Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2018, 04:39 AM   #41
Mini-Skoolie

I have my bus insured through American family. I didn't have any trouble. Just called them and emailed photos. I pay 41 bucks a month for full coverage.

Blueman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:44 AM   #42
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Chassis: International
Engine: 9.L
Rated Cap: 64
I can assure you no drunken 1%ers will be any where near my bus. I no longer run in those circles..lol.. as for why that law is on the books is a mystery to me. IA is a weird state is all i can say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH777 View Post

Best not to stress.

ps---- 1%er = outlaw bikers...

If you read the bus laws...they make a point to talk about bike clubs with buses and them and others not drinking in a bus in Iowa..........lol

Makes ya wonder what happened back in the day in Iowa that caused a special clause in the law for bikers in buses....

My imagination is causing me to grin over the many answers to this riddle.
mikeypj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:43 AM   #43
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueman View Post
I have my bus insured through American family. I didn't have any trouble. Just called them and emailed photos. I pay 41 bucks a month for full coverage.
Thanks, ive gotten a ton of suggestions, gonna keep trying, sooner or later someone will say SURE!
Old 08-09-2018, 06:22 AM   #44
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:

Best not to stress.

ps---- 1%er = outlaw bikers...

If you read the bus laws...they make a point to talk about bike clubs with buses and them and others not drinking in a bus in Iowa..........lol

Makes ya wonder what happened back in the day in Iowa that caused a special clause in the law for bikers in buses....

My imagination is causing me to grin over the many answers to this riddle.
I may be wrong, but I think the answers to this question are probably not as salacious as you think. I'm guessing it relates to RAGBRAI bikers....which are totally different from 1% ers..
Old 08-09-2018, 06:25 AM   #45

We had the same issue, but my aunt told us to try good Sam and they insured us for a year! The only draw back is they would only give us liability coverage. Good luck!
Genoble77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:40 AM   #46
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genoble77 View Post
We had the same issue, but my aunt told us to try good Sam and they insured us for a year! The only draw back is they would only give us liability coverage. Good luck!
Did they require pictures? I was thinking of switching over to Good Sams.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:02 AM   #47
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 31 w/4 wheel chair spots
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
I may be wrong, but I think the answers to this question are probably not as salacious as you think. I'm guessing it relates to RAGBRAI bikers....which are totally different from 1% ers..
you are dead on with this being due to RAGRAI. Some call it the party on wheels, and MANY "teams" use school buses to get gear from town to town.
Huskerbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:13 AM   #48
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Ward Senator
Chassis: Crane Carrier
Engine: 366 BBC, CNG
Rated Cap: 66
Insurance

Got mine online here. Get a Quote, Policy Login, Make a Payment
fasthuhpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:51 AM   #49
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
1st....was joking around on the outlaw biker thing.........

2ndly--- them thar RAGBRAI biker critters sound way scarier than any 1%er's. All them disturbing skin tight, stretchy riding outfits...... the menace to drivers on the roadways. And the drinking and all the unnatural goings on!

Giving pure innocent skoolie people a bad name!!!

Iowa sounds like a hotbed of pure anti-social behavior.

The FBI should investigate!
CH777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:06 PM   #50

Year: 1998
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 9 window handy bus
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 18 and 2 wheelchairs
Just called Good Sams. So far they seem nice. I have to send in pictures of all 4 sides and one from back looking in and one from front looking in. Then he says no more than 24 hours and I will have a quote. right now I have Progressive commercial policy for 376.00 a year just Liability but only 100 miles from my home .... Thats a joke.
PARTZKITTEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:54 PM   #51
Bus Nut

100? Thats funny. But until its finished or habitable 100 miles is fine with me. Cool thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PARTZKITTEN View Post
Just called Good Sams. So far they seem nice. I have to send in pictures of all 4 sides and one from back looking in and one from front looking in. Then he says no more than 24 hours and I will have a quote. right now I have Progressive commercial policy for 376.00 a year just Liability but only 100 miles from my home .... Thats a joke.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:01 PM   #52
Bus Nut

I cant see the local MC rollin around in a bus. [emoji15] RAGBRAI is a fantastic event. Lotsa fun to be had. I rode 2 times 20 yrs ago..lol.. i cant see this being enforced. Hell cops even have these buses sittin in their yards....
Quote:
1st....was joking around on the outlaw biker thing.........

2ndly--- them thar RAGBRAI biker critters sound way scarier than any 1%er's. All them disturbing skin tight, stretchy riding outfits...... the menace to drivers on the roadways. And the drinking and all the unnatural goings on!

Giving pure innocent skoolie people a bad name!!!

Iowa sounds like a hotbed of pure anti-social behavior.

The FBI should investigate!
Old 08-13-2018, 03:34 PM   #53
Mini-Skoolie

The dmv registered nine as a automobile it’s a shorty doulie e-450 the vin come back as a 2000 Ford e-450 truck cut-away chassis/ passenger van. Got insured through progressive commercial and the got ut insured through safeco or it could be Safco. I never mention the word bus I let them figure it out through the vin.
Lolo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 05:48 PM   #54
Bus Nut

So do i just say international s1800?
Old 08-13-2018, 08:12 PM   #55
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeypj View Post
I cant see the local MC rollin around in a bus. [emoji15] RAGBRAI is a fantastic event. Lotsa fun to be had. I rode 2 times 20 yrs ago..lol.. i cant see this being enforced. Hell cops even have these buses sittin in their yards....
Google the meaning of the word "satire".
Old 08-14-2018, 11:37 AM   #56
Bus Nut

No need, know the word well...its the mythical half man half horse...bwahahaha
Old 08-14-2018, 12:08 PM   #57
Skoolie

Quote:
No need, know the word well...its the mythical half man half horse...bwahahaha
hmmmmmmmmmm.... I'm thinking you mean--- "centaur".

Whereas "satire" would be = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satire

You ginger guys are so hard to communicate with.......
Old 08-14-2018, 12:18 PM   #58
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Chassis: Genesis
Rated Cap: 84lug
Quote:
I dont get it, why is insuring a bus such a hassle? State farm will insure a bus, but only if all of your policies are with state farm..i even found a place that insures dragsters and airplanes...but they wont insure a bus....ill even pay 6 months up front..lol
As an insurance agent in TN/GA with a company that writes bus policies easily... I can say the often times the difficulty comes from the restrictions the state puts on the insurer on this particular line of business. Liberty Mutual (my company) has very few requirements to write a skoolie policy in TN/GA but can be quite a bit more difficult for Liberty Mutual agents in other states. Additionally some insurance companies (usually the smaller ones) have more requirements because the are skittish of the risk so they crank up the underwriting requirements to weed out much of the riskier ones. My suggestion, if you aren't in TN or GA try Progressive or National General. If you are in TN or GA I can write you a inexpensive policy like I have so many others on this forum. See the link below for the Skoolie.net thread where I discuss this further.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:33 PM   #59
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyInTN View Post
As an insurance agent in TN/GA with a company that writes bus policies easily... I can say the often times the difficulty comes from the restrictions the state puts on the insurer on this particular line of business. Liberty Mutual (my company) has very few requirements to write a skoolie policy in TN/GA but can be quite a bit more difficult for Liberty Mutual agents in other states. Additionally some insurance companies (usually the smaller ones) have more requirements because the are skittish of the risk so they crank up the underwriting requirements to weed out much of the riskier ones. My suggestion, if you aren't in TN or GA try Progressive or National General. If you are in TN or GA I can write you a inexpensive policy like I have so many others on this forum. See the link below for the Skoolie.net thread where I discuss this further.
GOOD INFO!
BTW--He is in IOWA
Old 08-14-2018, 01:27 PM   #60
Bus Nut

Quote:
hmmmmmmmmmm.... I'm thinking you mean--- "centaur".

Whereas "satire" would be = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satire

You ginger guys are so hard to communicate with.......
Satyr is what i was going for...and us Gingers have no soul and cast spells and other such rubbish..except the soulless part..