Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2020, 08:39 AM   #61
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by the7exp View Post
Would this also fall under commercial for personal use? The issue with my vehicle is due to the dimensions it has to be registered as a commercial vehicle regardless. I've called State Farm and Geico, but they're closed today so I have to call tommorow.
If the state motor vehicle department is telling you it has to be on a commercial auto policy then you'll have to listen. If the insure carrier is telling you that then you might be able to do a personal or rv policy with another carrier. They all have different rules/rates filed with the state.

What do you have that you're being told it has to be on a commercial policy?

Also remember that not all states offer commercial for personal use. So while some people have been able to do that, it's not an option everywhere.

M.L. Sutphin Insurance Agency, Inc.
Make it simple - we insure it all!
15402663074 | 14344736244
sutphinins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:55 AM   #62
Bus Geek

Sometimes easier to just change states
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 10:51 AM   #63
Skoolie

Chassis: GMC 3500 Thomas
Engine: 6.0 L GAS
Define "full time" hahahaha..........If I'm not in my bus during daytime hours then it's parked. If they don't specifically ask " do you sleep in your bus?" then I wonder. I would presume to always keep in mind you're just on a "short 2 week vacation" no matter where you are and no matter who asks ( and keep a home mailing address )
skidfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 10:58 AM   #64
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidfrog View Post
Define "full time" hahahaha..........If I'm not in my bus during daytime hours then it's parked. If they don't specifically ask " do you sleep in your bus?" then I wonder. I would presume to always keep in mind you're just on a "short 2 week vacation" no matter where you are and no matter who asks ( and keep a home mailing address )
The issue with trying to "fool the insurance company" is that they are a for profit gig. Your contract says if you misrepresent yourself in this policy, the policy becomes void...

So if you just ran over a couple baby carriages by mistake because your brakes failed and the company is looking at paying out millions of dollars you can quickly see how the insurance company might try and figure out a way to void the policy before paying on the policy. Nothing personal here, just business as usual...

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 11:01 AM   #65
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Sometimes easier to just change states
Is this why the Dakotas are popular "home states" for full time RVers?

Maybe it would be helpful to have a Skoolie.net wiki where contributors can have pages like Insurance, etc. Forums are great for discussion and the wiki could reference forum posts for citation.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 11:10 AM   #66
Skoolie

Your tagline is "the murder bus !?" But no....I'm not talking about fooling a company.....I'm talking about responding in kind to their own small print. I have 2 in-laws who work in insurance and a few anecdotes of my own . I was hanging a painting in an insurance office once and overheard them arguing about a policy for a man who was doing odd jobs and sometimes pulled a trailer with his car. He said too much. They wanted to charge him a commercial policy coupled with a trailer liability . He was just a retired man who wanted to cut a few lawns for $20. What he SHOULD have done is say nothing.....because it's legal to pull a trailer with your car regardless and you're covered under a normal drivers policy.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:17 AM   #67
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
But no....I'm not talking about fooling a company.....I'm talking about responding in kind to their own small print.
Maybe its just me, but if you're making the argument that its bad when they do it, I think you have to fall on that sword and accept that its bad when _you_ do it.

I get the frustration, but calling a pig with lipstick on "babe" doesn't change what it is.

Quote:
They wanted to charge him a commercial policy coupled with a trailer liability . He was just a retired man who wanted to cut a few lawns for $20. What he SHOULD have done is say nothing.....because it's legal to pull a trailer with your car regardless and you're covered under a normal drivers policy.
There's certainly a lot of inconsistency and rigid policies lead to bad/nonsense outcomes. Not saying any of that is okay, but the above points stand- once you go to collect on that policy be prepared to be cut loose if you as you say "respond in kind to the fine print".

And whoa- looking at your profile it seems you have the same shorty I do. Cool.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 11:50 AM   #68
Skoolie

The stories my in laws tell me work the other way . They end up paying out....sometimes even on expired policies because they know they didn't get an explicit exclusion for certain things. I'm pretty sure that's why skoolie conversions stop them in their tracks.

With my own insurance my broker heard me say the word "bus" and locked on to it. She insisted I would be driving passengers ; I showed her pictures with the seats removed....she insisted I would probably just put them back in after and quoted me $4500. The dealer I bought from gave me a friends contact.....he just asked "make and model" and I got commercial insurance because it's technically a GMC cut-away. $1000 annual . He didn't need pictures and explained that a proper agent or broker is required to insure what it IS...not what it MIGHT be later.
Old 04-27-2020, 12:48 PM   #69
Almost There

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Girardian Handicapped Commercial
Chassis: E-450
Engine: Ford 7.3L
Rated Cap: 9,000
State farm is $1,000 a year here in upstate NY. $1,900 with the seats still in it. It is commercial due to the weight until converted to RV. Once I do the 6 things. Bed, cooking, power, water, toilet, fridge It goes down to $500 a year. I think through General at that time.
mc11237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 02:26 PM   #70
Mini-Skoolie

Call Andrew at Brick House Insurance Agency LLC 209 Lark St. Albany, NY 12210 (51 412-4244 He can get you on the right path of insurance the school bus cheap
AlexLasVegasBusSales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 05:18 PM   #71
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Your tagline is "the murder bus !?"
SNIP...
As in "murdered out" the slang term for painting a vehicle flat-black...

It's how the bus came to me -- at least it's not yellow...

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote