Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2009, 07:23 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

insurance before title change?

hi everyone

sorry about the multiple posts but i really need to get this sorted soon..

as ive said before im from new zealand and doing a 3 month trip round the states. i have lined up a ford e450 shuttle bus in upstate new york and i will be driving it to maine and registering it as an rv there. it is currently on an open title so has no plates. i have been in contact with the maine dmv and they can print temporary transport plates and even send them to new york where i am flying into so i can pick the bus up on the way( after having a good look at it!) my current problem is that i need to provide proof of insurance for them to print the plates.. i was initially going to resister/insure it as a van, but all the places i have rung so far will only insure an e450 as a commercial vehicle which id rather avoid.. so my only other option is rv insurance? my question is do i just ring them up and say id like to insure an rv, here's the vin? or will they trace it and work out it isnt one yet.. i guess i could just get commercial insurance for the 5 hour trip to maine but would it end up costing the earth? any help would be greatly appreciated i really need to get onto it not long left now till ill be picking up the bus! surprisingly all the companies ive rung so far have been happy to insure a foreigner, its just what ill be driving which is the problem

thank you
adam.

adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:17 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Re: insurance before title change?

update: progressive cant even do commercial as there is a 500mile trave limit! any advice anyone? will i get away with just saying its an rv?
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:50 PM   #3
Bus Nut

I got a 30 day commercial policy for my bus when I bought it so I could drive it across state from where I got it from. Cost me around $36 for the one month policy from State Farm. This may be the best way around it...

Since you are putting Maine tags on it, you could try contacting a Maine Insurance agency and let their agent worry about getting things done. You friend in Maine should be able to recommend an agent or agency for you to contact. That would be the simplest way to get it done, they do all the research, they have the inside scoop on most insurance companies, and will work it all out for you. Using an agent really doesn't cost any more than going directly to the insurance company as they work on commission from the insurance company anyway, prices are normally the same whether you use an agent or not...

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:25 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

They don't want to be responsible for something you don't own, since if it blows up before you buy it you haven't suffered a loss.

On the other hand, I've never had a problem post-dating insurance for a vehicle. I tell the agent I'm getting VIN# xxx on Monday, make the down payment, and he makes the insurance period start on Monday. If it doesn't work out, I can bring the cards back and cancel.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote