Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2006, 06:04 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

insurance frustration

The state says the title can't be changed to RV status. So far, my insurance quote is over $600 with a 200 mile radius travel limit. That's because they won't insure it as an RV, but as a bus.

I am beginning to get annoyed here.

Jody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 11:46 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

I take all the bad thoughts I was having about my agent. I called her one more time, and she gave me the policy I needed. I paid $81 for 6 months of liability, and went straight to the tag office and got my tag for $38.

I almost kissed her. I am street legal!
Jody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:12 AM   #3

Year: 1987
Chassis: Ford F-700
Engine: V8
Rated Cap: 65
Re: insurance frustration

I just bought a bus and am trying to get it insured. Ohio has a lot of requirements for converting to an RV so I'm trying to get it insured as a bus.
I have talked to every insurance company I know of including GMAC and State Farm which everyone here says they have insurance with, and they
told me that they do not insure buses!! The only company I can get a quote from is Progressive and thats for 1300 a year for liability only!!!!

What am I doing wrong. Nobody else here has rates even close to that!

any help greatly appreciated

-Squee
Squee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 01:05 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Mine is (er was... I let it lapse for the winter) insured though progressive "drive" insurance as a motorhome. It runs 300/year for the basic coverage. I guess you can only get that drive insurance though a progressive agent, not the national 1-800 number.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:03 PM   #5

Year: 1978
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: Chev 366 V-8 truck
Rated Cap: 12

Hi folks. If you follow that other guy's advice about putting in a toilet and then changing the title to show "RV" it will help a lot. Having a toilet is GOOD.!! Do a thorough WEB search for insurance. I found "Progressive" to be reasonable. Under $400 for liability only on my 1978 Blue Bird skoolie 60 passenger which is titleD as an RV.
I live in Utah. The registration people allow you to set the GVW limit between the minimum weight of an empty bus and the max GVW with cost varying depending on what you want to register it as its weight. As a RV, the maximum weight may be much less than if you were using the unit either as a bus or as a truck.
Ruts of Ruck .... Do not dispare, things will work out, be positive, keeping on truckng ... ooopps, I mean bussing.

Happy bus trails to you. david 73 w 0 r m v ... LONG LIVE LINUX..!!
eleskooly is offline   Reply With Quote