Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #1

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Flat Nose
Engine: 5.9
Insurance for New Skoolie

I am new to Skoolie's and have enjoyed researching this site,a lot of great information.I am getting everything prepared to pickup my new project a 1992 Bluebird TC2000 72 passenger this weekend. Went to the license bureau in MO and purchased trip permit to bring unit from AR to MO for $7.50. Cleaned a bay out in my shop. I work for a major insurance company that insures RV's, Side by Sides, 4 Wheeler's and Boats, but not Skoolie's or Hovercraft's. I called Progressive, Allstate, State Farm and Allied. They would only insure bus under a commercial policy. Called GMAC and got a very rude person who said they would not cover it period. I called GMAC back to voice my thoughts of how rude the representative was. The next representative was a great guy. He advised they would insure it for $170 a year for liability coverage. Done deal, should have policy emailed to me tomorrow. If anyone is looking for coverage I believe this is a no brainier. I will move my antique truck over to GMAC next week which will get me an even lower rate.

Now The Fun Begins

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: Insurance for New Skoolie

as always, you need to tell gmac that you have a converted bus.. not one that will be converted someday.

i use haggerty agreed value policies for all my antique cars and street rods.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:41 PM   #3

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Flat Nose
Engine: 5.9
Re: Insurance for New Skoolie

I told them in detail that it was a newly purchased school bus that I was taking home to do a RV conversion. He read the policy info that stated school bus that was going to be converted or in conversion process could be covered for liability only. I had to buy the full year of coverage to do this.
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote