Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2013, 07:50 PM   #1

Coachwork: ????
Chassis: ????
Engine: ????
How to insure my bus to bring it home for conversion?

Hi,
I am new to this forum. I want to buy a bus soon. I live in Louisville, KY and want to buy a bus from the N. Carolina public school surplus site. The hang up I am having as I research this is, "How am I going to get my bus home, if I can't get it insured." I am sure someone on this site has had this issue. I believe I can get a one way trip permit from the State Police to suffice for my registration to get it from point A to point B, but how do I as a private citizen without a CDL get short term insurance just to get my bus home, where I can start converting it into an RV and eventually get it titled as an RV in order to get RV insurance. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

bjones1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:47 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Re: How to insure my bus to bring it home for conversion?

I posted an almost identical question, on this thread:

http://www.skoolie.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15714
stonestatue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:52 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

The general consensus is that GMAC and Good Samaritan are the two preferred insurance companies for bus conversions. I spoke to both and they both said they'll insure your bus so you can drive it home. I was told it doesn't have to have a toilet or stove put in right away (I recorded this phone call if anyone needs solid proof).

As far as tags are concerned, you generally have 30 days from the date on the Bill of Sale to get a tag. I believe the Bill of Sale itself should be sufficient to drive home with.

So call an insurance company like GMAC or Good Sam and get a policy and print out ID cards online, hang on to your Bill of Sale on the way home, and you should be good. Does everyone think that sounds about right or did I leave anything out?
Old 01-10-2013, 01:23 AM   #4

Coachwork: ????
Chassis: ????
Engine: ????

Thank you very much! The thread you provided was very helpful! I appreciate it. This site is awesome!
bjones1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:06 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA360
Rated Cap: 16

I have broad form insurance on myself, i'm covered on anything I drive as long as it's legal to be on the road... The guy I bought my bus from had a 3 day trip permit that wasn't filled out yet that he included with the sale...
dirtygoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: Bluebird
Rated Cap: 16

What if you register it as a commercial vehicle? Then you just get commercial insurance. I think I will do that if I ever get another bus, or had to do it all over again. Then you can do whatever you want for it. It is more expensive than motorhome insurance but it is also easier to get it through the DMV and Insurance Co. I'd imagine...
Old 01-10-2013, 01:08 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

If you register it as a commercial vehicle, you might run into CDL issues. They'll assume you intend to use the vehicle in a capacity for making money or transporting people. In either case, that requires a CDL for a vehicle that large.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:54 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

First get insurance , Next secure a "trip" permit of some kind. Most states take great delight in extracting penalties if you have not covered these bases! Of course government agencies being what they are, no matter what you do--it will have been wrong--just my experience Good luck, Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:17 AM   #9
Bus Geek

My ins(farm beaure) has a policy that "anything" I buy has ins for 72 hours,this covers a fri purchase to cover until Monday.
They even put this in writting for my bus purchase,and I just used the tag the dealer gave me and went with it,50 miles no issues.
If I would of got pulled over (wrong wt tag) I had my ins,a bill of sale/title and I would be nice and play dumb
I also left the local school district on it and just happened to drive it home on a Friday afternoon which means the cops never even looked at me with all the other buses on the road
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote