but on the registration it says body is BU (assuming stands for bus), and under the plate number it says "Passenger car or school bus".

Also I had sent in the original title and didn't get anything back? Does that come seperate?

Seems this was a failure for me. Anything else I can do or try?

I just had the same thing happen. On the phone they assurred me it is motorhome, but said the computer will only except BU because it was a bus. I am not convinced... I do have an older bus converted , and with Vermont tags, and it does have MH on the registration.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 12:15 AM   #2230
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
I just had the same thing happen. On the phone they assurred me it is motorhome, but said the computer will only except BU because it was a bus. I am not convinced... I do have an older bus converted , and with Vermont tags, and it does have MH on the registration.
Did you ever get a title?
Old 02-09-2023, 04:37 AM   #2231
Bus Crazy

Over 15 years old does not get a title. I sent in a copy of the title, not the original.

On my International I never did have a title it had been lost, but as Vermont is a non title state for older vehicles that was no problem.
Old 02-09-2023, 05:23 PM   #2232
Mini-Skoolie

Mines only 12 years old so I should get a title. I guess I’ll give it another week and then call to see what’s going on.
Old 03-02-2023, 02:48 PM   #2233

Year: 2004
Chassis: Ford E-450
New to the Skoolie world here! We purchased a 2004 Ford E-450, crudely converted skoolie in SW PA. Decided to go the route of VT registration after trying two times at different PA notaries to get help with the registration as a MH.
Followed instructions in this post. Mailed via USPS Priority Mail on 2/28. Heard from VT DMV today that NADA value was higher than what we paid and that we would owe more on taxes than paid. Given option to pay over phone or mail in check. Husband got this phone call and said to mail back and we would mail in new check with updated taxes. (UGH) Was told everything else was good....

Will keep this post updated on how this works out and the turnaround time for anyone else in the same boat.
Kelley’s Junk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 10:41 AM   #2234

GA RE-title after VT t-fer reg

Seeking advice from someone that has:
-a 15+ yo vehicle that was
-already registered and titled in your name in your home state *before*
-achieving VT reg AND
-successfully re-titling in their home state.

WARNING: it is 95% likely that I'm overthinking this and can just do a normal out of state title/reg transfer :'D but I would need to get a officer to inspect it because VT doesn't give titles, so I'm worried they'd push me around about the body type looking like a van even though the out of state reg will say motor home. I could just fill that section out in advance?

I'm in an interesting situation where I ended up with a 1-ton van a year ago, and apparently will not be able to get into Mexico until I retitle my van as an RV/MH due to their new weight restrictions. It is over 15 years old (94 E350), so I will be only receiving a transferable registration.

My hangup: I already have it registered to my name and title to my name in Georgia, as a "van"-- it seems to me that most people here are doing this when they have NOT yet already registered OR titled their vehicle to their name. I want to know if I'm going to be able to *re-title* in Georgia with JUST the VT MH transferrable registration; are they going to find this sketchy I'm asking for a new title/registered in VT completely randomly for virtually "no reason," and is anyone sure of the best forms used? (They don't even allow us to transfer our normal vehicles to RVs WITH conversion inspections here).

I NEED to have MotorHome listed on BOTH the title and the registration. Does anyone know if there's any way to retitle your vehicle in Georgia/home state when you *already* owned the vehicle in Georgia/same state? If it helps any, I will likely be waiting on doing this until my registration is due for renewal anyways to see if that helps. Should I tell them I moved there temporarily and registered it while there, and that I simply want an updated title after moving back? Overall, I'm unsure as to whether they will see it as odd that I need basically a new title, not because I lost it and need a replacement or because it's a new-to-me vehicle, but because I want it changed in a way that they won't change it themselves. Would it be better to just file for a title replacement but use the new registration in the process?

I'm also curious if I should be including the old owner's information on that section in the VD-119, or just duplicate my own/leave it blank, since I've ALREADY completed the VAN registration in GA and the person I purchased it from is no longer involved. Thanks SO MUCH for any of your help!!! I literally bought this van in order to move to Mexico in it, and only found out yesterday about the weight limits for non-RV 3/4 and 1 ton plus vehicles, so I'm reeling a bit here. Hoping the VT option will save me, and maybe this info and my plight will help someone else in the future!!
breezymagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 09:08 PM   #2235

The waiting stinks, though. It sure takes them a while to turn this around. Going on 3 weeks, and they don't have record of even receiving my paperwork. Makes me nervous since I sent them my original title. I have a copy of it at home, but with no title, I feel like I'm in limbo.
Called Vermont today, and they asked whether my check cashed yet? I told them that it had not. The guy on the other end basically said that when you check cashes, that's the first sign that things are moving forward.
UGH... patience, I know.. patience!!
Hawk creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 04:16 PM   #2236
Mini-Skoolie

Hey guys I have a question my bus is a 98 and is fully converted inside and out when I originally bought it I had to register as a bus and got a commercial insurance policy in order to drive it home I’ve continued to pay reg and insurance but would like to have it titled as a motor home and not have to have a commercial insurance policy can I still go thro the VT registration even tho it is currently registered?
Ironworker85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 05:02 PM   #2237
Bus Crazy

You would give up your current registration to register it in Vermont, and cancel the current insurance once it is registered in Vermont and get motorhome insurance.

Vermont does not give titles to over 15 year old vehicles. They do have a page about registering converted school buses on their webpage.
Old 03-30-2023, 09:22 PM   #2238
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks bud so I should cancel my current reg before sending anything to Vermont correct?
Ironworker85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 07:32 AM   #2239
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker85 View Post
Thanks bud so I should cancel my current reg before sending anything to Vermont correct?
There's no reason to cancel your current registration prematurely. Your Vermont registration will supersede it when it comes through.
Old 04-03-2023, 01:57 PM   #2240
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2009
Engine: 6.0 Powerstroke :(
My Bus is a 2009 E450 so I should get a title back. In this case, do I need to register it in VT or only request a Title? I'm planning on using the VT MH title to then register in NY.
BigDaddyO is offline   Reply With Quote