Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2007, 09:11 AM   #1

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Insurance. I called GMAC yesterday.

I got a quote from GMAC yesterday. The lady on the phone told me that because it was a conversion, GMAC would only write me a liability policy. For 250/500k liability and 10k medical, the cost would be $202 every 6 months. There would be no coverage on the bus except for $3500 uninsured motorist. $202 for that much liability coverage is not bad, but I want full coverage. Has anyone else had the same problem with them?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 10:06 AM   #2
Bus Nut

I've had GMAC insurance for several years now. As you found out they will not write full coverage on a "conversion"; they will however write a full coverage policy on a motorhome. They told me when I started with them that once I was finished to send them photos and whatever documentation I had on the conversion and after review they could change the designation of my bus to "motorhome" if they deemed the work worthy of that. Sounds fair enough to me; if I were in their position I wouldn't want to issue full coverage insurance on a poorly done rig with questionable installations of electrical systems, propane systems, and such. I don't see their position on full coverage as a "problem", especially given that darn few companies will even offer liability on a conversion bus much less full coverage if you do the work to a professional standard.

I intend to photograph all my installation work, draw up schematics (which will help me later anyway), and write up an Owner's Manual of sorts describing the safety features and operation of each system as if I were doing the conversion for someone other than my self. I'll submit that to them when I'm done and see how it goes.

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Les Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 10:40 AM   #3

Was the quote I was given in line with what you pay?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 03-01-2007, 09:51 PM   #4
Bus Nut

I pay $300/year through prgressive. I just have the basic coverage - PLPD
Old 03-02-2007, 02:32 AM   #5

What sort of limits. When asked, I said that I wanted the max. That was 250k/500k. Is that what you have?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 03-02-2007, 06:28 PM   #6
Bus Nut

I just have the least coverage, Michigan is a "no fault" insurance state.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:45 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillbus914
I just have the least coverage, Michigan is a "no fault" insurance state.
me too

i think michigan is kind of an expensive insurance state though
Old 03-03-2007, 09:41 AM   #8

So is the price I got pretty good? I thought someone told me that insurance would run me $150-200 per year, but probably not with those limits.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 03-12-2007, 04:47 PM   #9

Havung trouble there, my agent says Progressive won't even write any policy for a "former" school bus, is that a MN thing or what? I need to get at least the legal minimum for liability, any advice?
Old 03-12-2007, 04:50 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
I have insurance through State Farm have you tried them yet?
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 05:30 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
It must be a Minnesota thing or something because I called Progressive when I got my bus just to see what they would charge. They relayed me to their commercial department who quoted me $1500 for 6 months of liability only I only paid $1250 for the bus in the first place!

I ended up with State Farm (Mary Eddy Samuelson out of Virginia) for my insurance on the bus. It was convenient because she was the cheapest at ~$200 per year and she already was doing all my other insurance.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:05 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Progressive wouldn't insure me either, at least not directly. I had to go through an agent - Its called "drive insurance" (whatever that means) but you can only get it through an agent. I've seen it advertised on tv.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:45 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: International
Engine: INternational DTA 360
got the min from GMAC

I'm in Cali and I believe having insurance forced down my throat by government mandate is un american so I bought the min needed to be legal. Insurance companies just try to weasel out of paying out when you call on them anyway, so it's paying something for nothing as far as I can see. Long and Short of it I pay $130 a year.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:29 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Having insurance forced down your throat has nothing to do with you. It has to do with making sure everyone gets medical attention following an accident and making sure you get compensated if someone else hits you. Lawsuits to recover funds are all fine and dandy, but you can't squeeze blood from a turnip. If someone hit me, I'd much rather deal with their insurance company than take the person themselves to court.

That said, I also have the minimal amount of insurance on my bus because I figure I'm going to win in an accident. With a typical deductible being $500 and having only paid $1250 for hte bus, I can't see getting full coverage.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:44 PM   #15

Ditto. I have had several cars damaged by uninsured drivers. That is why I carry uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage on all my vehicles. I too live in California and am sick and tired of being choked to death by you can't do this, you can't do that. But I do agree on making insurance mandatory.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 03-14-2007, 09:57 AM   #16
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven
Havung trouble there, my agent says Progressive won't even write any policy for a "former" school bus, is that a MN thing or what? I need to get at least the legal minimum for liability, any advice?
Did you try GMAC? No one that I know of has had any trouble getting insurance for their bus through them.

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Les Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:32 PM   #17

Just got my policy today. $189 for 6 months. I'm OK with that. Did it over the phone. Very painless. Thsnks for all the tips.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 03-15-2007, 09:55 AM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: International
Engine: INternational DTA 360
Don't mean to be devisive

I know I'm off topic sorta, I just don't believe a persons freedoms should be infringed upon because someone might get inconvenienced or it might cost someone else some money maybe. Thats not a valid reason for the government to tell me I have to do something. Is it smart to buy some insurance? probably, just as it's smart to wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle, but it's not the governments job to be our parents and coddle us from birth to death lest we get a boo boo. I personally choose to wear protective gear when I do something I feel warrants it, but it's my choice. That's why I have a problem with manditory insurance coverage. It's not a life or death thing, it's a convenience for every one else, and if we violate a mans rights over a convenience where does it stop? Sorry I'm off my soapbox thingy now, I'll go along and be a good little drone and play by all the rules now.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:26 PM   #19

First, let me say that I'm right there with you about government taking over every aspect of our lives. Making up laws that are so stupid it hurts. Pretty soon, we will have to analyze our crap before we flush or we will get a citation. But I am on the other side of the fence about insurance. Driving is not one of your God given rights. It's a privilege. If you want to ride your motorcycle without a helmet, go right ahead. If you want to ride your motorcycle without insurance, that's another story. I don't care what you do to yourself, I care what you might do to me and who's going to pay. What if you(not you specifically) are one of those a-holes that does wheelies down the freeway at 80 mph, but you're just a beginner and crash into my car. Maybe that person doesn't have insurance or two nickels to rub together. Why should I pay more to over-insure myself against the losers without insurance. What if you hit me and I'm walking down the sidewalk. Then who pays. In my case, my uninsured motorist coverage. But many people do have that on their policies. If you are worried about your rights being taken away, don't bother looking at the insurance issue. Look everywhere else.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 03-15-2007, 07:36 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Can anyone explain how "no fault" insurance works... I just have the minimum required (PLPD) and live in a no fault state, it seems like a huge waste of money to me.

I don't see how it can be mandatory to have insurance on a vehicle when 45.8 million Americans cant afford health insurance. Whats more important?