Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2020, 06:18 AM   #1

Question Ignoring VT Inspection?

How are those of you with Vermont plates dealing with the inspection requirement? I recently spoke to a skoolie owner with a VT registration who said he just doesn't go to VT...Wouldn't VT just void your registration if you don't keep the inspection current?

For reference, here is info from the VT DMV.
https://dmv.vermont.gov/enforcement-...ction-stations

As a follow-up question; if you have VT plates and live in another state, then who are you insuring with?

The only value I can see for the VT registration is being able to transfer that paper registration to your home state as a bonafide "motorhome" pre-conversion.

I see a lot of VT plates on skoolies. I'd love to hear from some of you about inspections and insurance. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to broadcast this info in public. Thanks!

UnicornWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 08:05 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas Bus
Chassis: Allison MD 3060
Engine: Catepillar 3126B 210hp/605 ft lb
I have never had my motorhome or bus inspected, albeit I drive very little in vermont as when I do I am leaving or coming home from a trip (I live here). Inspections are evidently a state only thing, not enforced outside the state, dont know why.

I have been pulled over in VT in my car for an expired inspection sticker.

Insurance: 1 month with progressive, since then All State
matthews2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 03:03 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Some do use the process to get an RV registration that an be transferred to another state, issue arises when the insurance wants to see the completed conversion and then you're stuck with no insurance. Insurance doesn't usually ask where it is registered, normally we are insured before registering.
The state notified me that they don't see a registration in Ga. on my insured bus. I'm registered in Vt., insured in Ga.

Vt site doesn't state any penalties or enforcement info. I'm sure it is most often overlooked as there are many here registered in Vt and renew every year without penalty
Old 02-15-2020, 09:37 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnicornWizard View Post
How are those of you with Vermont plates dealing with the inspection requirement? I recently spoke to a skoolie owner with a VT registration who said he just doesn't go to VT...Wouldn't VT just void your registration if you don't keep the inspection current?
Dunno from "would", in practice No they don't. Enforcement is when a VT cop pulls you over.

Which only happens in VT.

So maybe don't give them ideas?

> As a follow-up question; if you have VT plates and live in another state, then who are you insuring with?

There are many companies, see the thread(s) specific for your state, or start your own.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/h...ate-28907.html

> The only value I can see for the VT registration is being able to transfer that paper registration to your home state as a bonafide "motorhome" pre-conversion.

No, why would you think that?

Why toss in that "bonafide?" Each state has their standards. . .

It also allows you to only pay the MH rates, and not get a CDL, while you are doing your buildout over time and perhaps living in and driving the bus around, in a more difficult / expensive state or across the country.

That process may take years. Maybe you keep renewing VT forever.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:59 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
My insurer never asked about my registration...
Many states require "proof of insurance" before registration anyway.

As little as I drive the bus (for now) I will retain the Vt. registry cause I like supporting Vt. (I once lived in Vt. a lifetime (or two) ago...)

If I ever get my bus up to Vt I will gladly get it inspected -- might learn something new about my bus!

Only Vermont LEO can (or have any authority to) enforce Vt laws.

Now maybe if you live on the NY or NH border area a sharp cop will notice you don't have the Vt inspection sticker and wonder what other offences your hippy bus harbors... but that would only be "probable cause in his/her mind...

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 05:39 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
In the commercial trucking world, virtually everything is required an annual inspection, regardless where it's based or how much/little it's operated. Since it's often logistically impossible for every single piece of equipment to visit a home state for inspections, and doing so would place a huge burden and bottleneck on a given shop, this is widely distributed over a wide network of company shops and various vendors. Much of the checklist is readily available for free. And here's the thing, the annual D.O.T. inspection is usually more stringent than many state inspections, if you have an annual D.O.T. inspection sticker, most (if not all) states will accept that as proof of inspection (the only exception is emissions, which is not part of the D.O.T. inspection). Typically it includes glass, wipers, lights (all of them, includes proper colors), tires, wheels and fasteners (lug nuts), brakes, suspension, and some other stuff. A proper pre-trip will identify many things that would fail an inspection, most of us will know if our tires are getting worn, a windshield is cracked, a light doesn't function. The inspection is documented proof from a certified shop/mechanic that the vehicle was indeed up to minimum standards.

The inspection may note things like tire tread depths and they may need replaced soon. Tire age isn't usually checked, tire condition including visible deterioration and dry rot usually is. Also, there's a "roadside" inspection that many officers will do, it allows some leeway for many things. For example, the annual inspection requires all brakes to work and be within adjustment, not beyond a certain wear point. The roadside "OOS" (Out-Of-Service) allows up to 20% of brakes to be inoperative (this does *NOT* prevent a violation, however! It simply allows a driver to complete the trip, then get the problem fixed.) For an annual, both/all wipers must work, for the roadside, only the driver's side must work (again, a violation can be written for the non-working one). Tires must be minimum 4/32 tread (steer tires), 2/32 (all other tires. OOS is 2/32, 1/32, respectively (you really don't want to drive tires this smooth anyway).

Since RV's are usually not commercial, there's no federal oversight on annual or minimum inspections. If anyone had their RV/bus D.O.T. inspected (there will usually be a sticker placed noting this, also a form provided, which is expected to stay with the vehicle), I expect most LEO's would accept this as sufficient and on your way you go.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:34 PM   #7
Bus Geek

All that is federal, under "interstate commerce", some delegated back to the states.

But private citizens and their vehicles are not under any direct federal jurisdiction that is in principle up to each state.

But of course the feds can impose standards over time using funding carrot/sticks
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 09:44 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I see a lot of discussion here about how your registration or title affects your ability to get either commercial for personal or RV insurance.

I asked my insurance agent about it and she told me that they don't care how it is registered or titled.

I have registered all of my buses as RV's shortly after purchase and carried commercial for personal until the conversion was complete enough to meet the insurance companies requirements for RV insurance and then switched.

I started out with Miller Insurance in Love. Oswego OR. Then, about 20 years ago I switched to State Farm. Both treated me very well.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 10:15 AM   #9

Smile

I contacted the Vermont DMV for clarification and this was their response.
"To drive it on the roads in VT it would have to be inspected. The registration would not be suspended but you are subject to a ticket if its not inspected."

My takeaway is that VT is more lenient in their motor vehicle laws than other states. Which is a good enough reason in my mind to support them with tax revenue.
UnicornWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 04:32 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT 466 Int.
Rated Cap: Depends on gender
I had mine inspected last August. It was the last thing that needed to be done in order to make it legal. They ended up inspecting it as a "large truck" for some reason, but all I cared about was the 8 on my windshield.

Our plan is to snowbird in winter months and come back to our VT camp in summer for 4-5 months. I'll have it reinspected then.
Compass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 02:59 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtrans
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 84 pas
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnicornWizard View Post

For reference, here is info from the VT DMV.
https://dmv.vermont.gov/enforcement-...ction-stations

As a follow-up question; if you have VT plates and live in another state, then who are you insuring with?

The only value I can see for the VT registration is being able to transfer that paper registration to your home state as a bonafide "motorhome" pre-conversion.

I see a lot of VT plates on skoolies. I'd love to hear from some of you about inspections and insurance. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to broadcast this info in public. Thanks!
If you are going to drive in VT you'll want to get inspected. Th VT DMV does not verify your inspection and your registration does not hinge upon it. However if you are driving in VT without your inspection sticker you face fines.
Currently living and driving in New Mexico and the southwest with VT tags. Insured with Progressive as commercial for personal use. Registered in VT because New Mexico would not register the school bus as a bus for private use and wanted a pretty complete conversion before reclassifying as RV. Since we wanted to live in it while we build at our own pace as well as use it as our car and truck, VT was a go to choice. They are happy to provide us tags with a New Mexico address on the registration for less than 100 bucks a year.
We pass through border patrol check stations a couple of times a month and put on a couple thousand miles every four or five weeks with no unwanted attention from law enforcement.
Rock-N-Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 09:32 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Do you get a windshield sticker from VT once you title it as RV? Or just plates? I live in TX. And wondering about how well this will/wont work using it in TX. Lol.
Fox Slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 10:15 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Slider View Post
Do you get a windshield sticker from VT once you title it as RV? Or just plates? I live in TX. And wondering about how well this will/wont work using it in TX. Lol.
You get two plates and registration sticker for the rear plate. Texas is not going to be interested in the VT safety inspection. They have no jurisdiction over VT. Texas can only require inspection on vehicles registered in Texas. We do not live in Texas but we live close to and travel in and out of Texas often. No problem.
Old 06-13-2021, 10:45 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Ok cool. Makes sense. Preciate that good info and clarity. Was just reading other thread. And dude got it insured, then weighed, inspected then registered as a passenger vehicle over 6000lbs in Tx.

Or could just do the VT thing and be fine.

Is RV insurance cheaper than commerical for personal maybe?

I guess it boils down to my registration options. Either way sounds like i can pull it off w/o it being too terrible.
Fox Slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:16 AM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
It will be interesting to see how your insurance is going to handle your case with an in inspected vehicle when people got hurt.

I like brad swiftfur comment about inspecting it as a commercial vehicle. It will at least allow a certification.

Good luck johan
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 03:06 PM   #16
Skoolie

Chassis: 2000 Int Amtran
Engine: DT466HT
Rated Cap: 84
insurance

Just got my renewal for insurance for 40 ft 36000 gross Amtran Went from 800 a year to 1200 a year. Commercial. Not sure what I am going to do. Allstate, got the number from this thread I think. In 5 years I could buy the bus again. VT license, in Missouri
MacC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 05:15 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacC View Post
Just got my renewal for insurance for 40 ft 36000 gross Amtran Went from 800 a year to 1200 a year. Commercial. Not sure what I am going to do. Allstate, got the number from this thread I think. In 5 years I could buy the bus again. VT license, in Missouri
I registered in VT., insured in Ga. State Farm had no issue. State of Ga. sent me a letter stating they saw I had a vehicle insured here but not registered. My insurance agent and I both agreed to blow it off, haven't heard back. Is RV insurance cheaper than commercial? I pay $4.11 a month for RV insurance, can you find commercial cheaper?
Old 06-16-2021, 07:56 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacC View Post
We've got two of them , 40 foot Amtrans. A 1998 that we bought in July 2019 and a 2002 that we bought this May.
Our renewal is due in July of only 411.00 for one year that's both busses. Progressive commercial lines. Co.etcial for private use policy.
Old 07-21-2021, 01:37 AM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
It will be interesting to see how your insurance is going to handle your case with an in inspected vehicle when people got hurt.

So I've lived in a few fascist states. In MD vehicles with MD plates have to be inspected. Same vehicle 2 1/2 years later with Calif plates, never had to be inspected because it's California titled and registered (I was military with a Calif license)

An insurance company is not going to be able to get away with denying a claim because a vehicle doesn't have an inspection sticker from a state with inspection requirements if it's 1) Not in that state even if it has that states plates OR 2) If it's in the inspection required state but has out of state plates.

Sure some cheapo company might deny the claim but they'd lose tehir behinds in court. Far more likely that insurance will legitimately deny a claim when they're lied to about things like wood stoves, roof decks, etc.
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 03:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Some do use the process to get an RV registration that an be transferred to another state, issue arises when the insurance wants to see the completed conversion and then you're stuck with no insurance. Insurance doesn't usually ask where it is registered, normally we are insured before registering.
The state notified me that they don't see a registration in Ga. on my insured bus. I'm registered in Vt., insured in Ga.

Vt site doesn't state any penalties or enforcement info. I'm sure it is most often overlooked as there are many here registered in Vt and renew every year without penalty
If you have any guidance I'm really interested in figuring out how you got through with the re-titling in GA after getting the MH classification on your VT reg. My van was already titled and registered in my name as a van in GA, I'm getting the VT registration done now and I won't be getting a new VT title with that because it's an older van. But if I want a new title for my now MH in GA, I have to go through some sort of basic, generalized vehicle inspection process because of the "lack of (old/proper) title," regardless of the body type (it's the same for any title-less car). I am hoping the officer will just copy the VT reg for the "body type" section and not nitpick the conversion itself, especially since GA doesn't even HAVE an RV/MH title conversion option anymore, even for *finished* conversions. Tips? Insurance is already handled, I just need BOTH my title and registration to say "motorhome" in order to be able to get into Mexico with my 1 ton.
breezymagick is offline   Reply With Quote