Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2019, 10:08 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Engine: 12 valve 8.3L Cummins
How to retitle bus to motor home

Hello. Hoping someone can clarify a couple things concerning Title and Registration!

We bought a 95 Bluebird. It is Titled as a "Bus" in the state of Arizona.

We registered this last year in Vermont and have Vermont tags. Vermont will not give a new title because the bus is more than 15 years old.

I now want to get the bus insured but am finding out that because the Bus is titled as a Bus I will need commercial insurance (not an option!)

QUESTION....Can I retitle this as a Motor Home/RV in another state? Do I have to do this in my current state (Maryland) even though I don't intend on staying in this state?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!

brightond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 10:14 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Me
Chassis: 2001 IC
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 72
Had no issues in Indiana. They want to see pics of items that pertained to a rv, police man came to verify. Took that form to the BMV and done.
Ciscokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 10:26 AM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Chassis: AmTran
Rated Cap: 54
Im in Indiana and i had luck retitling as RV in vermont (my bus is also >15 years old so i didnt get a title) but it took a few trips to a few different BMV centers until i found someone willing to transfer the title back no questions asked...
eethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:33 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightond View Post
Hello. Hoping someone can clarify a couple things concerning Title and Registration!

We registered this last year in Vermont and have Vermont tags. Vermont will not give a new title because the bus is more than 15 years old.

I now want to get the bus insured but am finding out that because the Bus is titled as a Bus I will need commercial insurance (not an option!)

QUESTION....Can I retitle this as a Motor Home/RV in another state? Do I have to do this in my current state (Maryland) even though I don't intend on staying in this state?

No matter what you title it as, your insurance will want to see a completed conversion of at least 4 of the 6 requirements in order for them to insure it as such. In my case I was able to secure a liability policy for way cheaper than RV coverage will cost. You can retitle in any state (may be a few exceptions) as an RV once it is an RV. Some have gotten the DMV paperwork done without an inspection, then have trouble getting insurance because it's not an RV yet.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:38 AM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Chassis: AmTran
Rated Cap: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
No matter what you title it as, your insurance will want to see a completed conversion of at least 4 of the 6 requirements in order for them to insure it as such. In my case I was able to secure a liability policy for way cheaper than RV coverage will cost. You can retitle in any state (may be a few exceptions) as an RV once it is an RV. Some have gotten the DMV paperwork done without an inspection, then have trouble getting insurance because it's not an RV yet.

mine didnt, but i think them not asking for proof of conversion is fairly far and few between. (local place through progressive)
eethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:51 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by eethan View Post
mine didnt, but i think them not asking for proof of conversion is fairly far and few between. (local place through progressive)
If you have coverage through Progressive, start looking for a new company. Progressive will no longer insure converted school buses. They won't cancel existing policies, but won't renew. The DMV places not asking for proof seem to be many and often. Getting it by the insurance company is another issue you won't get by on. If you do and have an accident you will find them denying the claim.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:25 PM   #7
Bus Geek

No one statement applies to all states.

Agents with RV / DIY trailer experience can help **a lot** even with companies that say no way when you call them direct.

Again, the **insurance** process not just title / registration, varies **hugely** from one state to the next.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 02:27 PM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Me
Chassis: 2001 IC
Rated Cap: 72
State farm is the place to go. I have a large woodstove in ours and not even a question about it. Does help if you already have a policy with them prior adding your new RV
Ciscokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 03:01 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciscokid View Post
State farm is the place to go. I have a large woodstove in ours and not even a question about it. Does help if you already have a policy with them prior adding your new RV
Surprisingly as much as I stand behind them for their coverage, they were extremely high for a quote on mine as an RV. I have all my insurance with them for the last 30+ years with no claims, clean driving record. I doubt I will use them for the RV.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:03 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Maybe this is a stupid question...

If the bus is Titled in AZ and Registered in VT can I get it insured in one of those states without changing anything?
Old 04-26-2019, 03:13 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Maybe this is a stupid question...

If the bus is Titled in AZ and Registered in VT can I get it insured in one of those states without changing anything?
You'll most likely have to purchase insurance in the state the vehicle is housed in.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:46 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciscokid View Post
State farm is the place to go. I have a large woodstove in ours and not even a question about it.
Do they know about the woodstove?
Old 04-26-2019, 03:50 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Do they know about the woodstove?
Before I decided to go with a diesel heater instead of the wood stove I checked with State Farm about the stove. He told me if it was professionally installed to code, they would not say anything about the stove. But if a claim is related to the stove it wouldn't be covered.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:27 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Quote:

Not sure on this but I do believe that current tags and registration in Vermont make the title obsolete.

There are times Vermont can do a title over 15 years. I do not remember the specifics, but do remember there is a way.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 04:39 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
Not sure on this but I do believe that current tags and registration in Vermont make the title obsolete.

There are times Vermont can do a title over 15 years. I do not remember the specifics, but do remember there is a way.

I wonder if it's like here in Ga. Vehicles between 1963 and 1985 will have a titled issued if you present the valid title signed over to you when transferring. If the vehicle is registered in a name other than the titled owner, or you don't have title, they will register but not provide a title.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:54 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
He told me if it was professionally installed to code, they would not say anything about the stove. But if a claim is related to the stove it wouldn't be covered.
Fair enough
Old 04-30-2019, 08:17 AM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

So what Ive heard from both my Erie rep (use them for business) and my AllState rep (use for personal home/car) is that the Title is showing the need for a "commercial" policy.

They do not have any commercial policies for me though so basically they are saying I can't insure it

Does anyone know if I can have the Title changed in AZ (current title) from the LLC that I purchased from to my personal info? Would that make a difference?

Feeling a bit distressed...
Old 04-30-2019, 09:55 AM   #18
Bus Geek

Before seeking heroic measures, try looking for other agents, ideally specializing in campers / RVs with DIY conversion experience.

A new thread **with your state in the topic title**, maybe posted across several relevant forums, websites, social media groups etc may get you a good referral.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:15 AM   #19
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
I am not sure how tough Arizona is - but Florida was easy to title as a MH (motorhome) - and I use Allstate for my MH insurance. Neither required pictures. DMV just required a signed statement that it had electricity, water, toilet.
Insurance did not ask for any pictures (I did have two agents say they don't insure skoolies - but the third said no problem) - I was upfront with what it was - and the agent follows me on instagram. I only have liability insurance - so I am not worried about claims if I blow the bus up - only if I run someone over. Which, driving through some cities, is possible with the way people drive and don't pay attention.
I've never looked for full coverage - or what that might entail.
Good Sam's will also insure Skoolies - but I am not sure what that process may be pre-titled as a MH. I got a quote and it was higher than Allstate.
Every state is a little different - as is every agent - but calling around - and being upfront and honest will help. You sometimes have to call several different agents or companies.

I've only heard rumors of some companies straight denying insurance for a Skoolies - but I don't believe rumors. I've heard some people denied, some dropped, but an all out ban on insuring skoolies? Without know all factors on a situation, it's hard to form an intelligent opinion.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:52 PM   #20
Bus Geek

And people / vehicles flat-out denied when communicating with the insurance company directly

sometimes get success calling back in talking to a different rep.

Sometimes accepted, then kicked off in the middle of the coverage period.

Best to work with an agent, sometimes the underwriters' relationship with an agent makes all the difference.

I've heard of the buildout being thoroughly documented in an online thread has convinced an agent to go the extra mile, keep a paper journal, all receipts and photos.

Getting comprehensive with an agreed replacement value and slow depreciation schedule is the ultimate challenge, makes liability only look like a cakewalk.

AND EVERYTHING IS DIFFERENT FROM ONE STATE TO THE NEXT, even with the same insurance company, and the same agent!