Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2021, 07:18 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
How to move a partially converted skoolie?

I've found out that I need to move out of the space where I'm currently converting my skoolie at the end of this month. My best option is to bring it to a place we have in the next space where I have enough space to finish the conversion. The thing is, the insurance that I bought to drive it home is only valid for an unmodified school bus, and as I understand it RV insurance requires the build to be complete before you can apply for it. Is there a way to get some sort of temporary permit for one trip? What is the appropriate path here?

skykooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:49 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2013
Chassis: IC RE
Engine: HT570 / 3500SP
Rated Cap: 4
I'd drive it with the "unmodified school bus" insurance.
ABBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:50 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Sounds like you're talking about two different things. Insurance versus licensing. I don't know how far you have to move it but I'd guess you could get away without insurance for a single instance of moving the vehicle. Having it not registered and plated on the other hand, that's a riskier venture in my opinion.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:10 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

I've applied for Vermont plates as an RV, but I did note that the page said they were not valid unless the vehicle was insured. (I drove it home with temporary plates but those have expired by now.) I need to move it about 250 miles.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:50 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1980
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 671T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
Sounds like you're talking about two different things. Insurance versus licensing. I don't know how far you have to move it but I'd guess you could get away without insurance for a single instance of moving the vehicle. Having it not registered and plated on the other hand, that's a riskier venture in my opinion.
My feelings are 180* opposed to yours. I wouldn't risk the drive to the gas station without insurance, but consider proper registration to be optional

250 miles is not a short drive and the potential for an accident without insurance is real. Then your are really screwed, and personally liable for damages. Not something I would consider risking when a commercial for private use policy is $300 for the year.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:02 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Please fill out your profile. It makes it a lot easer to offer help.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:25 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

ok, done.

The bus is not going to look unmodified from the outside - I'm halfway through a roof raise and it needs to be repainted for the VT registration.
Old 05-05-2021, 02:18 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Yes 100% get proper insurance even if expensive short term "commercial for non-commercial use".

Registration much lower importance, the cop who books for that after being shown "proof" it's a once off trip would have to be a real dick.

You aren't POC nor look like a radical hippie, druggie or antifa type right?

Hire a hooah buzz cut veteran to drive it for you with a big US flag mounted off the rear bumper [emoji1787]
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:27 AM   #9
Bus Nut

If it was just a move across town I'd say low risk but 250 miles I wouldn't risk it without insurance and proper registration. People drive without insurance all the time but it's not an issue unless there's an encounter with law enforcement. Driving without registration however (i.e. no plate) is more likely to attract unwanted attention then both become an issue. Plus that length of drive puts you on multiple law enforcement agencies' radar. And if as I understand it the vehicle is visibly modified or in mid-conversion that's just another tik that law enforcement is going to take notice. A plain old yellow school bus wouldn't draw as much attention.
Old 05-05-2021, 11:19 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Where do I get that sort of insurance? I had talked to Progressive but they told me they specifically will not insure school bus conversions.
Old 05-05-2021, 11:51 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Does Penn DOT have moving tags? Most states do. If you have insurance I'd get a temp / moving tag and go.
Old 05-05-2021, 12:40 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by skykooler View Post
Where do I get that sort of insurance? I had talked to Progressive but they told me they specifically will not insure school bus conversions.
https://rv.nationalgeneral.com/other-rvs
Old 05-05-2021, 12:45 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/h...ate-28907.html
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 01:00 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: RE 35'
Rated Cap: 72 passenger
Oregon doesn't require a repaint. Yellow is legal, and states have the law of reciprocity with motor vehicles. For example: You can drive your non California air pollution compliant vehicle in and out of the state as a visitor from another non carb state. Several things are required to go from a school bus title to a motor home title in Oregon. Bus seats out. A kitchen, a bathroom, and a place to sleep. They don't even look at the conversion but a vin inspection would be needed on an out-of-state title. I bought my bus in Oregon, so I didn't have that challenge.
steveningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 03:11 PM   #15

Tow it. Probably cheaper than any other viable short term option and zero liability to you.
azdave85650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 03:12 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtrans
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 84 pas
Quote:
I've found out that I need to move out of the space where I'm currently converting my skoolie at the end of this month. My best option is to bring it to a place we have in the next space where I have enough space to finish the conversion. The thing is, the insurance that I bought to drive it home is only valid for an unmodified school bus, and as I understand it RV insurance requires the build to be complete before you can apply for it. Is there a way to get some sort of temporary permit for one trip? What is the appropriate path here?
If your insurance policy is still in force, there is no problem with coverage on your uncompleted RV conversion. What some insurance companies will tell you is they can ensure your vehicle until it is converted into an RV and you are living in it more than 30 days out of the year. At which point you we'll need to get a new policy written cover the converted RV. Insurance companies do not issue permits. Registration and transportation permits of the domain of the state.
Rock-N-Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 03:16 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: Amtrans
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 84 pas
Quote:
Having stated that the bus conversion is not complete, you are not seeking insurance for a converted bus. Progressive commercial line will insure your private use commercial vehical.
Rock-N-Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 03:26 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-N-Ruth View Post
Progressive commercial line will insure your private use commercial vehical.

This is the key. You need to call Progressive Commercial, which is a different division from the regular Progressive that advertises with Flo and Jamie. Ask for commercial for personal use. Ours costs less than $300/year for liability.
Old 05-12-2021, 04:57 PM   #19
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Eldorado (REV)
Chassis: Chevy Express Cutaway g3500
Engine: Turbo diesel 6.5L
Rated Cap: 14
I have National General on my shuttle bus. They even insured it as an RV before I started my modifications. It is kind of expensive for me because my passenger mirror fell off and I was driving a few blocks to the dealer to replace the mirror when I bumped the tail light of a small car I didn't see. My shuttle bus is currently licensed in OK as a non-commercial bus. I can change it to RV when I have met the requirements which include a permanent toilet.
Sharee100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 05:53 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I have Allstate RV insurance (liability-only) on my bus, and I got this policy right at the beginning before I'd done any conversion work. Allstate was aware that my bus is not converted yet; the only issue you might have is that I had to send them pictures of the bus, and if you're halfway through a roof raise that might not look too good to them. If you have some pics from before you started the raise, that would be best.

I'm also in PA - I can send you my local agent's contact info if you like.