Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2019, 09:56 PM   #41
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Cummins ISC 260HP/660Q/MD3060 6spd
Rated Cap: 81
I literally set my insurance up 3 weeks ago. Try Aviva. It’s the same office as RV Direct (in Calgary anyway). Maybe whoever you spoke with was misguided.

Bon Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:58 PM   #42
Bus Nut

Try this number 403-271-7831
Old 08-27-2019, 01:42 PM   #43

Year: 1967
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: SV345
Apparently as of YESTERDAY, they no longer insure conversions, as per an email sent by Aviva. Anyone who had insurance previously will probably be grandfathered until renewal, then forced to redirect. My last hope is Nordic.
Dearoldad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 04:43 PM   #44
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearoldad View Post
Apparently as of YESTERDAY, they no longer insure conversions, as per an email sent by Aviva. Anyone who had insurance previously will probably be grandfathered until renewal, then forced to redirect. My last hope is Nordic.

despite the many drawbacks of having to deal with ICBC in BC, there are a few positives - a bus can be insured as a motor home when it meets the carefully worded ( easy to understand ) requirements and passes the inspection ( pretty much the same as most jurisdictions - 4 out of 6 ) - the inspection can be done at any of the many garages that are licensed to do inspections - once it passes, you get your MH status, your license plate and insurance in one motion at the ICBC office - you can also get your out of province safety inspection done at the same time as your MH verification inspection - the bus ( aka conversion ) has to at least pass the safety inspection before it can be licensed and insured
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 07:13 PM   #45
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearoldad View Post
That’s terrible! I wonder why the sudden change in policy.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:59 PM   #46

Skid frog, where abouts in Ontario?
Williamralf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:12 AM   #47

Year: 1967
Engine: SV345
Alberta Insurance

After much searching, it sounds like Nordic is the only remaining option in Alberta. They start at $1500/year for basic liability. There is another company called Johnson who might cover them, but only if you are a current member in good standing, they would not do a stand-alone or let me transfer my other policies over to get coverage.
Dearoldad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:30 PM   #48
Bus Nut

I asked the other place in Alberta why they stopped taking bus conversions; they said it’s because they were getting too many calls about it. I guess too many people were bothering them and not setting a policy up and just asking questions... maybe... too bad. Those who were in are ok to stay in.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:33 PM   #49
Bus Nut

Here’s one that might work for Alberta. Canada Brokerlink at 403-209-6300. A insurance guy I used to deal with said it would be worth a try. Try not to pester them...
Old 09-19-2019, 11:30 AM   #50

Year: 2010
I might have found a way for insurance in Alberta!
Currently, I am in the process of purchasing a bus to convert, I have been researching for months, and recently I got to look into insurance. I came across this thread and the challenges Canadians are hiving with insurance. so I called a handful of brokers and everyone said no. When I got back to reading the post, I realized that the problem could be the term "bus conversion."
I called my current car insurance company and said I would like to ensure a custom motor home. They took the vehicle information (a ford shuttle bus) and gave me a quote base on the vehicle and estimated total value after the "customization." I assured that all the work will be done professionally... I am waiting for the final number as this has to go through their writers.
Hope that's helpful!
noraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 11:53 AM   #51
Skoolie

Chassis: GMC 3500 Thomas
Engine: 6.0 L GAS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamralf View Post
Skid frog, where abouts in Ontario?

Sorry I missed the message ; The dealer I bought my bus from in Belleville recommended a cooperators agent in Peterborough .

https://www.cooperators.ca/local/shawn-lapalm

As I read.....yes....the wording is crucial. Say the word "Bus" and they all seem to lose their minds . Mine is registered as a GMC 3500 cutaway van on my ownership and the ministry ticked the box "cargo" instead of "bus" ( for the dealer ) so I pay as though it is a cargo van. Once I get it fully converted and inspected I'll have to research whether "RV" or "Motorhome" is exactly the same thing or not . "custom"....not "conversion" .
skidfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 04:00 PM   #52

Transfer of Ownership without insurance

Hi all!

Am looking at a bus currently but having this seemingly age old insurance problem... I have a spot to park it and the seller could probably be convinced (or paid) to drive it to that location. I could work on the conversion at this location and put in 4 of the required elements of an "RV certification" before ever having to drive it on the road...

my question is how do I get ownership transferred without being insured? I believe when you go to service ontario to transfer ownership that is something they request?

Any help is appreciated!!!

Thanks,

A hopefull skoolie
jawnytonneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 05:49 PM   #53
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawnytonneau View Post
Hi all!

Am looking at a bus currently but having this seemingly age old insurance problem... I have a spot to park it and the seller could probably be convinced (or paid) to drive it to that location. I could work on the conversion at this location and put in 4 of the required elements of an "RV certification" before ever having to drive it on the road...

my question is how do I get ownership transferred without being insured? I believe when you go to service ontario to transfer ownership that is something they request?

Any help is appreciated!!!

Thanks,

A hopefull skoolie
I was able to transfer the title to my name without registration. No insurance was required for that. It may be different in Canada. I told them it would be inoperable for a year and that I would register it at that time.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:38 AM   #54
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawnytonneau View Post
Hi all!

You can transfer ownership in Ontario without insurance no problem.
The caveat being that it will put the vehicle into an "unfit" state. This now means that you can't get temporary (10 day) plates to transport it. Bringing it to a mechanic for a safety inspection becomes more difficult this way because you'll either need to get it towed or sneak by any cops.

If you have insurance and the vehicle was previously in a "fit" state then the vehicle will be transferred to you in a "fit" state which means you can get temporary plates.
Old 12-27-2019, 03:15 PM   #55
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue-Bird
Chassis: TC RE 3408
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12V Mechanical/Allison MT643
Rated Cap: Blue-Bird says 72 pass.
I don't know about Ontario, but when I lived in BC we could get temp insurance to go with the temp permits at the same govt office, which was very handy. And then it just expired after 48 hours I think it was. People complain about ICBC, including me, but that is much simpler than trying to find temporary insurance to transport a vehicle here in Oregon.
gs1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 10:31 PM   #56

hello everyone . i am in edmonton alberta and i struggled to get insurance but i lucked out with Jay.
his number is 1 403 988 402
he was able to gey my 10 kg bus insured . tell him jesse sent ya
cheers everyone love the community
888thenumberofthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 02:14 PM   #57
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: GMC B7 T042
Engine: GM 454 7.4L Gas
Rated Cap: 66pas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 888thenumberofthebus View Post
hello everyone . i am in edmonton alberta and i struggled to get insurance but i lucked out with Jay.
his number is 1 403 988 402
he was able to gey my 10 kg bus insured . tell him jesse sent ya
cheers everyone love the community
Thanks for the tip, could not have come at a better time for me! I was planning on starting my move to BC next week to get insurance. Nordic has been the only company to quote for me in AB for about triple the cost of doing so in BC
Will give him a call tomorrow!

Will save a lot of hassle (and 12% import tax on purchase price) if I can stay in AB
the.brum.bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 04:33 PM   #58

insurance

awesome. the company isnt nordeg jay is a broker under dejardins . i forgot to mention on my post but he managed to get me a year of basic for under a thousand .
888thenumberofthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 03:24 PM   #59
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: GMC B7 T042
Engine: GM 454 7.4L Gas
Rated Cap: 66pas
update on my findings for anyone looking in Alberta.

I've managed to find a couple of options with insurance in the end and successfully been able to get insurance! It's been nearly 2 months since I purchased the bus and I have spend 50+ hours on the phone to so many insurers and brokers. Below is a summary of the options i was able to find in the end:

-Allstate insurance: Ended up getting insured with Allstate. They do not offer standalone motorhome policies but I was able to transfer my personal car insurance to be able to get the bus insured. I was careful to not mention the word schoolbus - just the make and model of my MOTORHOME (2000 GMC B7). They recognised my Australian driving history and no inspection, photos, etc. had to be provided. Cost $400/year comprehensive (plus an increase of $350 while transferring my car insurance)

-Desjardins insurance: Will provide standalone insurance only once the conversion has been completed and photos provided. Quoted ~$500/year for Liability only. Beware online reviews of desjardins are not great

-Nordic Insurance: Offer standalone insurance for school bus conversions provided that proof of motorhome conversion is provided within 12 months. $3600/year liability only for the first year. Once converted comprehensive insurance can be provided but its even more expensive

-Co-operators Insurance: Will insure motorhomes if you already have an existing policy for car and home insurance. Do not mention school bus - just the make and model. Do not recognise driving experience outside north america.

hope this helps someone in the future!
the.brum.bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 06:27 PM   #60

Year: 2007
Chassis: Bluebird
Hello everyone,

This is my first post on this forum.

Today I've had a look at a 2007 Bluebird in Ontario, Canada. The bus seems to be in pretty good condition. I'm putting the pricing together and now I'm looking at the insurance. I've called with 4 companies today, and indeed, like mentioned previously in this topic, as soon as I mention the word Bus, they say they can't do it.

I won't be able to put it as a secondary insured vehicle, as I don't have a car yet (just moved to Canada few months ago).

I'll try calling all above mentioned contact persons and insurance companies tomorrow and see what comes out.

Also looking forward to connect with fellow Ontario Skoolies!

Thanks and looking forward to this project

Mark
Marker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circus, facility, insurance, ontario, wvo