Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2019, 07:52 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: MBE 906
Rated Cap: 72
since 1939 the National School Bus Chrome yellow has been required, it was put into effect by the National School Bus Congress. That is why some states are so hard core about painting it a different color, after being purchased by a private owner.

schoolbuscraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 08:04 PM   #22
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Eldorado (REV)
Chassis: Chevy Express Cutaway g3500
Engine: Turbo diesel 6.5L
Rated Cap: 14
AAA does registration. Some Insurance Companies do it. Orange County, CA.
Sharee100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:25 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
I wonder what the CHP would make of all the preserved and restored old Crowns and Gilligs that are driven on public roads in California, especially when the Pacific Bus Museum in NorCal has its annual Open House and lots of yellow buses take to the roads near there? There's even a preserved early Crown that is regularly shown at Hershey PA and driven around there, and it still says Yosemite Union High School District on its sides*. I think a LEO is having either a very crappy day or has nothing better to do if he/she pulls over an ex-school bus only because it's still yellow.

Some years ago where I work we still had two old International 1700 school buses (we were our own school district with our own buses, drivers, 45-day checks, etc.), and when the local CHP made their annual inspection he told us they would need to be repainted or taken out of service because their paint was so faded! He said it was no longer truly school bus yellow - it was a canary yellow at that point. So, if you can prove that your bus's yellow is not NSBY, then technically you're off the hook. I remember reading a while ago about the actual color code or spectrum number that NSBY is, so a slightly different yellow should therefore be legal?

John

*Here's that bus, sounding and looking great after more than half a century:
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:39 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird, Collins
Chassis: G30 Bluebird Microbird, E350 Shuttle Bus
Engine: 1995 Chevrolet 350, 1992 Ford 460
A ex school bus could have a “truth window” similar to what I’ve seen on straw bale houses. A small lid that opens showing that yes it is straw inside. But in this case it opens to show steel or aluminum and yellow. Not sticks and staples lol.
I didn’t know about the bus museum. Cool, that might be on my route. Thanks
Doktari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:42 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Cummins ISC 260HP/660Q/MD3060 6spd
Rated Cap: 81
I don’t know if it’s just me but this “yellow” looks more orange than anything. When I was registering mine they said it couldn’t be yellow so I said it’s not yellow, it’s orange. They changed it in the computer and away I went. Now it’s white on the top half and “orange” on the bottom; I haven’t had any problems anywhere including 2 border crossings. The last of the school bus color will hopefully be gone soon.
Bon Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:45 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

Here's what Wikipedia says about NSBY, including its actual color coordinates: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_bus_yellow If you can prove that your bus's yellow is not NSBY, does that make it OK?

John
Old 09-08-2019, 08:14 AM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
I wonder what the CHP would make of all the preserved and restored old Crowns and Gilligs that are driven on public roads in California, especially when the Pacific Bus Museum in NorCal has its annual Open House and lots of yellow buses take to the roads near there? There's even a preserved early Crown that is regularly shown at Hershey PA and driven around there, and it still says Yosemite Union High School District on its sides*. I think a LEO is having either a very crappy day or has nothing better to do if he/she pulls over an ex-school bus only because it's still yellow.

Some years ago where I work we still had two old International 1700 school buses (we were our own school district with our own buses, drivers, 45-day checks, etc.), and when the local CHP made their annual inspection he told us they would need to be repainted or taken out of service because their paint was so faded! He said it was no longer truly school bus yellow - it was a canary yellow at that point. So, if you can prove that your bus's yellow is not NSBY, then technically you're off the hook. I remember reading a while ago about the actual color code or spectrum number that NSBY is, so a slightly different yellow should therefore be legal?

John

*Here's that bus, sounding and looking great after more than half a century:

in a lot of states historical vehicles are given a Pass.. esp if they have historical plates on them.. from what ive seen a lot of the busses that make the treks to the Big bus events (evansville in 2017, the spring fling in hershey... soon blytheville ar) etc.. are historical.. while some are converted, most of the school busses are close to original with seats... they dont look like Hippy-campers. and yes LEO Loves to pick on self-converted busses thats a fact.. sorry to say its just true..

Historical vehicles get a pass on many color / equipment / etc restrictions.. there are people in ohio driving around fully functional, all original police cars.. yeah everything works including the radar guns, sirens, lights, etc.. they are historical and these guys drives these cars all over the place..

Click image for larger version

Name:	old-police-cars.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	386.8 KB
ID:	37263

many of our busses here on skoolie arent historical and they are not registered as such and they dont look historic (like an obvious crown or Superior or scenicruiser)...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:31 AM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: International
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 78
I have a 40’er. Mine is registered as a Motor Home in Texas and it still costs me in the neighborhood of $230.00 per year for registration ������
Old 09-08-2019, 12:38 PM   #29
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
Here's what Wikipedia says about NSBY, including its actual color coordinates: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_bus_yellow If you can prove that your bus's yellow is not NSBY, does that make it OK?

John
You'll need to read the fine print for your state. Some states say it can not be any shade of Yellow.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:50 AM   #30
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
You'll need to read the fine print for your state. Some states say it can not be any shade of Yellow.
And how exactly do those states define "yellow"?! I'd be very curious if they use specific color spectrum numbers in their vehicle code or not - if not, then that's how lawyers make their money!

A while ago I was following a bright yellow bus on I-5; I'm guessing it was a charter or tour bus, and it was a late-model MCI, maybe a DL or E series. I assume that bus was "legal". Maybe that's why so many NSBY ex-school buses are still on the road, at least here in CA - LEO agencies know that the laws are so loosely worded and poorly defined that it would be difficult for their cases to prevail in court.

John
Old 09-09-2019, 09:58 AM   #31
Bus Geek

Or they just don't care?

I think the intention is to prevent deception and confusion.

If it clearly does not look like an active school bus anymore, less likely to get problems.

Unless LEO feels like messing with you, which does happen sometimes. . .
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:09 AM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: International
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 78
[QUOTE=Iceni John Maybe that's why so many NSBY ex-school buses are still on the road, at least here in CA - LEO agencies know that the laws are so loosely worded and poorly defined that it would be difficult for their cases to prevail in court.

John[/QUOTE]

They would most likely target a Skoolie with OOS tags thinking that they probably won’t stick around to fight it
BriteLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:26 AM   #33
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
I wonder how reciprocity plays with bus color?

Drivers license privileges granted by your home state are honored by other states when you visit.

Trailer /vehicle length laws don't play that way.. If you drive your, WA plated and WA legal, 68' long rig in MD you. May face the choice of dropping the trailer or getting a ticket.....

Will states with "no yellow on private buses" hassle those of us from states that allow yellow on private buses when we visit?
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:38 AM   #34
Bus Geek

That's probably why they set the regs at the federal level.

I doubt if states actually explicitly **allow** it in their law as written, more like just lower diligence about enforcement

and if there's a conflict with the fed reg, it is overridden soon as you're in interstate commerce.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:26 AM   #35
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
That's probably why they set the regs at the federal level.

I doubt if states actually explicitly **allow** it in their law as written, more like just lower diligence about enforcement

and if there's a conflict with the fed reg, it is overridden soon as you're in interstate commerce.

Maybe it is another case of states not wanting to spend $$ enforcing Federal laws?
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:21 AM   #36
Bus Geek

Can anyone point to the USC that says my private bus cannot stay yellow?

I have not been able to find anything.......
Old 09-11-2019, 09:17 AM   #37
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9/AT
Rated Cap: 2 adults, 2 dogs
AZ has provisions stating it can't be "school bus yellow" unless it is a school bus. I know Cali does too. In Arizona they don't enforce it when u make the tittle switch, they didn't even look to see if the lights and sign was still on. But if it's on the books some one will eventually cite it. My understanding most states require a color change
AZHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:18 AM   #38
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZHippie View Post
AZ has provisions stating it can't be "school bus yellow" unless it is a school bus. I know Cali does too. In Arizona they don't enforce it when u make the tittle switch, they didn't even look to see if the lights and sign was still on. But if it's on the books some one will eventually cite it. My understanding most states require a color change
I have seen a number of states that have restrictions on school bus yellow. The previous poster indicated that it is a Federal law. I have been unable to find anything in USC that speaks to that.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:21 AM   #39
Bus Geek

DOT regulations?
Old 09-11-2019, 10:28 AM   #40
Bus Geek