Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2020, 09:57 AM   #41
Bus Geek

relevant thread https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/is-insurance-difficult-because-it-is-a-conversion-a-bus-or-as-school-bus-33010-post405928.html

john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 10:08 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I have full coverage for $303/yr through State Farm. No inspection, no pics, no problems.
And who is your agent?
Carolyn yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 12:59 PM   #43
Mini-Skoolie

Found a great skoolie insurance agent in California

He said it's becoming his specialty - he helps skoolie people all over the state. Insured my new bus as an rv no problem and sold me roadside assistance as well.

Joe Lehr
707-546-3700
jaytay777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 06:34 PM   #44
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
I talked with several insurance companies today. I'm going with the full disclosure honest approach. Fortunately, I am in AZ and there are a ton of RVs already here.

I've been saying that my conversion isn't done, but it's a converted school bus, non-professional build, and I plan to live in it full time, which are all true. I am planning on having it registered in AZ which is where I am at, and where I plan to have as my mailbox address (with a family member).

After talking with Progressive (regected at the website), Allstate (rejected for school bus) and Farm Bureau Insurance (rejected for "full-time status"), I was directed by the latter to try "Foremost Insurance" which is a brand of Farmer's insurance. I found a local agent and gave her the full story, and she made it sound like everything will be fine. Once my bus is properly registered then I'll get insurance.

Wish me luck, and if it works, I am in full support of the "Tell the truth, and call a local agent" approach.
ManDogBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 11:00 PM   #45
Bus Geek

Please post that agent's contact info in a thread whose title contains the states in which they are licensed to operate.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 05:12 PM   #46
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cat C7 300/800
Rated Cap: 31
I dont know if this thread is still active. Im 95% dont w my conversion and slowly starting to look around for liability only insurance. Im out of IL but also have property in TN.

So far only called AIS RV division and they stopped coverying self remodeled school busses.

AIS
https://www.aisinsurance.com/insurance/recreational/rv
6sep, filled out on line request for quote
Stacy: 866 520 7335 x78207
Got callback they DO NOT cover self remodeled buses anymore.
Peterjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 05:45 PM   #47
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Calling or emailing an actual agent seems to work better than calling the overall company. The call center people for farmers, allstate, etc, will just give you a response that they found on their website or some other boilerplate response. When talking to actual agents, in my experience, they know more about special case policies and how to make it work out. There is a possibility that an agent might sell you a policy that won't actually cover you when the time comes to use it, so you will need to fully read and understand everything before agreeing. There are unfortunately lots of con-artists in the world who mainly are worried about increasing their own profits/portfolio.

Separately, if anyone is needing to talk to an insurance person in Arizona, you can try my agent's info.
Elizabeth Brader- Farmer's insurance (Tucson, Arizona) (520) 323-5076
I am not currently insured since my bus is not currently ready, but I was convinced she could set that up once my vehicle is fully ready.
ManDogBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 06:53 PM   #48
Bus Nut

TY
Ill call Elizabeth, maybe she'll have a recommendation.
Old 09-09-2022, 01:19 PM   #49
Bus Nut

BTW, I did finally call Elizabeth, she was very nice to speak with, but has never insured a converted schoolie, as I understood her. She will look around for me to see who might in Illinois.

I now see what you mentioned "I am not currently insured since my bus is not currently ready, but I was convinced she could set that up" . Well, you might be surprised when she says she cant do that.

Cheers