Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2017, 11:39 AM   #21
Almost There

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5,9 12V
Rated Cap: 24 seats, 3 wheelchairs
So I went the Commercial for Personal Use route and VOILA! I am insured. I explained to the State Farm agency that was already working on my RV policy that this is what folks are doing while they are in the process of converting. He said he'd check it out and an hour later he had a policy for me - no questions asked. This is great. Thanks for the tips folks!

natedlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 01:02 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedlee View Post
Sounds like EXACTLY what I need. I am registered Motor Home in VT. I have a call out with Progressive this evening and they are supposed to call me tomorrow. A casual comment with my own insurance (USAA) is that the moment I put a bed in it I have to switch to a Personal RV policy. It's a freaking catch 22.
I just purchased a 94 ford B700. I have all banking, homeowners, and 3 other vehicles insured through USAA. called them for insurance on the bus and they said they couldn't insure it. Sent me to commercial dept which is thru progressive. Told me I could put liability with $750,000 coverage on it til I started conversion. Then I would have to use an actual licensed r.v. upfitter to do the conversion. What gives?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
KnottyDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 01:04 PM   #23
Almost There

I finally got Commercial for Personal Use insurance through State Farm while I wait for them to get the RV policy in place. My local State Farm rep doesn't seem to think I will have any issues, and they aren't requiring a "professional" conversion company to do it.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:22 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I finally got Commercial for Personal Use insurance through State Farm while I wait for them to get the RV policy in place. My local State Farm rep doesn't seem to think I will have any issues, and they aren't requiring a "professional" conversion company to do it.
Cool beans. Thanks

Old 07-19-2017, 01:44 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Greetings everyone,

In Alberta we have municple rules regarding the parking of Commerical vehicles on the property over a certain weight. My brother-in-law got around this, as well as insurance issues to get it home by:

1)Purchased bus
2)Found a RV junkyard, ripped out a bathroom, its fixtures, a furnace and its hoses and tank, the bed, sink and cabinets, water and blackwater tanks. Nothing was working so it cost him @200.00 bucks for the junk.
3)Went to bus location. Used a reciprocating saw to ungracefully remove the bus seats - didn't bother to unbolt the bottoms. That took care of anti commercial use concerns. Moved the old seats outside the bus.
4)Installed the used stuff half-hazardly using deck screws, l-brackets, right through the existing floor where he could get around the seat mounting stubs. Took photos. Loaded the seats back in the bus.
5)Went home and had the title changed to an RV with said photo's.
6)Got RV insurance. Took a week or two
7)Went back to the bus "aka: RV" Dropped by a junkyard on the way home to unload the seats. Parked it in his backyard as an RV. Neighbors couldn't complain - RV storage allowed.
7) Ripped out the temporary swag and started his conversion, grinding out the seat mounts, etc.

Perhaps this might be an option for some?
RxMedicated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 02:09 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Upfitter for insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnottyDevil View Post
I just purchased a 94 ford B700. I have all banking, homeowners, and 3 other vehicles insured through USAA. called them for insurance on the bus and they said they couldn't insure it. Sent me to commercial dept which is thru progressive. Told me I could put liability with $750,000 coverage on it til I started conversion. Then I would have to use an actual licensed r.v. upfitter to do the conversion. What gives?

Once you do the conversion you can hire a mobile RV mechanic to certify it for a reasonable fee. This should make your insurance company happy....
Old 07-19-2017, 04:17 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxMedicated View Post
Once you do the conversion you can hire a mobile RV mechanic to certify it for a reasonable fee. This should make your insurance company happy....[emoji2]
You got a point there. [emoji12]

Old 07-19-2017, 04:29 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
I have done one bus that way with State Farm and had no issue. I have two more that we have insured with State Farm as Commercial for Personal Use that I expect to go the same route.

State Farm has been good to us.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:44 PM   #29
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxMedicated View Post
Once you do the conversion you can hire a mobile RV mechanic to certify it for a reasonable fee. This should make your insurance company happy....
What in h*ll is a "certified conversion"? Certified by whom? A "mobile RV mechanic"? Is he/she certified by anyone? Certified to what standards? What is the corporate entity maintaining these standards?

Did I miss a big conversation here?
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:46 PM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Where are you located? State?

Old 07-19-2017, 04:50 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

In these parts an RV mechanic is the only one licensed by the province to do modifications or safety inspections to Recreational vehicles due to the use of propane, refridgerents, etc. Having it done and in your hand gives you ammo against the insurance company if they decide a fire or other event results in a claim - some insurance companies require it (or may give you a reduced rate like Johnson) if you have it done every 5 years (or after an upgrade/repair).
Old 07-19-2017, 05:34 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
What in h*ll is a "certified conversion"? Certified by whom? A "mobile RV mechanic"? Is he/she certified by anyone? Certified to what standards? What is the corporate entity maintaining these standards?

Did I miss a big conversation here?
RVIA

The Recreation Vehicle Industry Association: RVIA Main Site Home
Old 07-19-2017, 05:36 PM   #33
Bus Crazy

Well,... is home of terrance and phillip..what can I say? lol
Old 07-19-2017, 05:50 PM   #34
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnottyDevil View Post
Where are you located? State?

Maryland - the state that makes everything difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-19-2017, 05:53 PM   #35
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I have done one bus that way with State Farm and had no issue. I have two more that we have insured with State Farm as Commercial for Personal Use that I expect to go the same route.

State Farm has been good to us.

Seems they are the best. Even GoodSam was being difficult - and I thought they were supposed to be the most accustomed to Skoolies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2017, 01:17 PM   #36
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I still don't think I understand. In the US, is there a way to take a bus conversion, get it inspected and "certified" by a "certified RV mechanic" as a "certified" conversion, and then tell the insurance company to "suck it - I've got a certified conversion and that's as good as a factory RV! You can't deny me on the basis of being a converted bus."

Is there any point, even peace of mind in knowing you have a properly done conversion, in doing this? If so, why hasn't it already been discussed to death in these hallowed halls?
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 04:44 PM   #37
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
I still don't think I understand. In the US, is there a way to take a bus conversion, get it inspected and "certified" by a "certified RV mechanic" as a "certified" conversion, and then tell the insurance company to "suck it - I've got a certified conversion and that's as good as a factory RV! You can't deny me on the basis of being a converted bus."

Is there any point, even peace of mind in knowing you have a properly done conversion, in doing this? If so, why hasn't it already been discussed to death in these hallowed halls?
Take a look at this: http://tinyhousetalk.com/tiny-house-...d-tiny-houses/

Guidelines for Tiny Houses on Wheels

They are speaking to tiny homes but much of the info applies to skoolies.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:27 PM   #38
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
Roof Raise

Hi everyone,

I'm part way into my build and have come to the point where I need to decide if I'm going to raise the roof or not. I've heard that one of the considerations is insurance. Are there any stories or links you have or know of about this? I see a lot of people doing roof raises and I feel up to the technical challenge, but I would hate to do all that work on be denied insurance.

Are there guidelines for height to stay inside of if you don't want a hassle with getting insurance?

Any advice appreciated!

David

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:32 PM   #39

same insurance issue

hey guys,

From WI..... having the same insurance issues.
I have a 89 Ford Blue Bird, 69 Passenger School bus 'converted'...and is registered/titled as a Motor Home. The only thing required in the state of WI is that it have a couch and a microwave.

I got it insured by progressive and a couple days later they cancelled it because they are afraid that I am going to put a Kitchen/stove in it.

And I am getting the same story from all other Insurance companies that I have tried... Does anybody know of any company that will insure it no questions asked?
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:23 AM   #40
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Take a look at this: Tiny House Q&A: RVIA Certified Tiny Houses

Guidelines for Tiny Houses on Wheels

They are speaking to tiny homes but much of the info applies to skoolies.
Wow, that's great stuff! I just looked at the above link and I think I'll go that route when I finally get going on the Spirit of Linda Lee! (I anticipate that to be in the next 6-8 months.)