Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 01:51 PM   #1
New Member
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1
insurance and registration Massachusetts

Hi everyone,

I am a Dutch visiting student, living in Boston Massachusetts for a year. Before heading back to the Netherlands, I am planning on making a two-month roadtrip with a friend of mine in a skoolie across the states (+- 8000 miles trip). I have some questions about insurance and registration and am hoping you could help us out.
We found a bus (International Carpenter Short bus) that we want to buy, but don't know what we have to do to get it insured and registered as an RV in Massachusetts after we have bought it.

- So it has to be converted to an RV and get new license plates (if I am right). Do we need to do all this at the RMV?
- Do we need any other kind of license our check? I read all kinds of things on the internet, so am a little confused...

Does anyone have any ideas where to start? We are going to the RMV tomorrow, but don't know if we get all our answers there...
Besides, how much will this registration process cost us approximately?
What can I expect to pay for insurance?

Hopefully you can help us out.
Thank you very much,

Stijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
Bus Geek
bansil's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: MNT CITY TN
Posts: 5,158
Re: insurance and registration Massachusetts

Best thing is to go to DMV or email tag and registration office and ask them,good luck
Our build La Tortuga
Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.
George S. Patton
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 01:13 PM   #3
New Member
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1
Unhappy Current situation

Did you find any answers on this?? This is my current issue and I am completely lost
MAamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 02:28 PM   #4
Bus Geek
Robin97396's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Willamina, Oregon
Posts: 6,409
Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
This is not my business since I'm in Oregon, but have you considered registering it as a van? Sometimes that's easier depending on the state.

Just thinking, because in most states to be a motorhome you have to have plumbing, toilet, cooking facilities and more. Other states you can register as a motorhome just by asking. Just be flexible with what fits your situation.
Nobody's Business
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Registration/Insurance in CA DarkLotus Titles, Insurance, Registration and Money Matters 2 02-19-2012 10:59 PM
registration/insurance as a foreigner adam Titles, Insurance, Registration and Money Matters 2 11-01-2009 08:00 PM
Registration/Insurance in IL ryder90 Titles, Insurance, Registration and Money Matters 3 04-09-2009 12:13 PM
Registration/Insurance in WA vs. TX reprobate Titles, Insurance, Registration and Money Matters 0 07-25-2008 08:38 PM
Skoolie Gonna Be needs HELP! Massachusetts Insurance ????? ClaudeB Titles, Insurance, Registration and Money Matters 8 01-26-2007 01:42 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.