Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2023, 04:29 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

In a serious issue: advice?

So I bought a 31' bus from out of state (I am OR, bus is from Nevada). I couldn't register it because I was told by my insurance i couldn't insure it until I was farther along in my conversion. I thought I had a good parking spot on my property, but a freind had a better one and offered it to me. So I dived into the conversion. But now my freind needs it off his property asap. I was going to have it towed back to my property, but it turns out the actual road is ~45' from the property line, and the only parking I have available is actually the public right of way. Code enforcement is now threatening to fine my neighbor as his 5th wheel is in public property.

I have a bus with an out of state title not in my name. I cannot store it. I cannot insure it, so I cannot register it. Is there anyway to get rid of it? I'm heartbroken to loose so much $$$ and time, but I don't want to run afoul of code enforcement.

Mrmagoo1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 07:54 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
maybe check with some local self storage companies. Some of those permit storage of RV's. Maybe that would give you time to find another build site.
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 09:00 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
I would start asking around. Facebook RV groups, friends with land etc. Also i would figure out your title issues. The longer you go without title, the harder it will be to register and insure. National General will insure you without conversion.

Also, why does it have to be towed? Just because its not legal? Or does it have mechanical issues?
fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 10:47 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
if you need to restart the clock for registration... sell it to your wife/gf/son/daughter/close relation. use the 6 months you get and then buy it back and repeat. you'll have to pay sales tax but it'll buy you time.
Old 08-29-2023, 03:26 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP-EF
Engine: Cat C7 + Allison 3000PTS
I'm confused, why is it an out of state title not in your name? Get the title converted to you first.
dbsoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 03:45 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Bus runs and drives. But not legal as not registered.

Bought the bus from out of state reseller (nevada) and had it delivered. I have a title with the seller line filled in by the reseller with a blank spot for me to sign.

To register a vehicle in Oregon, you must have insurance.
Old 08-29-2023, 04:06 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmagoo1077 View Post
code enforcement.
What is this?

Can you explain it to me?
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 04:07 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

In oregon an RV or unregistered vehicle cannot be in the public right of way. Code enforcement will come a cite you citations (daily) until the vehicle is removed.
Old 08-29-2023, 04:12 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
Quote:
In oregon an RV or unregistered vehicle cannot be in the public right of way. Code enforcement will come a cite you citations (daily) until the vehicle is removed.
And you haven't hung the local government for that yet?

Sorry, I'm originally from Texas, and we just do what we want down there, and mostly ignore the government--although I've heard it's gotten worse after I left more than a decade ago.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 04:24 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albatross View Post
And you haven't hung the local government for that yet?

Sorry, I'm originally from Texas, and we just do what we want down there, and mostly ignore the government--although I've heard it's gotten worse after I left more than a decade ago.

I had code enforcement show up to me as well. Everyone in the area with an RV in the front had a notice to remove it. I have about 57ft from my gate to the property line. When they showed up, i had a chalk line on the driveway with the necessary 25ft setback. My 32ft bus had its toes on the line, ready for inspection. She wasn't happy and everyone else had to move theirs as they were too big to fit. I do park mine behind my gate, but i like to work on it out front by the garage and where i can access all sides.
fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 05:43 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
I would bite the bullet, register it as a bus, insure it as a bus for personal use, get your tags, park it on the street and then slowly figure out how to change your scenario.

Yes it will cost you a couple of dollars up front but at least you get to move forward versus spinning your wheels in the mud.
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 06:51 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Cummins 350 big cam
Rated Cap: 86 passengers?
I noticed that your postings do not say where in Oregon that you are. That may help.
When I bought my "new Crown" in Cali, I had a friend remove all but the driver's seat. State farm then insured the bus once they saw a picture of the inside with no seats. I fabricated a bed that I could assemble inside the bus, and bought a bathroom vanity without a sink on top. I also bought a 3 burner cook stove and a countertop. I took my proof of insurance and the title to Oregon DMV and purchased a trip permit. My brother and I went down to Salinas Ca. and installed the bed with a mattress, and vanity and cook stove. This took an afternoon. The next day we drove it to Weed, Ca. and the day after the rest of the way to Bly. Oregon requires an RV to have sleeping facilities and cooking facilities. Those items met the requirements. The DMV guy measured the length of the bus as Oregon charges fees based on length.
You could get a fold up bed and secure it to the floor and do the same as I did for cooking facilities. I believe you could solve your problems in two days of effort.
Get the seats out first, then go to your insurance provider with pictures of the inside. The rest will be easy to do.
flattracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 05:42 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Our hot little grubbies...
Chassis: Ford CF8000 ExpeditionVehicle
Engine: Cummins 505ci mechanical
Rated Cap: Five Heelers
Eugene, Oregon.
We work with tow companies.
They tow, store, then hold lien sales.
I wonder if your rig could get liened and sold (to you...), then titled and registered.
Is Mexico or Panama an option?
LargeMargeInBaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 05:50 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I have my busses at a U-haul covered storage facility.. theres all kinds of stuff in there and people work on things.. as long as you arent doing a roof raise and you clean up each day I think you shoulod be able to work on it in such a lot.. ive done tranny swaps.. engine work.. paint (not spray).. I clean up my tools and materials each day they never say a word.. my rent is on auto pay and never late...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 06:05 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Can you do title only on OR? In NM I can and I don't need insurance because it isn't registered. Just titled.
Old 08-30-2023, 08:15 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
I wonder why I keep hearing "I cannot insure it" when many here have commercial for personal on builds not completed.

that's what I got...with Progressive commercial, not progressive auto.

I think that a mistake many make is that they speak with a Progressive auto rep instead of talking with a commercial rep....two different worlds!

Pay the extra, get a tag and move forward!

Make the adjustments later on down the road!

Register it under 25,000 lbs so you won't need a class B, you can change that later...take out all the seats and you won't need a passenger endorsement...it's that simple folks!

And if it's air brakes, worry about that later on down the road!
Don't over think it!
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 01:01 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: CAT 3126b with AT545
We've been using Progressive Commercial for 3 years (~$350/yr) while doing our build. We purchase RV temporary trip permits every few months to take it out for a spin and burn off excess moisture in the engine components.

We also live in Oregon and plan to register it when we finish the beds and kitchen in a couple months. The GVWR is 25,500 lbs and after the build we'll have added approximately 2500 lbs which is well below the 36 students at ~200 lbs or 7200 lbs so it shouldn't change the classification requiring us to have a class B license. Someone mentioned in an earlier thread having to have a class B license and it made me a little nervous. We're going to feel better after it's registered

Funny you're concerned about a citation...we, just a couple days ago, had to pull our bus onto the public sidewalk for better access to the back and received a ticket from the city for $45. We've devised a way to pull it back off the sidewalk but what a pain.
Toddthomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 11:57 AM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: International
Chassis: 25' Bluebird
Engine: T444
Rated Cap: GVWR 27,500
Get it insured and registered ASAP.
You don't need a completely finished and beautiful build. You need three things:

1. Power: an extension cord that you can plug into

2. Water: Set up any sink-like contraption that empties into a grey water tank, then set up a 5-gallon water cooler or even a 2 1/2 gallon water container from the grocery store, over it.

3: A shitter: a 5-gallon bucket with a toilet-seat lid on it from REI costs $22. Get one. It's what I use and it passed inspection.

If you do those three simple things, General Insurance will insure it for you.
They'll want to see pictures of the interior, one from the front facing back and one from the back facing front. Just make it look like it's ready to camp in (cots, sleeping bags).

Once you have it insured and registered, redo it however you want it.
gabrielah77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 01:17 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Unless you are one of the 1000s homeless people in their broken down campers and RVs.
Carrier6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 01:24 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

All you need is a trip permit from DMV. You can legally drive on the roads with it. No title, no registration or insurance.
Carrier6 is offline   Reply With Quote