Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2019, 09:24 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I wonder if those who got canceled early were on monthly payment plans, and they didn't cancel mine because I paid the year up front. I was going to do a monthly plan until he told me how much the year was, $171. I said pay it in full.

o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:31 AM   #22
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightond View Post
Hello. Hoping someone can clarify a couple things concerning Title and Registration!

We bought a 95 Bluebird. It is Titled as a "Bus" in the state of Arizona.

We registered this last year in Vermont and have Vermont tags. Vermont will not give a new title because the bus is more than 15 years old.

I now want to get the bus insured but am finding out that because the Bus is titled as a Bus I will need commercial insurance (not an option!)

QUESTION....Can I retitle this as a Motor Home/RV in another state? Do I have to do this in my current state (Maryland) even though I don't intend on staying in this state?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!

I'd find out from the insurance company what the problem is - is it the way it's titled, or the way its registered. I don't think the insurance cares directly about the title (the piece of paper) as they do what it's registered as. If you, the insurance company, and the state of Vermont all agree its a motorhome, you might be all set. (Think about it - it's not silly expecting the insurance coverage to match the registration type.)

I would call up the folks in Vermont, and get the registration changed to a motorhome. It was easy enough to register it in the first place, I'd think there should be an easy way to change it.

That could be enough to get insurance on it, or take the registration and "transferable title" (that now says motorhome), and register it in a different state that will issue you a title as a motorhome - then you're all set.
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:32 AM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird
drive it to Alabama, register it here with my address, in and out in under 30 minutes - I will hook you up my insurance guy too. Seems like tag and title were $130. Might be cost effective to drive from Vermont?
Old 05-04-2019, 05:47 PM   #24
Bus Nut

We added a sink, couch, bed, curtains, stove and carpet runner. DMV official came to the door stuck her head in and and said “Yep, it’s a motor home”. She didn’t even go up the steps and look at it. She saw the counter and sink and that was good. My commercial truck insurance at $300/ month as a commercial bus went to $40/month as an RV.
Dirtdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:22 PM   #25
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9/AT
Rated Cap: 2 adults, 2 dogs
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightond View Post
So what Ive heard from both my Erie rep (use them for business) and my AllState rep (use for personal home/car) is that the Title is showing the need for a "commercial" policy.

They do not have any commercial policies for me though so basically they are saying I can't insure it

Does anyone know if I can have the Title changed in AZ (current title) from the LLC that I purchased from to my personal info? Would that make a difference?

Feeling a bit distressed...

I just titled mine in AZ. First they would only change the title name, it remained a commercial vehicle. T o change the title to my name I had to have a "level 1" inspection where they just verified the VIN. The inspector told me it was more to prove the vehicle was in the state. On one of the threads there was the MVD paperwork for AZ motor home conversion. Again 4 of the 6 items had to be complete. Once I got them in I contacted National General and sent them some pictures and had insurance less than 24hrs later. They did tell me they had a plan for incomplete conversions so people can drive them while converting but mine passed their requirements and was insured as an RV. Then I had to have it inspected (level 3) by DOT cops. They came in and verified it met the minimal criteria, signed some papers and printed out my new title as an RV. To title yours in AZ it seems like a lot of hoops to jump through from that far away.
AZHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:27 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
National General is the way to go. I have used them for 2 skoolies and my son has his Crown Supercoach rv conversion with them also. As to procedures at MVD every state is different. And in New Mexico they change their procedures at will. Every time I went down to MVD it was different. I recommend National General.
s2mikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 12:57 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
For everyone with National General, what requirements are they looking for specifically when you email them pictures of your bus? I told the lady who sent me her email to send the pictures to that it's in the shop for a few days getting serviced and gone over by a mechanic (which is true), but she never offered what exactly she needed to see in the pictures.

I don't want to call back to ask only to get jinxed!

Thanks!
BigSkyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 02:04 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSkyWren View Post
For everyone with National General, what requirements are they looking for specifically when you email them pictures of your bus? I told the lady who sent me her email to send the pictures to that it's in the shop for a few days getting serviced and gone over by a mechanic (which is true), but she never offered what exactly she needed to see in the pictures.

I don't want to call back to ask only to get jinxed!

Thanks!
What they are looking for is that 4 of 6 requirements have been met. Any 4 of the following 6 will qualify as an RV.

Cooking appliance with onboard fuel source
Gas or electric fridge
Toilet with exterior evac
Heat/AC with power other than engine
Potable (drinkable) water supply
110v power supply
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:32 PM   #29
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9/AT
Rated Cap: 2 adults, 2 dogs
For mine they wanted pics front to back and back to front. Kitchen area, bathroom area, bed, and a common living area they defined as a table with chairs or a couch. Outside all 4 sides and a picture specific where the stop sign was removed. If you go to the intro threads and look for Daisy the bus I put most of the pics I sent there. I didn't have to get detailed into plumbing, electrical or gas for National General. Any questions feel free to PM me and I can forward the exact pics I used.
AZHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:15 PM   #30

Year: 2004
Chassis: Huh?? Yeah I dunno
Engine: CAT 3126
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Rescuer View Post
I am not sure how tough Arizona is - but Florida was easy to title as a MH (motorhome) - and I use Allstate for my MH insurance. Neither required pictures. DMV just required a signed statement that it had electricity, water, toilet.
Insurance did not ask for any pictures (I did have two agents say they don't insure skoolies - but the third said no problem) - I was upfront with what it was - and the agent follows me on instagram. I only have liability insurance - so I am not worried about claims if I blow the bus up - only if I run someone over. Which, driving through some cities, is possible with the way people drive and don't pay attention.
I've never looked for full coverage - or what that might entail.
Good Sam's will also insure Skoolies - but I am not sure what that process may be pre-titled as a MH. I got a quote and it was higher than Allstate.
Every state is a little different - as is every agent - but calling around - and being upfront and honest will help. You sometimes have to call several different agents or companies.

I've only heard rumors of some companies straight denying insurance for a Skoolies - but I don't believe rumors. I've heard some people denied, some dropped, but an all out ban on insuring skoolies? Without know all factors on a situation, it's hard to form an intelligent opinion.
Hello
I live in Florida and I just purchased a bus. Are you able to tell me if there was a form that you filled out to get your bus titled as an RV? If not how did you do it? I just received a warning from code enforcement because someone called no doubt.
Gayliemae32 is offline   Reply With Quote