Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2015, 07:11 PM   #1
Bus Geek

if you can NOT get insurance please read

And respond

Why can you not get insurance?

Specifics, not hear say

1) are you doing liability/uninsured or full coverage?

(Full coverage on something that in the end if you need to replace it because of something you did...you are in bad,bad shape, if you have more than say $5k in total build including purchase, you will not benefit from full coverage because anything other than stock won't get paid)

2) is TN just so awesome that I can own and drive anything (except a boat or plane, on my insurance and license) and you can not in other states?
I drive a personal owned and registered vehicle, that is all.

Research your state for specifics and then print and save them, I have said this before and can back it up.....TN (and bet most others) DO NOT have a "list" to tag it as a motorhome/rv etc.

I repeat, I drive a big jazz personal vehicle, I have been running wt'd tags...found out wt'd tags are a commercial thing including small businesses....I will save $100 this year, I have no DOT numbers because I am not commercial so I do not need a special license

(I know tx and couple others do have regs...this is about insurance)

Sorry about rant, I just want to know what people are saying that is getting them turned down?

Any time you mention BUS.....it entails hauling people for revenue, it doesn't matter if they are ignorant ins. People they will here bus/see bus and say NO

I can own and drive dump trucks class 8 rigs and anything in between as long as it is privately owned and not used for profit

So let's hear issues and get specific...mmmmkay?

bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:18 AM   #2
Site Team

Year: 1988
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: international
Engine: dt360a
Rated Cap: 65
good thread bansil.
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:36 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
the problem was its not an rv,i can get rv insurance but have to send in pictures. in va you can not insure a commercal vehicle for private use. i did find a guy that would write it up farm use. very frustrating, hours and hours on the phone
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:13 AM   #4

I've tried three different companies and once they see photos, they deny it. I had used National General back when they were GMAC a few years ago and they denied me this time around because of the RV/Bus' use. I only use it for a bike ride across Iowa every summer and maybe I was too honest about how I use it. I'm trying to do a policy through a local place that uses Progressive, but I'm pretty sure once it hits underwriting, we'll be denied. AIS denied me for the following:
"unfortunately, after underwriting review, we will not be able to insure the bus due to the lack of conversion. We accept conversions that have most or all of the amenities of a motorhome such as living/sleeping quarters and kitchen/bathroom facilities. This bus has too many of the original seats as well as the “decking” on top of the bus which creates too much risk exposure. Thank you for your time."
It meets all of the Iowa DOT requirements and is licensed as an RV. We don't have a stove or refrigerator though.

ANY ideas people have would be greatly appreciated. We're considering getting it re-licensed as a bus and going the commercial route, but I'm not sure our small cycling group could afford that for only one week out of the year.
mchawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:03 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave View Post
the problem was its not an rv,i can get rv insurance but have to send in pictures. in va you can not insure a commercal vehicle for private use. i did find a guy that would write it up farm use. very frustrating, hours and hours on the phone
Dave

here are a few things to look at:

1) you can pay a 1 yr "fine/fee" of $500 for a non-insured motorist, you will still be liable, but you can get it home

2)have you emailed dept of titling and asked what is difference between an RV and a Motorhome?

3) you can always do a specialty re-title, you need to do application and keep receipts to prove major parts are not stolen

4)also send a separate email to dept of titling and ask specifically what is required to title as an RV, next email ask what is specific to registering as a motor home

those are two separate entites

and why are you trying to insure as a commercial vehicle????

unless you do "commercial" stuff with it, it is a private vehicle

Email them and ask specifically what is difference between a commercial vehicle and a private vehicle

In VA you can own an "18 wheeler" NON commercial if you dont use it for a business

SO I would start with 5 or 6 separate emails, each on have sent to two different people and see what answers are

THIS IS WHERE I WOULD START

Good luck and keep us posted....AND phone calls are worthless, you need everything in email or snail mail form
Old 04-07-2015, 05:42 PM   #6
Bus Nut

yes i plan on retitleing as rv. i got a temp tag in 5 min. for 5 bucks to move it, no problem there. insuring it for the ride home was what i could not seem to find, private or commercial. every state has its own rules. a good agent is key!
Old 04-07-2015, 06:15 PM   #7
Bus Geek

I have the emails from TN titling and printed them off, I'm me if you want me to try to get you the name of an agent to help you....we are close you know ( in location ya'll )

Who do you have house/rental/vehicles through right now? Answer in im if you want
Old 04-07-2015, 06:38 PM   #8
Bus Nut

i found a place in abingdon, i use progressive for my truck, i forgot to ask what company he was using but i got his # from calling pro.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:11 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66
Had I seen this post before the independent agent I tried left me a rejection voice-mail, I wouldn't have deleted it. I don't recall the exact words, but in summary:

The lady tried "numerous" insurance companies; they said they wouldn't insure converted school buses.

A commercial vehicle over 14,000 lb GVW: None would touch such a thing when owned by an individual. (I brought that up on the off chance that some people may take loads of football fans on tailgater buses to Cornhusker games.) Currently my rig is titled as a bus. It had been owned by a restaurant for use as a party bus.

I likely will get it re-titled as an RV, since it just needs a refrigerator to have sufficient RV equipment in Nebraska. Probably lots of "Dodge motor homes" are out there, but "forgetting" to say it's a converted school bus is sure to bite me in the backside.

A bit of irony here: when a speeding fire truck in Virginia broadsided a Wayne Lifeguard similar to mine, the truck "failed to overcome the great strength of the [bus body]. Investigators were amazed to discover that despite a bulge of several inches on the longitudinal interior panel, there had been no all-the way through penetration of the passenger compartment whatsoever..." Years later in Ohio, a Hyundai Elantra punched a hole in the side of a Winnebago - newer than mine and supposedly improved; contents of the RV spilled out.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:54 AM   #10
Skoolie

Dave, you finally found insurance didn't you? What did you end up with? There's a skoolie in VA that's going to resell his new bus because he can't find insurance.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:25 PM   #11

I am undergoing all of these challenges as well.

Once they see photos they deny my bus conversion.

What if I don't mention the conversion and just say I have a retired school bus that needs non-commercial basic liability insurance? It seems like you have to give certain information and not give certain information to interact with this system.

I like the idea by Bansil:

"1) you can pay a 1 yr "fine/fee" of $500 for a non-insured motorist, you will still be liable, but you can get it home"

I am looking to take some trips a few times a year, but for the most part this is my home parked on land.

HELP me keep this simple community. This feels maddening!

Thanks,

Matthew
HolySpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 04:21 PM   #12
Almost There

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5,9 12V
Rated Cap: 24 seats, 3 wheelchairs
I'm in the throws of this.

I started with Progressive and filled out the policy info online. Got coverage, then received a cancellation notice a couple of weeks later.

Moved on to State Farm and after 6 weeks of having my info and pics they are telling me that they won't review till mid-July. No idea what the heck that's about.

Then talked to a GoodSam agent, sent pics. They denied saying I didn't have a kitchen and bath, so I sent more pictures and just received a denial today. The only reason given was, "it doesn't meet the requirements."

Now I am trying to Farmer's Insurance. Just sent pics.

I believe my problem is that I live in MD and they are telling the insurance companies it has to be a "professional conversation by an RV conversion company." So I mat be SOL unless I get some professional conversion company to vouch for me, and there are none around where I live to even do that.
natedlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 04:34 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedlee View Post
I'm in the throws of this.

I started with Progressive and filled out the policy info online. Got coverage, then received a cancellation notice a couple of weeks later.

Moved on to State Farm and after 6 weeks of having my info and pics they are telling me that they won't review till mid-July. No idea what the heck that's about.

Then talked to a GoodSam agent, sent pics. They denied saying I didn't have a kitchen and bath, so I sent more pictures and just received a denial today. The only reason given was, "it doesn't meet the requirements."

Now I am trying to Farmer's Insurance. Just sent pics.

I believe my problem is that I live in MD and they are telling the insurance companies it has to be a "professional conversation by an RV conversion company." So I mat be SOL unless I get some professional conversion company to vouch for me, and there are none around where I live to even do that.
Curious....

I have two buses insured with State Farm. In my case they are insured as commercial vehicles for personal use. When I am done with the conversion they will switch the insurance to RV. I did have to send pics showing that the seats were removed.

I went through the same process with my last bus and State Farm had no problem insuring it as an RV.

I hope your luck improves!!
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 04:40 PM   #14
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Curious....

I have two buses insured with State Farm. In my case they are insured as commercial vehicles for personal use. When I am done with the conversion they will switch the insurance to RV. I did have to send pics showing that the seats were removed.

I went through the same process with my last bus and State Farm had no problem insuring it as an RV.

I hope your luck improves!!

Do you have a commercial license?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-2017, 04:42 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
I also have a commercial policy. No commercial license or anything else, bus is registered as a bug for personal use.
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 05:01 PM   #16
Skoolie

Do not mention that its been modified in any way. I went thru my car insurance. They had never insured a bus before.
BigDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:52 PM   #17
Bus Geek

No CDL. It is not required unless I use the bus for commercial purposes. They are registered as RV's and insured as commercial vehicles FOR PERSONAL USE.

As for telling them about mods: They asked for pictures. I sent pictures. No further discussion on the subject.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:19 PM   #18
Almost There

Quote:
No CDL. It is not required unless I use the bus for commercial purposes. They are registered as RV's and insured as commercial vehicles FOR PERSONAL USE.

As for telling them about mods: They asked for pictures. I sent pictures. No further discussion on the subject.
Sounds like EXACTLY what I need. I am registered Motor Home in VT. I have a call out with Progressive this evening and they are supposed to call me tomorrow. A casual comment with my own insurance (USAA) is that the moment I put a bed in it I have to switch to a Personal RV policy. It's a freaking catch 22.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:46 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedlee View Post
Sounds like EXACTLY what I need. I am registered Motor Home in VT. I have a call out with Progressive this evening and they are supposed to call me tomorrow. A casual comment with my own insurance (USAA) is that the moment I put a bed in it I have to switch to a Personal RV policy. It's a freaking catch 22.
IF USAA will insure as an RV it will likely be cheaper. My State Farm is a bit over $300 a year. If I recall, my insurance on my old bus was around half of that as an RV.

Good Luck.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:01 PM   #20
Almost There

Quote:
IF USAA will insure as an RV it will likely be cheaper. My State Farm is a bit over $300 a year. If I recall, my insurance on my old bus was around half of that as an RV.

Good Luck.

Well USAA farms those policies out to Progressive, bringing me full circle. :/ GoodSam would have been around $360 I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk