Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2023, 03:50 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezymagick View Post
If you have any guidance I'm really interested in figuring out how you got through with the re-titling in GA after getting the MH classification on your VT reg. My van was already titled and registered in my name as a van in GA, I'm getting the VT registration done now and I won't be getting a new VT title with that because it's an older van. But if I want a new title for my now MH in GA, I have to go through some sort of basic, generalized vehicle inspection process because of the "lack of (old/proper) title," regardless of the body type (it's the same for any title-less car). I am hoping the officer will just copy the VT reg for the "body type" section and not nitpick the conversion itself, especially since GA doesn't even HAVE an RV/MH title conversion option anymore, even for *finished* conversions. Tips? Insurance is already handled, I just need BOTH my title and registration to say "motorhome" in order to be able to get into Mexico with my 1 ton.
The registration in VT. didn't require a title. I held onto my GA. title, if I sell it, the registration from VT. doesn't go with the sale. I will sell it unregistered with a clean GA. title.

Old 03-05-2023, 06:53 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezymagick View Post
If you have any guidance I'm really interested in figuring out how you got through with the re-titling in GA after getting the MH classification on your VT reg. My van was already titled and registered in my name as a van in GA, I'm getting the VT registration done now and I won't be getting a new VT title with that because it's an older van. But if I want a new title for my now MH in GA, I have to go through some sort of basic, generalized vehicle inspection process because of the "lack of (old/proper) title," regardless of the body type (it's the same for any title-less car). I am hoping the officer will just copy the VT reg for the "body type" section and not nitpick the conversion itself, especially since GA doesn't even HAVE an RV/MH title conversion option anymore, even for *finished* conversions. Tips? Insurance is already handled, I just need BOTH my title and registration to say "motorhome" in order to be able to get into Mexico with my 1 ton.

The VT documentation is a "transferable registration" because they don't issue titles on older vehicles. As such, titling in GA should accept that registration as the "title" and if it says MH for motorhome it damn well better get a MH title. I would definitely make sure I had a quality copy of the transferable title if GA requires you to submit the original. And if it comes back as anything other than MH I would take a copy of the copy down and demand that they fix THEIR ERROR
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 02:01 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
The VT documentation is a "transferable registration" because they don't issue titles on older vehicles. As such, titling in GA should accept that registration as the "title" and if it says MH for motorhome it damn well better get a MH title. I would definitely make sure I had a quality copy of the transferable title if GA requires you to submit the original. And if it comes back as anything other than MH I would take a copy of the copy down and demand that they fix THEIR ERROR
Thank you!! That makes a lot of sense. After more research as well, it is pretty much just a VIN verification inspection, so there's really no reason for the officer to try and debate the body type based on how it looks; they will probably INSIST on copying the VT reg identically anyways. The only potential road-bump I'm seeing is possible is if the new title application gets to the DMV in GA, and GA tries to correct the body type from what the VT MH reg AND inspection says, just because of the old GA title they have on file already in my name saying "van." Hopefully they're not that organized or thorough to begin with LOL.

If that turns into an issue and they refuse to correct it, it's very possible I may sell the van to a friend and have them sell it back to me after doing a title transfer, so that I can completely separate the old title from my name and start from scratch. I would absolutely not be going through this if I didn't have to, but 3/4-1 ton non-MH/-RV vehicles are apparently not allowed into Mexico anymore and it's where I have planned for years to spend most of my time. I plan to keep it even as a tiny home shell when it dies so I don't care about more owners being on the title
breezymagick is offline   Reply With Quote