Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2020, 11:30 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldyeller View Post
To continue my story. I just got a quote from Allstate in New Jersey by calling Kelly Newsome. The quote is for my primary vehicle (2004 Expedition) and the bus. It looks like it'll come at around $2000 per year for liability on both vehicles. I don't have time right now to delve into the details but wanted to report on what I just got. More later as I discuss it with the agent.
That sounds steep, what is your driving record like. I pay State Farm $127/month for full coverage on the bus and liability on the MIata and the Dakota. I just switched it to full coverage on the Miata and liability on the bus and Dakota with no rate change. Didn't realize I had full coverage on the bus while it sits in the driveway.
State Farm surprised me when I found out I had full coverage. I asked about changing it to the Miata. They said I had one month to go on the policy. If I added the Miata they would have to charge the difference for the past year, but if I changed the bus to liability now, they would reimburse the the difference from the year. So I dropped the full on the bus and got a rebate, and waited till the end of the month to add the full to the Miata. State Farm has been the best insurance company I've dealt with in 50 years of driving.

Old 09-15-2020, 06:28 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 27,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
That sounds steep, what is your driving record like. I pay State Farm $127/month for full coverage on the bus and liability on the MIata and the Dakota. I just switched it to full coverage on the Miata and liability on the bus and Dakota with no rate change. Didn't realize I had full coverage on the bus while it sits in the driveway.
State Farm surprised me when I found out I had full coverage. I asked about changing it to the Miata. They said I had one month to go on the policy. If I added the Miata they would have to charge the difference for the past year, but if I changed the bus to liability now, they would reimburse the the difference from the year. So I dropped the full on the bus and got a rebate, and waited till the end of the month to add the full to the Miata. State Farm has been the best insurance company I've dealt with in 50 years of driving.
It's New Jersey, do I have to say more? I don't have tickets, I don't have accidents, I'm old and I have old vehicles -- it's just New Jersey.
Oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:34 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Here's a picture of the last patch for the rear cap. I laid the gutter section in place so you can see what will happen there. Once my friend gets it welded in place I'll do the final screw in, cinch the rear cap down and call it done - except for some odds and ends I have to take care of.

Anyone know why some pictures uploaded rotate? This picture was taken vertically in the camera but, for some reason, it uploaded into the forum rotated counter clockwise.
Attached Thumbnails
20200915_161212.jpg  
Old 09-16-2020, 01:44 AM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Musigenisis can give you details on how to do it ... but if you convert the .jpg images into .png images you can position the images any way you want and they stay that way.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 05:26 PM   #25
Almost There

Year: 1994
Coachwork: N/A
Chassis: Chevy C30
Engine: 7.4L gas
Rated Cap: 14,000lbs
Registering, Titling and Insurance, oh my.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
Contact Kelly Newsome with Allstate (352-326-9300 KellyNewsome1@allstate.com). Kelly knows skoolies and can write in many states. For those she can not write in, she has agent/contacts to serve you.
So I've been talking to Kelly and she did get back to me very quickly but she advised me not to register my rig in Vermont because she said it's very difficult to get insured there. But I'm not there, I'm (currently) in Oregon and actually have no fixed address now.. so I'm seeking some advice.

She said title it there but register in Oregon.. but I didn't realise that those were different things (I'm British and the system here in the states can sometimes be pretty confusing to us foreigners).

I thought the point of registering in Vermont is that it's easy to register a commercial vehicle one is converting as an RV, whereas in other states you may have to jump through a lot of hoops - it hadn't actually occurred to me that you have to be insured there too - is this actually the case?

Can anyone advise? And especially if anyone is in Oregon and has a Vermont-registered skoolie and has found great insurance, I would be forever grateful to hear where you got it!
ladybird_bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 07:34 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtrans
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 84 pas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybird_bus View Post
So I've been talking to Kelly and she did get back to me very quickly but she advised me not to register my rig in Vermont because she said it's very difficult to get insured there. But I'm not there, I'm (currently) in Oregon and actually have no fixed address now.. so I'm seeking some advice.

She said title it there but register in Oregon.. but I didn't realise that those were different things (I'm British and the system here in the states can sometimes be pretty confusing to us foreigners).

I thought the point of registering in Vermont is that it's easy to register a commercial vehicle one is converting as an RV, whereas in other states you may have to jump through a lot of hoops - it hadn't actually occurred to me that you have to be insured there too - is this actually the case?

Can anyone advise? And especially if anyone is in Oregon and has a Vermont-registered skoolie and has found great insurance, I would be forever grateful to hear where you got it!
Insurance is based on the state in which you park it. We are currently registered in Vermont and we live in New Mexico. Are Vermont registration has our New Mexico address on it. Our insurance company doesn't ask us where is the vehicle registered they asked where do you park. You are just fine to register in Vermont and get your insurance in Oregon. If you insure as commercial for private use you can get liability insurance through Progressive at a reasonable price.
Rock-N-Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 07:43 PM   #27
Almost There

Year: 1994
Coachwork: N/A
Chassis: Chevy C30
Engine: 7.4L gas
Rated Cap: 14,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-N-Ruth View Post
Insurance is based on the state in which you park it. We are currently registered in Vermont and we live in New Mexico. Are Vermont registration has our New Mexico address on it. Our insurance company doesn't ask us where is the vehicle registered they asked where do you park. You are just fine to register in Vermont and get your insurance in Oregon. If you insure as commercial for private use you can get liability insurance through Progressive at a reasonable price.

Thanks for chiming in! That's what I had been assuming - but then Kelly said otherwise and she is mentioned so often here and on FB Skoolie groups as the go-to person I thought "she must be right". Now I'm just confused as to why she would say so - particularly since insurance is her thing.
ladybird_bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 03:27 AM   #28
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtrans
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 84 pas
Quote:
Thanks for chiming in! That's what I had been assuming - but then Kelly said otherwise and she is mentioned so often here and on FB Skoolie groups as the go-to person I thought "she must be right". Now I'm just confused as to why she would say so - particularly since insurance is her thing.
You are welcome. I don't know why Kelly views it that way. I have been buying, selling, driving all kinds of vehicles for forty +years in numerous states. I have found that I get what I need by avoiding agents and taking the time to communicate with insurance companies directly.
Call some insurance companies and tell them what you currently have. No need to go into detail about your plans with the bus. You'll gave plenty of time to iron out insurance on the completed build while you are doing it. Right now you need viable insurance for your unconverted bus. As I mentioned earliar, Progressive commercial lives will get you a good liability policy for private commercial use very reasonable. Everyone has opinions. Some may be right. But at the end of the day you just want to get er done. I have insured hundreds of vehicles and have never been asked what state is it registered in. They want to know where it is. And where it resides.
Rock-N-Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 11:30 AM   #29
Bus Nut

Quote:

I was surprised to see activity in this thread again but I guess I shouldn't have been. I posted it to maybe help folks that came after me and I guess it did so - success.

What Rock-N-Ruth said. I can elaborate a bit which you might find useful. I got mine registered in Vermont as you see from this thread. It wasn't a big deal, you just have to be careful to cross the T's and dot the I's in the forms. I got my registration and plates and then I learned what Rock-N-Ruth said I needed to find insurance in my state.

In my case Kelly put me in touch with an agent in New Jersey. It wouldn't have been a big deal after that for me if it weren't for the requirements for insuring a bus in NJ. When I was finalizing the insurance the agent told me I'd 'have to' or 'might have to' take the bus for an inspection. In NJ (and other states as well) a bus has to meet certain criteria to be considered an RV, things like permanent kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, some others. At the time I was just finishing the shortening of my bus and I had planned to leave for Florida with the bus and finish all that stuff over the winter. That put the kabosh on my plans for last year. In your case you'll also have to meet whatever criteria required on Oregon for insuring a bus converted to an RV - if there are any.

Not sure you're interested, but if you have no fixed address you could establish permanent residence in one of several states that would take care of a lot of issues in one fell swoop. There are threads here that discuss this subject. If I recall correctly South Dakota is one of the big states for this service and it IS a service, companies sell themselves by providing such services to full time RVers - permanent address, mail handling, vehicle insurance, etc. Were I in your shoes I'd likely end up taking that approach sooner rather than later. I've been snow birding this winter and the USPS's mail forwarding service is kind of a joke. If I get things forwarded at all it takes a couple weeks to arrive beyond what it SHOULD have taken to get to my home address in NJ.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:58 AM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Freightliner
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
Contact Kelly Newsome with Allstate (352-326-9300 KellyNewsome1@allstate.com). Kelly knows skoolies and can write in many states. For those she can not write in, she has agent/contacts to serve you.
she just hooked me up with her MI rep last week. ill be going bare bone policy for about $450 a year

2002 Freightliner FS65 30’
2mchprssr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 01:58 PM   #31
Bus Geek

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f9/a-place-for-my-head-a-place-for-my-mail-and-a-place-for-my-bus-33738.html#post413912

SD is for rich people tax avoidance, overkill.

Florida or Texas is better for normal legal domicile issues for nomads
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote