Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2008, 08:19 PM   #1

Year: 1995
Coachwork: iNTERnational
Rated Cap: 42
Insurance in New York State

So i bought my bus after a long time saving up the money and taking my time to find the best deal. i have a 1995 international 42 pas. bus ^^. it was great working on it and making my plans... until i tried to find someone to insure it. I'm now starting to freak out a little bit. i've called every major insurance company and a bunch out of the yellowpages, and everyone has turned me down, because it's not "professionally" converted. Right now i have removed all the seats, and re-painted it. im just wondering if anyone can give me ideas for insurance companies, and/or the minimum amount of things i need to do to the bus to get it insured. I'm in no real hurry, but im 21, working minimum wage, and it took me about 8 months to save up the money for the bus. the only hope i've had was ny state insurance would do it for 3,500, but thats so much its not even worth it, the buss cost less. any and all tips someone could give me would be greatly appreciated.

"dont gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold"

THANKS!!

weatherReport322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:09 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Crown
Engine: 671 DD
Send a message via MSN to Roasting8 Send a message via Yahoo to Roasting8
Re: Insurance in New York State

Hi ,

First off, welcome to the club. You'll find a lot of information here to help you with your conversion.

On insurance. Try GMAC insurance. They are tthe ones that insure for Good Sams.

If you have any trouble, call Good Sams and have them help you with your insurance. You'll have a membership fee to join, but at least you can get insurance.

Don't expect to get full coverage, they will only give you liability coverage.
Roasting8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 03:17 PM   #3

Thanks, for the tips everyone. i found personal insurance for it at 1,200 a year and im getting the policy, its only basic but i tried GMAC through a local provider and they told me they wouldn't. but i think NY has some really strict rules about motor homes and RV"s (no bus conversions :P). im actually driving it down to Texas next week to stay with a friend for a few months, so i think im going to try to find a new policy there. i think i might have better luck.

thanks for the tips let me know if u hear anything about companies that will take skoolies recently.

"Dont gain the world and lose your soul, Wisdom is better that silver and gold"

~~~~~~PEaCE~~~~~
Old 12-19-2008, 06:53 PM   #4

Hello again,

long story short, i got insurance with a local provider, and i wanted to thank everyone for the tips. Right now im in the bus and on the road, in south texas now and heading to AZ soon.

hope to see you all out there